Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Newest Hall of Fame Candidates Announced- Golden Era Candidates- No one elected!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
For the 10 full seasons that Minoso played he was one of the best players in the game.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
whether it's this year or 3 years from now , i really think quite a few of those guys do deserve to be in the hall...forget about the "magic numbers" of yesteryear (300 wins , 500 homers , 3000 hits)...the game has changed (more than once) and with those changes , they standards should also be reconsidered (think about - how many more 300-game winners are we likely to see ? none...does that mean we should never have a HOF SP again ?)....

of the guys on the ballot this time around , i could more than accept jim kaat , dick allen , tony oliva , gil hodges , maury wills , and luis tiant (don't know enough about boyer and pierce , but the brief bios definitely make a case for both of them)....

not on the ballot , but likely consider part of the same era , i would love to see a little more love for vada pinson ....a couple others whose careers bridged the "golden era " and "expansion era" (based on the names up this year i think they may also be considered as "golden era") that i would also love to see get consideration include tommy john , jerry koosman , and rusty staub.....

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
...today's the day.

"The 16-person committee will meet on Sunday, then vote Monday only hours before the 11 a.m. PT announcement." 2pm EST........

I really have no sense as to who, if anyone, will get the 12 votes.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
...today's the day.

"The 16-person committee will meet on Sunday, then vote Monday only hours before the 11 a.m. PT announcement." 2pm EST........

I really have no sense as to who, if anyone, will get the 12 votes.

Would not bother me to see any or all of them voted in. I think now that better data is used in determining value, some of these players are being seen in a better light.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I don't see any of them getting in. Kaat & Hodges would have gotten in by now IMO. I'd love to see them both get in, but I just don't think it will happen.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Pretty crazy to miss by one vote!

.......Gil Hodges was screwed by my man Ted in 1993-

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/11/25/gil-hodges-hall-fame-brooklyn-dodgers

Hodges had enough votes to be elected by the Veterans Committee in 1993 (12 out of 16), only to have committee chair Ted Williams disallow the vote of Roy Campanella, one of Hodges' former teammates, because he did not attend the meeting in person. Campanella was hospitalized at the time. With that ballot rejected, Hodges and Leon Day were left one vote short of enshrinement, with 11 of the 15 votes leaving them at 73.3 percent, 1.7 percent shy. Campanella died three months later. Day was elected when the new committee met two years later.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I was really hoping to see Tony Oliva get in. I'm a huge fan of his and I never got to see him play, but the couple of interactions I've had with him and just looking at his stats I think he deserves it

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't like these elections held decades after the player retired, unless it's for an overlooked ***** Leaguer.

Why are players like Dick Allen, Tony Oliva, Jim Kaat and Gil Hodges still candidates, when they weren't worthy during 15 years on the HOF ballot, and another 20-40 years on Veteran's Committee ballots?

For instance, today Dick Allen came only one vote short of being elected, yet he never received more than 19% of the vote on any HOF ballot.
Now he's suddenly worthy by 69% of voters today?

Last edited:

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I don't like these elections held decades after the player retired, unless it's for an overlooked ***** Leaguer.

Why are players like Dick Allen, Tony Oliva, Jim Kaat and Gil Hodges still candidates, when they weren't worthy during 15 years on the HOF ballot, and another 20-40 years on Veteran's Committee ballots?

For instance, today Dick Allen came only one vote short of being elected, yet he never received more than 19% of the vote on any HOF ballot.

How we value a player is changing. Would it surprise you to learn that Allen is one of the best run creators from his position in MLB history, with the likes of Mize and Greenberg?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How we value a player is changing. Would it surprise you to learn that Allen is one of the best run creators from his position in MLB history, with the likes of Mize and Greenberg?
Eh, not really, since you're comparing first basemen, which Allen only played 807 games (of his total of 1722 games)

And he ranks 150th all-time in career runs created, behind guys like Brian Downing, Moises Alou and Brian Giles, so that stat doesn't hold much Hall of Fame value to me.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/RC_career.shtml

Last edited:

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Eh, not really, since you're comparing first basemen, which Allen only played 807 games (of his total of 1722 games)

And he ranks 150th all-time in career runs created, behind guys like Brian Downing, Moises Alou and Brian Giles, so that stat doesn't hold much Hall of Fame value to me.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/RC_career.shtml

Eh, you are going by total runs created which Allen did not have the same longevity as the others. I was going by wRC+ and Allen is among the best at 1st and the best at 3rd, if you want to go with that position. Longevity in his career certainly hurt his chances to enter the HOF from the conventional voting but he should be in, in retrospect. When you take under consideration that there have been thousands of baseball players in history, Allen stacks up well being inside what most consider HOF numbers. Of all the listed players, he is at the top of my list but I also said it would not bother me if any or all of them make it in.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.

Exactly. If you can't get in on the original 15 years you don't belong in the HOF. Richie Allen was one of my favorite Phillies players back in the 60's. He was a really good player but not good enough to be in the HOF. I'm glad they didn't vote anyone in. Can't wait for the regular HOF voting in about 4 weeks. 2 or 3 well deserving players should go in then.

Members online