Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

supercollector or supercollection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I see these threads about a supercollector all the time and everyone seems to assume that it's single player driven.
there are some amazing player collections but what about the guys that collect certain sets? or in my case certain types of cards? don't those count as a supercollection or something else?
my griffey collection has seen 1500 plus unique cards (small compared to many) but if consider that supercollector

how about sweet spot autos? or of I include gameball, and sweet sigs my collection consists of over 700 different cards.

two different styles but to me it falls under the same umbrella.
thoughts? examples of other supercollection?

Last edited:

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I agree, a supercollector doesn't have to be a player collector. but you see the player collectors sharing more often so they get more attention.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I say supercollector can fit any style of collecting. Like Mox said, player guys drive the term because of the posting threads etc but that doesn't mean others don't fit in.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
There are a lot of team collectors who go all out too. I try to get as much Dodger related stuff as I can, especially oddball, but the sheer volume of possibilities makes completing anything but base sets a nightmare.

Technically, collector would refer to the person, where collection would refer to the items.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I remember the good old days when the Beckett showed up at my door each month, the first article I usually read was the super collector of the month, I loved seeing all the various collections, never once did I think to myself "this shouldn't count" anyone who collects anything to what most people would consider "a ridiculous amount" probably means it's in super territory.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Agreed. I was curious to see if anyone would push back and say it's a player only collection term. I enjoy seeing others varied collections.
we have a few users here off hand I can remember that only collect Pacific cards, or sample cards. I fully consider them supercollectors

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Collector

I've personally never liked the term "super collector"; we're just people who collect various items that hopefully we can afford. Just because someone has more time to search or more money to buy does that make them "super" for some reason?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I've personally never liked the term "super collector"; we're just people who collect various items that hopefully we can afford. Just because someone has more time to search or more money to buy does that make them "super" for some reason?
I don't think that's what I define the term as. I think it's a person who takes a certain subject or theme and tries as hard to complete or fill in as much as they can. It could be a player that is a common too so I don't translate it to funds. I think on the player or team side it's also people who may venture out to the oddball side as well. I personally don't see it as a negative. I consider myself a Clark SuperCollector but I don't have anywhere near the capital as others.

Ryan

Jul 22, 2016
There are a lot of team collectors who go all out too. I try to get as much Dodger related stuff as I can, especially oddball, but the sheer volume of possibilities makes completing anything but base sets a nightmare.

Technically, collector would refer to the person, where collection would refer to the items.
I love old Dodger stuff as well. Im not a huge Dodger fan but I grew up and live in LA so I have fond memories of the Dodgers when I was young. I found my Dodger police sets and my old Blue Crew membership plus a couple line drive newsletters. Team stuff is really fun to collect because there is so much of it. I love stadium give aways as well.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'd guess you'd find a lot of differing opinions on this if you really dug in deeper. I won't name the site, but I got a little put off by the "super collector" votes they were having, because it WAS about the quantity and content and not necessarily about the passion for the collection. It also required some sort of a site or inventory to even qualify for the vote. I never even considered "trying out" for the title.

I also believe that when using that term, it means much more coming from your peers than it does to announce yourself that you are a "super collector" of anything. I am not pointing you out or anyone else who may use the term, but if anyone thinks of a certain collection when a player name, team, set or whatever is mentioned, then it is likely that your reputation precedes you. The recognition from others that your collection stands out above the rest is proof that it is something special.

I don't think that's what I define the term as. I think it's a person who takes a certain subject or theme and tries as hard to complete or fill in as much as they can. It could be a player that is a common too so I don't translate it to funds. I think on the player or team side it's also people who may venture out to the oddball side as well. I personally don't see it as a negative. I consider myself a Clark SuperCollector but I don't have anywhere near the capital as others.

Ryan

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I do love the Dodger only sets (Keeblers, Police, Mothers, SGAs, etc.).
I love old Dodger stuff as well. Im not a huge Dodger fan but I grew up and live in LA so I have fond memories of the Dodgers when I was young. I found my Dodger police sets and my old Blue Crew membership plus a couple line drive newsletters. Team stuff is really fun to collect because there is so much of it. I love stadium give aways as well.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'd guess you'd find a lot of differing opinions on this if you really dug in deeper. I won't name the site, but I got a little put off by the "super collector" votes they were having, because it WAS about the quantity and content and not necessarily about the passion for the collection. It also required some sort of a site or inventory to even qualify for the vote. I never even considered "trying out" for the title.

I also believe that when using that term, it means much more coming from your peers than it does to announce yourself that you are a "super collector" of anything. I am not pointing you out or anyone else who may use the term, but if anyone thinks of a certain collection when a player name, team, set or whatever is mentioned, then it is likely that your reputation precedes you. The recognition from others that your collection stands out above the rest is proof that it is something special.
I don't define my collection based on others opinions. Like I said, I am not the too Clark collector, and that is what it is. If someone wants to term me as SuperCollector, ok, if not, I'll be just fine. I describe my collection as a SuperCollector because I don't just "collect" Clark. I want publications, photos, pins, statues, magnets, clothing etc etc so I just describe it as that because I think a lot of people understand it. If someone doesn't think my collection falls in it, that's ok.

Ryan

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
good discussion.

personally I don't care for the term myself but have been called that on several occasions.
you see people constantly ask what defines the term or if their collection fits up to this imagined standard that's supposedly above and beyond the rest.
As stated before, monetary value or financial ability seems to play a large part in many opinions unfortunately.
heck I would call [MENTION=2026]tramers[/MENTION] a supercollectuon just for the sheer amount of cards he has sorted and organized.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
haven't reached one million and I've heard many hoarders have . I am falling behind on having all in alpha order 75% are . Finally got a PADRE collector .
I do collect Matt Capps sweet spot autos and Nyjer Morgan letter autos .

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
I wouldn't concern myself as to whether you've achieved "supercollector" status in someone else's eyes as long as you are having fun collecting.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Collector

Ryan

Ryan,

I don't think there is a definition of the term "supercollector" so it's subjective. Like I stated I don't personally like the term. To me the term somewhat tries to elevate that person or collection to an elite status (just my view). I'm old school (basically old) and it's a hobby, not life, so I do it for fun and if it becomes more important than God, family, friends, etc. it becomes sad, not super. Am I a super collector the answer is "no"; am I a collector then it would "yes".

Now I really enjoy seeing young people in the hobby so if you like the term then go ahead and use it; fine with me. I just don't think you'd find too many older folks who would use the term to refer to their collection or anyone else's collection for that matter.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
I wouldn't concern myself as to whether you've achieved "supercollector" status in someone else's eyes as long as you are having fun collecting.

Bingo. I think Beckett really took the term supercollector and ran with it. We ignore Beckett for prices, so why not ignore this too? :D :D

Members online