Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on MLB possibly putting up nets from foul pole to foul pole?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
What are your thoughts?

I'm personally not a fan of the idea.

I don't like that the nets would obstruct the views from both the lower seats and the upper deck.

I don't like that after 100+ years of the game being played this way, that the game would be changed so drastically.

I just heard Golic and someone else talking on the radio, asking if someone is going to have to die before this is instituted. People know the risks when they buy the tickets. People should actually pay attention to the game. Accidents happen, but again, you know the risk you are putting yourself in when you attend a game. People can choke on peanuts and hot dogs. Should MLB stop selling solid foods at the ballpark too, just because someone may die?

How many people have fell from the upper deck down to the seats below? Should they put up a net preventing that too?

Heck, Josh Hamilton had a part in killing a guy, should we ban outfield walls and bullpens?

No. People should pay more attention while at the games, and not be complete morons and fall down to their deaths.

I'm not in favor of changing the game, just because of a few instances. Even if someone does die. It's sad, but don't make such a drastic change for the masses, just because a handful of people have been hurt.

Im probably wrong though. I always am.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
No . Local minor league team added some netting recent but still people need to pay attention .
Bat personal need to be in dugout - son was batboy and many fouls came close to hitting him. I've fallen many times trying to get a foul ball

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
It's coming and probably should do so. They do it in Japan at all their games. Since most of the sports stadiums are tax paper funded and owned, seems like liability would fall on the stadium owner and not the 'event holder'. Im sure there's legal issues pushing these nets more so than safety. All you have to do is look on tv at all of the people in the stands looking at their phones and not the game. We had taken my sister last year to a Reds game and I bet she watched her phone for 99% of the game. When it was over, she asked if we were done and she couldnt have been more happy about it.

Fordman

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
It's coming and probably should do so. They do it in Japan at all their games. Since most of the sports stadiums are tax paper funded and owned, seems like liability would fall on the stadium owner and not the 'event holder'. Im sure there's legal issues pushing these nets more so than safety. All you have to do is look on tv at all of the people in the stands looking at their phones and not the game. We had taken my sister last year to a Reds game and I bet she watched her phone for 99% of the game. When it was over, she asked if we were done and she couldnt have been more happy about it.

Fordman

We shouldn't make the masses suffer just because a bunch of insufferable douches want to stare at their phones the entire game.

My phone stays in my pocket unless I'm taking a picture.

If I'm at the game I watch the game.

If anyone is staring at their cell phone or tablet at a ballpark and gets smoked in the face with a 150mph foul ball, I don't feel bad for them in the slightest. Pay attention to the game, that's what you are there for.

I would be completely miserable if I had to go to a game where I was sitting behind a net down the baseline. I wouldn't go if those were the only seats I could get.

I sit in the outfield 99% of the time anyway.

But honestly, I don't want to sit an look at hundreds of feet of net, while trying to enjoy a baseball game.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I think they'll start by extending it to the ends of the dugouts and they probably should. I think it's silly to generalize that all these people are just staring at their phones. Though I'm sure that has been the case in a few, nonetheless there are baseballs screaming into the stands and 50 people's hands go up and then we expect an elderly person or anyone for that matter to somehow maintain enough focus to avoid getting pegged? That's not mentioning the broken bat pieces that come in helicoptering. I realize it sounds like a big deal but I honesty don't think it would take anything away after getting used to it for an inning or two. If you sit behind the plate you're not really even conscious of it until it saves your backside

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Based on its usage in leagues around the world and the fact that some sports (like hockey) have other obstructions I think people are overestimating the degree it impacts the view.

And as for people blaming the fans, it's insane. There are little kids in the stands for starters. Beyond that the goal of a ballgame is to have fun. If for some that means more time socializing and less time watching, that's their business. They don't have to be subject to risk sitting there...

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Based on its usage in leagues around the world and the fact that some sports (like hockey) have other obstructions I think people are overestimating the degree it impacts the view.

And as for people blaming the fans, it's insane. There are little kids in the stands for starters. Beyond that the goal of a ballgame is to have fun. If for some that means more time socializing and less time watching, that's their business. They don't have to be subject to risk sitting there...

I think that in the history of Major League Baseball 99.9999999999999% of the people who have attended a game have made it through it just fine though.

Freak accidents happen. If you put up a net, it's just going to be something else. It's just a matter of time.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Foul pole to Foul pole is DUMB
End of the dugouts is fine by me.

That'd be fine by me too. I wouldn't mind if the dugouts were actually blocked.

I don't WANT any fans getting hit by a baseball, but I REALLY don't want a player getting hit by one while sitting in the dugout.

Players > Fans in my opinion.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I think that, even if you're lazer-focused on the game, there is nothing you can do if a screaming foul ball comes at you on a line. I think nets would help.

But this is also just an over-reaction to three close-together events this one summer. Golic asking if "some has to die" is dumb, because there have been over 100 years of baseball; seems like they would have thought of it by now. I can see taking it to the edges of the dug-outs, but that still wouldn't really have helped that lady the other night.

Also, as dangerous as it is (and as selfish as it is for me to say this), I would miss the plays of the fielders going into the stands. Those are some great plays (though, admittedly, very dangerous for the players).

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I think that, even if you're lazer-focused on the game, there is nothing you can do if a screaming foul ball comes at you on a line. I think nets would help.

But this is also just an over-reaction to three close-together events this one summer. Golic asking if "some has to die" is dumb, because there have been over 100 years of baseball; seems like they would have thought of it by now. I can see taking it to the edges of the dug-outs, but that still wouldn't really have helped that lady the other night.

Also, as dangerous as it is (and as selfish as it is for me to say this), I would miss the plays of the fielders going into the stands. Those are some great plays (though, admittedly, very dangerous for the players).

ONE person has died. A kid got hit with a foul ball 45 years ago at Dodger Stadium.

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
I think extending to the ends of the dugout is fine, similar to what they have done at NHL arenas. Having sat behind those nets I will say it hasn't made for any worse view than before they were up. I wouldn't want to see anyone get hurt by whether they are looking at a phone, keeping score, paying a hot dog vendor, or anything else.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
The Penn league team by me has it from home plate to 1st and 3rd base. I was behind it didn't seem to bother me. People just need to pay attention.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We shouldn't make the masses suffer just because a bunch of insufferable douches want to stare at their phones the entire game. .
This 100%. It's ridiculous to see how many "fans" in the stands are looking at their cell phones during games.
Baseball has been around for ~150 years and now all of the sudden people want nets put up because a bunch of bored women can't pay attention during a game?

In junior high in the late '80s, my friend Danny was hit in the forehead by a line-drive foul ball at Arlington Stadium when he looked down to get his drink. He had blood streaming down from his forehead and he got a concussion. It was scary but we laughed about it the next day. No one was demanding netting be put up. There was no newspaper article or activists demanding changes. It's the risk you take going to a game. Even the tickets say you assume the risk by attending.

Last edited:

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I think we should all live in bubbles w/our iPads & iPhones. I'm with Sam, if you watch a game, you better be there, watching said game, not your stupid ****ing phone. If you get waffled and you're not paying attention, **** you. You get what you deserve.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
This 100%. It's ridiculous to see how many "fans" in the stands are looking at their cell phones during games.
Baseball has been around for ~150 years and now all of the sudden people want nets put up because a bunch of bored women can't pay attention during a game?

In junior high in the late '80s, my friend Danny was hit in the forehead by a line-drive foul ball at Arlington Stadium when he looked down to get his drink. He had blood streaming down from his forehead and he got a concussion. It was scary but we laughed about it the next day. No one was demanding netting be put up. There was no newspaper article or activists demanding changes. It's the risk you take going to a game. Even the tickets say you assume the risk by attending.

Of the millions and millions and millions and MIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss of people who have attended a Major League Baseball game, to only have one human being die as a result of being hit with a foul ball says a lot. Some may say that one is too many, but it hasn't mattered in the last 45 years, so why does it matter now?

Terrible things happen every day. It's a part of life. Dale Earnhardt died, but I don't see people banning NASCAR. Tony Stewart killed a guy, but midget racing still goes on.

People need to stop being so butt-hurt over everything.

I have a 14 month old. And you know what? I don't sit anywhere there's a chance she'll be hit with a baseball. Because I'm SMART.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
What are your thoughts?

People should actually pay attention to the game.

People are stupid! That's why I reluctantly feel there needs to be netting extended at least to the first/third bases.

Parents seem to have quit teaching common sense in the 1990's, your baseball ticket (even in the minors) has the watch for flying balls, bats, etc. disclaimer, the PA announcer makes occasional announcements about that before the game and then throughout, and I know my home park has a "Fly Ball Zone" warning sign in sections where there is no net protection.

If that is not enough to get people to pay attention, I can only conclude people are stupid!

as for the inattention, I think you'll find the percentage higher than many posters here feel it is. Just watch a game on TV and from the 1B/3B zooms of the hitter, look at the people in the background, or watch the people around you during the middle of a half-inning and you'll see quite a bit of inattention for quite a few reasons.

Last edited:

porkchops

Dec 27, 2014
What's next , maybe ............. the pitcher should be made to drop his pants and get a good spanking by the batter for pitching him high and tight ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts