Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New to BGS: A couple questions I am hoping someone could help me with.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcgoo2

May 30, 2013
I'm not one to buy a card for the purpose of flipping (in fact, I never have) but last night I found a good deal on a card I've had a mild interest in buying. It's graded a BGS 9 with sub grades of 10 centering, 9.5 surface, 9.5 corners, and 8 edges on the old BGS label. I don't have the card in hand yet so I'm not certain I could get a bump but the possibility seems to be there given the scan and old label. My question is, does BGS still grade the same way where this would be an overall 9 or would this be considered an 8.5 nowadays?

Also, Do you think it'd be worth it to regrade in hopes of getting rid of the ugly 8? Do people care about the difference between subs when the overall grade is the same?

Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

mcgoo2

May 30, 2013

That's what I was afraid of. I thought I read somewhere that the 8 has to be on the surface grade to get an overall 9 so I was surprised to see an 8 edges got an overall 9. I enjoy the gamble and picked it up for relatively cheap so I might still resend it but now I know to temper my expectations a bit. Thanks for the help!

Here's the card in question if anyone is curious:

$T2eC16h,!zQE9s3suFRUBRroFuCHhQ~~60_57.JPG

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
I was under the impression that with those sub grades it would still be a 9. Subs of 10,9.5,9.5,8 = 9. Because 3 subs are Gem mint or better, the grade can go up an entire point from the lowest sub. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I do know for a fact if the subs were 10,10,10,8 then it would definitely be a 9.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
I was under the impression that with those sub grades it would still be a 9. Subs of 10,9.5,9.5,8 = 9. Because 3 subs are Gem mint or better, the grade can go up an entire point from the lowest sub. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I do know for a fact if the subs were 10,10,10,8 then it would definitely be a 9.

I was under the impression that the toal could not be more than .5 over the lowest sub now. Is that not correct?

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
I'd be more concerned your auto grade would drop to 9.. Sigs on this card don't hold up well..

mcgoo2

May 30, 2013
I'd be more concerned your auto grade would drop to 9.. Sigs on this card don't hold up well..

This is also a concern. The card was graded 10 years ago so I assume it has faded a bit since then. I think it compares favorably to a lot of the other examples on ebay, though. Here's a close up of the auto:

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
I was under the impression that the toal could not be more than .5 over the lowest sub now. Is that not correct?

Typically this is correct but if three of the subs are strong enough, the final grade can go up an entire point. This info is actually on BGS website.

mcgoo2

May 30, 2013
Typically this is correct but if three of the subs are strong enough, the final grade can go up an entire point. This info is actually on BGS website.

The website isn't entirely clear on what subs are "strong enough" and after looking at the pop report, I think it's at the discretion of the grader. There's a 2001 Finest graded later (2006) with a 10, 2 9.5s, and an 8 on the corners that was given an 8.5 overall. There was one graded the same year with 10, 9.5, 9 and an 8 on the surface that ended up with a 9 overall.

Members online

Latest posts