Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Got a game used grail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Had a really cool mailday today, and I wanted to share it. I have a bunch of game used bats and jerseys of Jonny Gomes, but I've always wanted two items in particular: a game used home run baseball, and a game used hit by pitch baseball. The first one speaks for itself a bit, since Gomes tends towards the home run.

I've always wanted a HBP ball, though, since I feel they represent Gomes's style of play: all out, not afraid to take a ball to the body to get on base. Gomes has consistently been near the top of the yearly HBP ranks, despite getting half the plate appearances of many of those above him.

This one is the 75th HBP of his career, which makes it even more special to me. He's now up to 77 (against 154 HRs), and may or may not get to 100.

$_57.JPG

Pic stolen from eBay, sorry it's so massive.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Very cool!!!

I own a Jeter HR ball that he hit vs the Indians in Cleveland on September 19, 1999. It was his 64th career HR and I've told this story a lot on the site but I wish it was authenticated like this one. Not sure how you go about doing that this many years later. Probably impossible but I do have the ball, ticket stub and even the film from the game because MLB sent it to me on DVD. I guess I should ask my Mom or Dad if they have a picture of me at the game with it or anything. Who knows... back before iPhone's LOL!

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Or from someone that bought it at the game used store at the ballpark. I believe every ballpark now sells game used items, sometimes with items used that very day.

You are correct, some do same day items (ex. Twins and Cubs) while others dont (ex. Brewers)

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
This was new to me when I was at the Padres-Mariners game on Monday. They were selling gu bats and even full uniforms from the throw-back game against the Astros (had some full 80s-type multi-colored Astros uniforms for 300 each).

They also had tons of gu balls, all of which had very detailed information on them. The balls used only as pitches were 30, those fouled off or used to make outs were 40, and those that were base hits were 50. I heard the attendant tell someone to come back after the 7th inning and they would have some balls from that day. Very interesting stuff.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
I'm late to rejoin the party (computer just bit it, so limited time online), but thanks for all the comments! This piece has been a long time coming, and I'm really happy to finally get one. Many (probably most) HBP balls aren't marked, and either make their way back into play or into batting practice. Gomes has had two walk-off HBPs in his career, and in at least one case, the ball was just left on the field and swept up after.

[MENTION=3754]MansGame[/MENTION], that's pretty cool. Can you see yourself on the video? MLB's authenticators only tag balls that never leave their eyesight (so even home run balls that are thrown back don't get tagged, since it could be a decoy ball). It can be very restrictive and frustrating at times, but it does mean that you can almost completely trust that an MLB authenticated item is what it's represented as.

[MENTION=1752]Big Mac McGwire[/MENTION], good idea, I just watched the PA via MLB TV. There isn't a good shot of the ball; you can make out that there's a logo on it (the Orioles 60th anniversary logo), but that's about it. It is cool to watch, though; true to fashion, Gomes barely moves to get out of the way, and then is entirely businesslike in removing his elbow pad (where he got hit) and jogging to first base.

[MENTION=8332]BiggioBrooks755[/MENTION], I got it on eBay, though I didn't think to ask where the seller bought it; just shot him a note asking. The auction title was "Baltimore Orioles 60th Anniversary Game Used Baseball WITH Hologram," and only in the description did it say it was a Gomes HBP (and it didn't mention it being his 75th).

[MENTION=2477]Gwynn545[/MENTION], I gotta admit, I wouldn't know what to do with that thing. On the other hand, how about a 1963 Lincoln convertible once owned by Jonny Gomes? Or if that's too much (on eBay for 50k a couple years back), there's always his Escalade pickup.

Members online