Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Wow , great addition for that price. Keep plugging away. Since Clark wasn't in it, I have to root for you guys ;)

Ryan

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
I am curious about this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-TOPPS-TEK-PATTERN-61-DIFFRACTION-14-DEREK-JETER-YANKEES-POP-1-PSA-9-MINT-/361511309366?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

The title says diffraction. I know I am waayyyyy late to the game, but are there 3 types of cards? Cause this does not look like a diffractor to me. Seems way confusing to me.

You know how Stadium Club has Luminous, Luminescent, and Illuminator? Well, Tek had Diffractor, Diffraction, and Omnidiffract!

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
That guy/gal does that repeatedly. It is 100% not a diffractor.. just a sneaky way to call it by similar name (diffraction) to get someone to buy a card that is listed at 40-60x the Hi Beckett listed prices for a base 1998 TEK card .......... Some even get PSA to list cards as Diffractors and use that in their listings when they ARE NOT.. totally dishonest to me

The sellers know what the cards are.. Just be careful as their are alot of dishonest ebay sellers willing to take your money

Some ebay sellers even block you from contacting them or try to direct you to an email address knowing their listing are bogus

There are two kinds of 1998 Topps TEK cards... base set cards of 90 players and diffractors .. There were also a handful of some PROMO Pre-Production 98 TEKs of Clemens, McGwire, Mondesi and ?

I am curious about this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-TOPPS-...T-/361511309366?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

The title says diffraction. I know I am waayyyyy late to the game, but are there 3 types of cards? Cause this does not look like a diffractor to me. Seems way confusing to me.

Last edited:

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
That guy/gal does that repeatedly. It is 100% not a diffractor.. just a sneaky way to call it by similar name (diffraction) to get someone to buy a card that is listed at 40-60x the Hi Beckett listed prices for a base 1998 TEK card .......... Some even get PSA to list cards as Diffractors and use that in their listings when they ARE NOT.. totally dishonest to me

The sellers know what the cards are.. Just be careful as their are alot of dishonest ebay sellers willing to take your money

Some ebay sellers even block you from contacting them or try to direct you to an email address knowing their listing are bogus

There are two kinds of 1998 Topps TEK cards... base set cards of 90 players and diffractors .. There were also a handful of some PROMO Pre-Production 98 TEKs of Clemens, McGwire, Mondesi and ?

cool. thanks for the info. I thought it looked off and it didnt have the diffractor pattern. so I was assuming it was bs

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I have a Frank Thomas SuperDiffractor. Numbered to /9. How does nobody know about these?

/9, the one I pulled from my box back when they came out in 98' of Travis Lee was /16. Yours wasn't the SuperDuperDiffractor was it? Those are hard to find. I haven't seen one on eBay in years.

Ryan

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yea, I own two of the SuperDiffractors and I know I'm one of the luckiest Belle collectors. Surprised some don't even know what they are, just that rare I guess.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
/9, the one I pulled from my box back when they came out in 98' of Travis Lee was /16. Yours wasn't the SuperDuperDiffractor was it? Those are hard to find. I haven't seen one on eBay in years.

Ryan

I had a chance for the SuperDuper but lost to a set collector I think. Epic snipe battle but I'm just not paying up to those crazy prices!!!! Saved a picture though, I guess I have to move on :(

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
I have a Frank Thomas SuperDiffractor. Numbered to /9. How does nobody know about these?

now wait a minute....i've been working on the set of them since i first cracked a hot box that had at least one in every pack ....currently i'm up to a little over 300 in my 8010 card set ....i also have one complete pattern 1 set and 1 complete same card number/pattern number set with set # 2 for each of these at just over 50% done.....of course i'm also on the lookout for condition upgrades for a few of them....can't pay those crazy high artificially inflated ebay prices , but i am willing to pay $2.50 each dlvd if anyone has a few extras just sitting around gathering dust

BUT , hat said , now you have me curious....you say yours is numbered to /9 and i see someone else pulled one numbered /16.....all of mine were numbered 1/1 or 01/01....have i completely overlooked yet another parallel version ? man i am sooooo out of touch with these things now....

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
[MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION] can you post a pic of any of the 1998 Topps Tek SuperDiffractors /16 or SuperDuperDiffractors of any of the players I have seen in your collection ?

Ryan

Members online