Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Swihart compared to Posey; #1 C PP 2015; new article

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bo...most-difficult-red-sox-prospect-to-part-with/

“I’m the guy who keeps writing the line, and I always qualify this by saying I’m not saying Blake Swihart will be this, but Blake Swihart has the closest thing to Buster Posey‘s tools since Buster Posey,” Callis said...

2014 Stats @ AA Eastern League:

54% of would-be basestealers have been thrown out.

.307 average
.360 OBP
.500 SLG
.860 OPS

88 G
333 AB
47 R
102 H
22 2B
3 3B
12 HR
54 RBI
28 BB
61 K
7 SB; 1 CS

Apparently he's just continues to improve in every aspect of his game and has strong potential to be an impact-type, special player in Boston. I hope so!

Last edited:

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Schwarber >>>>> Swihart

Schwarber has a once in a while bat. Swihart is solid but nothing special. His defense is where his value is but on the ML level he doesn't project to be a huge hitter which is what Schwarber is.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Schwarber >>>>> Swihart

Schwarber has a once in a while bat. Swihart is solid but nothing special. His defense is where his value is but on the ML level he doesn't project to be a huge hitter which is what Schwarber is.

Nothing special?

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
Schwarber >>>>> Swihart

I know that you have this thing in your brain that compels you to come into any thread discussing Red Sox players and deride them, but Swihart profiles to be an elite player. A switch-hitting catcher that can hit for both power and average and plays terrific defense. He is not "solid, but nothing special". If he matches his potential, he will be an All Star player. Schwarber on the other hand has a special bat, but will likely not stick at catcher.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
I know that you have this thing in your brain that compels you to come into any thread discussing Red Sox players and deride them, but Swihart profiles to be an elite player. A switch-hitting catcher that can hit for both power and average and plays terrific defense. He is not "solid, but nothing special". If he matches his potential, he will be an All Star player. Schwarber on the other hand has a special bat, but will likely not stick at catcher.

Lol nice try bud! I like quite a few of the Sox players. I think Bogaerts will be A++++++ and an all star many times over. I think Bradley will turn it around albeit maybe not with the sox. I really like Owens. I do like Sox players.

Schwarber has a huge bat and even if he doesn't stick at catcher he will still be the better player IMO. Swihart will be good but not great IMO.

I didn't know everyone had to have the same prospecting opinions SMDH

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Schwarber won't be catching at the MLB level. He can't throw. He can't run, either. If he manages to have a "big bat" beyond A ball, the Cubs are going to have to figure out where to stick him on defense, and the options look slim to none.

Catcher is the premium position, and any catcher who can project to be an above average hitter with some power, and play plus defense, is, well, "something special."

Swihart > Schwarber.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Schwarber >>>>> Swihart

Except schwarber won't be a catcher.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Just for fun, can we call him Schwihart when we talk about Schwarber in the same sentence with him?

Schwihart > Schwarber :D

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
So? Schwarber as a player >>>> Swihart as a player IMO.

Apparently nobody can have certain opinions about prospects.

Not saying you can't have an opinion, I don't really care what you think. I'd guess, you don't lose sleep over what I think.

I will say, a good hitting catcher, with very good defensive skills, can be worth a more than a very good bat at OF/DH.

Only time will tell. I'm not a sox or cubs fans, so I don't have a dog in the fight. I hope they both end up great.

Molina isn't as good of an offensive player as many OF/DH types, but most teams would trade their of/dh guy hitting 280 25 90 for Molina in a heartbeat.
Catchers that can do it all, are pretty rare. Of course now, he has to go do it at another level.

IF Swihart can be just good at each OFF/DEF, he will be very valuable. Most seem to think he will be good at one and very good at the other.
You think he will be, "Swihart is solid but nothing special".

We will find out who is right in a year or 2. Sh%&T, as an Angels fan, I'd take a catcher that can do either at all.

Last edited:

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I hope he makes the move to 1B, because Vazquez is a stud behind the plate. I finds it hard to believe Swihart will ever be as good defensively. With that said I think his bat will be the real deal so he can easily take over for Napoli when he is a FA at the end of the season.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I hope he makes the move to 1B, because Vazquez is a stud behind the plate. I finds it hard to believe Swihart will ever be as good defensively. With that said I think his bat will be the real deal so he can easily take over for Napoli when he is a FA at the end of the season.

I think his defense has come a long way. Clearly Vazquez's defense is better today but over the next or two a lot of things can change. Choosing between these two guys is a luxury most teams cannot imagine right now.

I saw an article that said the Sox may give Craig time at third ( http://nesn.com/2015/01/allen-craig-could-play-some-third-base-with-red-sox-john-farrell-says/ ). Makes me wonder who really will at first after this season after Nap goes FA.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Swihart didn't commit a single passed ball this year, and threw out 46% of baserunners.

He belongs behind the dish.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I used to have respect for Callis. Swihart may be decent but let's not get crazy calling him the next Posey.

He didnt call him buster Posey, he said he has the best set of tools he's seen since buster posey. There is a big difference in that distinction. Even if you dont think he reaches that level and falls short, he's still putting up well above average numbers for a catcher.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States

Even if he's never as good defensively, his hit tool for a catcher is elite. Moving him anywhere else will diminish that...

Members online