Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Totally blown away with this HOF piece I picked up!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
With over 1,000 HOF autos and several amazing multi-signed pieces in my collection, it takes a lot to get me impressed.

Well it happened today. I went and personally picked up my most recent auction pickup. I was so excited to see it because there was a major autograph on the piece that I saw and neither the item description nor the JSA Certificate mention this player. Would love to hear what everyone thinks about them.

First off, here are the pics...

These are two Hall of Fame Programs from the 1983 Induction. Someone must have spent some serious time acquiring all of these autos. They all totally missed the Roy Campanella auto in the middle of the second program.

Here is a list of the signers:

1JoeCronin1TomSeaver
2BillDickey2LouBoudreau
3AlLopez3RedSchoendienst
4WillieMays4LuisAparicio
5BillyHerman5BillyWilliams
6BobFeller6LouBrock
7LukeAppling7GeorgeKell
8MonteIrvin8AlKaline
9EnosSlaughter9AlBarlick
10JoeDiMaggio10PhilNiekro
11WillieStargell11RickFerrell
12ErnieBanks12JohnnyBench
13HarmonKillebrew13A.B.Chandler
14RobinRoberts14RodCarew
15WarrenSpahn15JimPalmer
16JamesBell16HalNewhouser
17EddieMathews17FergieJenkins
18JohnnyMize18RayDandridge
19WhiteyFord19Pee WeeReese
20BrooksRobinson20RoyCampanella
21ReggieJackson21CarlYastrzemski
22MickeyMantle22EarlyWynn
23FrankRobinson23DonSutton
24HankAaron24GaylordPerry
25DonDrysdale25SteveCarlton
26StanMusial26JoeMorgan
27YogiBerra27TonyPerez
28WillieMcCovey28JimHunter
29TedWilliams29BobGibson
30BillTerry30CharlieGehringer
31RalphKiner31BobDoerr
32PeteRose32LeoDurocher
33BuckLeonard33BobLemon
34JoeSewell34RollieFingers
35JuanMarichal35HoytWilhelm
36DukeSnider
37SandyKoufax

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Incredible pieces with tremendous eye appeal. Back in 1983, it was a 100% guarantee Rose would be a Hall of Famer. Doh!

But you have to wonder why JSA failed to authenticate the large bold Campanella signature. An oversight seems extremely unlikely. But if is an autopen, why would Campy have used one at a Cooperstown signing? Very strange.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Incredible pieces with tremendous eye appeal. Back in 1983, it was a 100% guarantee Rose would be a Hall of Famer. Doh!

But you have to wonder why JSA failed to authenticate the large bold Campanella signature. An oversight seems extremely unlikely. But if is an autopen, why would Campy have used one at a Cooperstown signing? Very strange.

If it makes you feel better they also missed Jim Hunter on the same program and listed Enos Slaughter twice from the first program. They (JSA or PSA/DNA) are far from perfect. They "miss" stuff all the time.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Really???

It certainly was not autopenned but.........

Being a long time collector I do remember when Mr. Campenella did sign some autographs and he used a special device to help control his arm and hand. There was a small group that felt that the use of this device resulted in nothing more than a autopen-like signature and were not willing to pay for something that was not a "true" signnature. What intrigued me about this arguement and the reason I remember it so well was because my sister was also paralyzed from a diving accident and was in the same condition as Mr. Capenella but yet, she could sign her own name, even though it was very shaky, but it was readable. I often wondered why he needed a device to help write his name when my sister could do it even though it was difficult for her. I now know that all quadraplegics are different and what is easy for one might not be for the other.

I dont know if this is the reason why the Campy was mentioned on your piece or if it was an oversight but I do remember the small uproar back in the day when it was discovered that the Campy signatures where mechanically assisted.

Nice pickup by the way!!

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Great piece Mike!! Congrats!!

Here's a link to the 1982 induction on the HOF site- http://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/past-inductions/1980-1989

Hank, F Robby, Happy Chandler and Travis Jackson are the 1982 inductees pictured on the 1983 HOF program.

A lot of the names were inducted well past 1983, so certainly the pieces were collected over many years. Niekro was not inducted until 1997, Sutton 1998, Perez 2000. There are a bunch of late 90's inductees not included- Rizzuto, Schmidt, Bunning, Weaver, Lasorda, Doby, McPhail, Brett, Cepeda, Ryan and Yount- who were/are alive in the period these autos were collected.

Anyway, great additions to an already outstanding collection!!

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
I am thinking of adding a few of those guys from that same period.

What do you guys think?? Leave it as is or add more???

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I am thinking of adding a few of those guys from that same period.

What do you guys think?? Leave it as is or add more???

Add , as it wasn't a piece made for only certain people. Maybe do as many 2000 and before inductions as you can, since Perez is on there already. Or maybe as many those who played/retired in the 90s or before?

Ryan

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts