Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Found my box of 2004 Upper Deck BreaKeys - let's help some player collectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
breakeys.jpg

Well, moving so had to go through boxes. Found my stash of rare 2004 Upper Deck BreaKeys. These were a test issue for a collectible game that was a huge flop. The keys fit together at the barrels and you twisted them in a "battle." One would break a tab off, and the one that didn't break was the winner. Some colors were rarer than others (superstars were rare) but I don't have the odds anymore. There's a scratchoff code on back too for some online component to the game, all of mine are unscratched. These were fully licensed by MLB and the Player's Association for Upper Deck. Keys are slightly larger than a quarter, and kinda look like keychains. I know some player collectors are looking for these. So here's a list of what I have, in order of rarest to most common I believe.

Derek Jeter - Orange (sold to FCB member)
Pedro Martinez - Orange
Pedro Martinez - Purple
Albert Pujols - Purple (sold to FCB member)
Eric Gagne - Purple (sold to FCB member)
Dontrelle Willis - White
Hideki Matsui - White
Alex Rodriguez - Black
Pedro Martinez - Black
Ichiro - Black
Torii Hunter - Black
Mark Prior - Black
AJ Burnett - Red
Brett Boone - Red
Lance Berkman - Red
Jason Kendall - Red
Jason Giambi - Blue
Chipper Jones - Blue
Lance Berkman - Blue
Brett Boone - Blue
Rickie Weeks - Blue x2
Jason Kendall - Yellow x2
CC Sabathia - Yellow
Barry Zito - Yellow
Jay Gibbons - Yellow
Mike Sweeney - Green
Jay Gibbons - Green
Roy Halladay - Green
Jose Vidro - Green
Chipper Jones - Green
CC Sabathia - Green
Todd Helton - Green
Brett Boone - Green

If you're interested in any, shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
What would you need for Gagne? looks like he is the only Dodger you have (or was he in Milwaukee by then?)

Oh wait, maybe I can just open my eyes - I see the Gagne right on top and he is a Dodger!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Hard to read, but that center Ichiro looks like Secret Rare, plus there are Ultra Rare and Super Rare. Way to keep it simple!! More than half of the set is uncommon or harder to find. No wonder it fizzled.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
i also got 10-15 packs of these from the old treat vantage variety boxes (they had 3 sizes : 8 packs for 6.99 , 10 packs for 9.99 , and 20 packs for 19.99 with multiple bonus items including tons of sweet autos , mini boxed sets , and great oddball items) that you could find at toys-r-us and k-mart..the last few i saw were on amazon 3-4 years after the retail outlets ran out.....i had all mine together for years , but thanks to a few of my many cats knocking things over lately they've gotten separated.....as i recall , i had 1-2 ultra and super rares which i'm hopeful of finding as i prepare to move before the end of december....the one i happen to have on my desk at the moment is the derek jeter uncommon orange....i'm not 100% certain , but i seem to recall the orange being listed as one of the scarcer colors.....just curious , which version and color of the jeter did you sell and how much did you get for it if you don't mind my asking ?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
i also got 10-15 packs of these from the old treat vantage variety boxes (they had 3 sizes : 8 packs for 6.99 , 10 packs for 9.99 , and 20 packs for 19.99 with multiple bonus items including tons of sweet autos , mini boxed sets , and great oddball items) that you could find at toys-r-us and k-mart..the last few i saw were on amazon 3-4 years after the retail outlets ran out.....i had all mine together for years , but thanks to a few of my many cats knocking things over lately they've gotten separated.....as i recall , i had 1-2 ultra and super rares which i'm hopeful of finding as i prepare to move before the end of december....the one i happen to have on my desk at the moment is the derek jeter uncommon orange....i'm not 100% certain , but i seem to recall the orange being listed as one of the scarcer colors.....just curious , which version and color of the jeter did you sell and how much did you get for it if you don't mind my asking ?

I sold the Orange Jeter to an FCB member whose Jeter PC I admire, so I didn't hold him hostage on price - I think I let him name the price. Anyway, it was more about getting it into his collection than the money.

The list in first post is still available if anyone needs any.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I think so, but I really don't know. I have a white and purple Thomas thus far, whites and oranges seem a little more rare. The super and ultra rares (like the Sosa) seem to come in many colors, but they all have glitter in the plastic.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I got one from the Grace collector a while back but if memory serves, it is purple. I'll have to dig it out. Reason I ask is they say Bagwell, on the checklist, is one of the rare ones but I wasn't thinking purple was "rare".

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
each PHOTO (as you can see from the checklist , some players have both an action shot and a head shot) is either a common , an uncommon , a super rare , an ultra rare , or a mystery rare.......from there , each different key comes in all of the different colors (orange , purple , white , red , black , yellow , blue , and green).....the multiple levels of scarcity in both photo and color should lead to some VERY rare combinations....

if anyone still has any of these they are looking to get rid of , please shoot me a PM , as i may be interested ....

fwiw - the bagwell action shot is an uncommon while the bagwell head shot is a super rare....the purple is among the more scarce (along with orange , and white) colors.....both are nice , but depending on whether you have the action or head shot , you may have a really sweet one there

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts