Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1997 Fleer #649 Edgar Ramos - What the hell is up with this card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I'm uploading a 1997 Fleer set on Sportlots tonight, and I notice that there are exactly zero copies of this card available (almost every other card in the set averages 30-50 copies). Very weird, I think, so I look on ebay. Again, zero available, and zero completed auctions. None on COMC, Beckett or JustCommons either. I did find an old link to a long-dead forum asking about this card, but the site was taken over by some malware-ish thing. Does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on here? Did I stumble upon some impossibly rare obscurity that's gonna sell for 500x what it should?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
That question pops up on baseball card message boards every few years.
Rumors are that he or his mother buys every '97 Fleer Ramos card that pops up on eBay, Sportlots, Burbank, Beckett, etc. because it's his only card.

None of the annual guides like the Beckett Almanac lists it as anything other than a common rookie card.
So it's definitely super rare because it's being hoarded by someone, but the demand otherwise is zero, other than by set or team collectors, so the value never rose.

But a Google search shows that card went unsold for one cent on eBay last year, so who knows what's really true.
One of the baseball card hobby's mysteries.

The best bet would be to buy the card as part of a '97 Fleer team set for a couple of bucks instead of waiting forever to buy the single card.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
That question pops up on baseball card message boards every few years.
Rumors are that he or his mother buys every '97 Fleer Ramos card that pops up on eBay, Sportlots, Burbank, Beckett, etc. because it's his only card.

None of the annual guides like the Beckett Almanac lists it as anything other than a common rookie card.
So it's definitely super rare because it's being hoarded by someone, but the demand otherwise is zero, other than by set or team collectors, so the value never rose.

But a Google search shows that card went unsold for one cent on eBay last year, so who knows what's really true.
One of the baseball card hobby's mysteries.

The best bet would be to buy the card as part of a '97 Fleer team set for a couple of bucks instead of waiting forever to buy the single card.

I guess I'll know for sure when I list it on ebay. If it sells to someone named Ramos, the rumors are true!

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I guess I'll know for sure when I list it on ebay. If it sells to someone named Ramos, the rumors are true!
Hahaha that's crazy. I often wonder about that. I wonder if a friend or family member might be a player collector, heck, maybe even the player himself. I've seen players ask for cards at games, a friend of mine gave a Rockies minor league guy a really nice bowman chrome xfractor instead of getting it signed. My mom use to tell me she'd collect all my cards when (lol) I made it to the majors. :D

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
Hahaha that's crazy. I often wonder about that. I wonder if a friend or family member might be a player collector, heck, maybe even the player himself. I've seen players ask for cards at games, a friend of mine gave a Rockies minor league guy a really nice bowman chrome xfractor instead of getting it signed. My mom use to tell me she'd collect all my cards when (lol) I made it to the majors. :D

i've sold quite a few 2007 bowman chrome prospects cards to either the players pictured or one of their relatives.....woods fines , andrew fie , and dan brauer all bought their own cards.....tony butler's mother bought several batches of his cards from me....she also had him sign a couple chrome and a minor league team issue card for me and she even sent me a christmas card .....sadly two of those guys (fines and butler) had their careers derailed by injuries and the other two just never quite panned out but i still think it's neat to have dealt with them.....the biggest name involved was andrew bailey...one of his aunts bought hundreds from me over the years....i know she does try to sell off a few , but she told me several of his family members stockpiled them to give away.....

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I've often wondered how many of a common card someone would have to hoard in order to have an effect on the supply/demand balance. For example how many 1988 Donruss Roberto Alomar RR? You'd probably need to hoard hundred's of thousands of them. 1997 Fleer presumably had a lower print run.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I've often wondered how many of a common card someone would have to hoard in order to have an effect on the supply/demand balance. For example how many 1988 Donruss Roberto Alomar RR? You'd probably need to hoard hundred's of thousands of them. 1997 Fleer presumably had a lower print run.

I think it would be hilarious if someone who was mega rich started hoarding something like 1989 topps or something. To the point where they were just buying boxes and sets and whatnot and just keeping them or destroying them. What did we decide? There were at least 3 million of each card produced or something like that? Junk wax sets sell for between $5-$10 bucks depending where you buy. Some people might even be willing to sell en masse at a steep discount just to clear their warehouse out a little(know a few guys who own shops who would do so). It would be weird to see. Only problem is...would demand creep up, much like the op's card, for things this old where just about everyone who wants one already has one?

mrniceguy1126

Oct 6, 2008
NEPA
As a child of the late 80s- early 90s, wasn't this an episode of the Nick show Doug where the bullies tried to do the exact same thing? Someone else has to remember this, right? :p

mrniceguy1126

Oct 6, 2008
NEPA
Maybe it wasn't Doug? But what show was it? I distinctly remember an episode of some show I used to watch being about this very subject. At the end they stopped the bad guys from putting all the cards in a washing machine. It's going to drive me nuts trying to remember what it was now!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
As a child of the late 80s- early 90s, wasn't this an episode of the Nick show Doug where the bullies tried to do the exact same thing? Someone else has to remember this, right? :p

I remember this happening, but I know it wasn't Doug (I never watched that show). I'm fairly certain it was one the Disney shows from that era, like Goof Troop or DuckTales.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Sounds like a Scrooge McDuck thing.

There was an Uncle Scrooge comic from the 50's where he hoards every 1916 U.S. quarter, then dumps them all in the ocean except for one so that he will have the rarest and most valuable coin in the world. I think they used certain aspects of this story (finding Atlantis because they were looking for Scrooge's dumped money) in a Ducktales episode but I'm not sure if they ever had the hoarding part in there.

Members online

Latest posts