Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NL CY Young

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
With maybe 1 start left each (if any), I think it's a good time to discuss. I really think it's a 3 horse race, with Kershaw, Arietta, and Greinke. Who do you think deserves it? Who do you think will actually win it?

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
It's either Greinke or Arrieta. I'd say it's Arrieta's to lose now, though. He's been so dominant, has a no-hitter, and is finishing strong. Greinke is certainly deserving, but he's faltered just a bit and then missed his most recent start. He'll have to dominate the Giants tonight to have any kind of a chance.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Dodger fan here. I love Kershaw and Greinke, and think they have had tremendous seasons.

But the Cy Young Award has to go to Arrieta. 20+ game winner, whip at .88, ERA at 1.82. Some could even make the argument he is an MVP contender too, mainly because the Cubs are playoff bound for the first time in years.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
He had a bad start but Clayton Kershaw is a horse, 281 strikeouts, he wont get it but imo he is the best pitcher in baseball.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Is Kershaw the best pitcher in baseball? I have to say yes.
Did Arrieta have the best 2015 season? Yes. (Which is why I feel he deserves the 2015 Cy Young Award)

selah150pslm

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Huh? How can you be the MVP but not the best pitcher?

MVP is not always given to the hitter with the best stats. It's the use of the word 'valuable'. There should be absolutely no question that Arrieta is more valuable to the Cubs than Greinke is to the Dodgers, but if asked who has been better this year there is definitely an argument to be made for each.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
MVP is not always given to the hitter with the best stats. It's the use of the word 'valuable'. There should be absolutely no question that Arrieta is more valuable to the Cubs than Greinke is to the Dodgers, but if asked who has been better this year there is definitely an argument to be made for each.

There is an unwritten implication (right or wrong) that the CY Young is basically the MVP for pitchers. It's why you see so few pitchers win the award. I absolutely agree that Arietta is more valuable to his team than Harper is to the Nats given the current postseason picture. However, it's just hard for a pitcher win the MVP unless they are considerably better than The rest of the field. We don't have that this year, Just how it is.

selah150pslm

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
There is an unwritten implication (right or wrong) that the CY Young is basically the MVP for pitchers. It's why you see so few pitchers win the award. I absolutely agree that Arietta is more valuable to his team than Harper is to the Nats given the current postseason picture. However, it's just hard for a pitcher win the MVP unless they are considerably better than The rest of the field. We don't have that this year, Just how it is.

Honestly, I don't think pitchers should win the MVP award, but if them winning the award is possible and supported by others than I think Arrieta should be a consideration this year.

I wish there was a position player of the year award that could equal the Cy Young and that way the MVP could be a different award that would go to one of them or someone else that may be more deserving. In the last thread about this people mentioned the Hank Aaron award which doesn't have the same standing as the Cy Young, but that award isn't voted on by the BBWAA which only gives the MVP, Cy Young, Rookie, and Manager awards. Looking at that list it becomes clear that MVP should be a position award.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I had Grienke winning the Cy Young until Arrieta threw that materpiece against the Pirates a couple of days ago. Now I'm going with Arrieta. Now all the Cubs have to to do is save Jake for the 1 game playoff against the Pirates.

Latest posts