Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Red Sox favorites to sign Shane Victorino

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Are there any names you guys have heard being thrown around in a potential for Ellsbury? I imagine they'd only be trading him for a starting pitcher, or pitcher and SS combo deal. How about Ellsbury for Dylan Bundy, straight up? :D

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
The Red Sox may be the worst run franchise in professional sports. I'm really not sure if that statement was hyperbole or not.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Are there any names you guys have heard being thrown around in a potential for Ellsbury? I imagine they'd only be trading him for a starting pitcher, or pitcher and SS combo deal. How about Ellsbury for Dylan Bundy, straight up? :D

Intriguing. If Ellsbury could stay on the baseball field for 150 games every year, I would do it. I don't think the Orioles will even considerate it though.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Intriguing. If Ellsbury could stay on the baseball field for 150 games every year, I would do it. I don't think the Orioles will even considerate it though.

I think Seattle makes a better trade partner. Good pitching prospects and in need of hitting. Ellsbury is from the Northwest, so there is a chance he offers some sort of hometown discount.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Will NEVER happen! His injuries will prevent anything close to this happening. If its not 1 thing..its another.

Why b/c he had an off year his 1st year in Boston and was injured most of last year? Did you see his previous 6-7 years in Tampa Bay? I'm not saying he'll ever get those numbers again but I'm not saying he won't either. He's an unbelievable talent. He was easily paving his way to the HOF before he went to Boston and if he bounces back, he still could be one.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I think Seattle makes a better trade partner. Good pitching prospects and in need of hitting. Ellsbury is from the Northwest, so there is a chance he offers some sort of hometown discount.

Valid points. I forget he's an OSU alum sometimes. I really don't think Boston will get much in return though b/c of Ellsbury's health issues. I'm thinking a trade like the Mets did with the Giants a la Beltran/Wheeler - a one on one for an A- type prospect or....1 for 2 for 2 B type prospects.

Ellsbury for Taijuan Walker?

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Valid points. I forget he's an OSU alum sometimes. I really don't think Boston will get much in return though b/c of Ellsbury's health issues. I'm thinking a trade like the Mets did with the Giants a la Beltran/Wheeler - a one on one for an A- type prospect or....1 for 2 for 2 B type prospects.

Ellsbury for Taijuan Walker?

I would be happy with Walker or Hultzen and maybe a decent bullpen arm.

I don't think they get that due to the injuries and the fact that he only has one year left on his contract. People also seem to forget that Ellsbury is 29. I know I always think he's much younger than that.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Well, I seem to be the only one who likes this signing. He can play all OF positions, well above average....he can hit for average, good OBP, doubles/triples hitter with some pop, steal bases, and he has played 130+ games the past several years. He is the type of player we need in this lineup...the more speed the better!

So as of right now our lineup looks like this:

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Ortiz
Napoli
Middlebrooks
Victorino
Lavarnway/Ross
Gomes
Iglesias

Look about right?

Gonzalez was the only thing decent out of those players. Loney / Crawford?? Seriously?
I like the team they are trying to put together...they just need to get Brian Wilson and another starter 1st.
Too risky IMO (unless we can get him for a good price on a short term deal)...they do need 1 more starter though.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Well, I seem to be the only one who likes this signing. He can play all OF positions, well above average....he can hit for average, good OBP, doubles/triples hitter with some pop, steal bases, and he has played 130+ games the past several years. He is the type of player we need in this lineup...the more speed the better!

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Ortiz
Napoli
Middlebrooks
Victorino
Lavarnway/Ross
Gomes
Iglesias

Look about right?

I bet we trade Ells for a starter and resign Ross and move Victorino to CF.

In that case, the lineup would look something like this:

Victorino
Pedroia
Middlebrooks
Ortiz
Ross, C.
Napoli
Gomes
Ross, D./Salty/Lavarnway
Iglesias/?

Perhaps we can trade Ellsbury and steal Stanton from Miami for Barnes and Bogaerts? :) Ross would not be resigned, therefore. A healthy Cody Ross is a great add to the lineup, however. I'd take him over Gomes.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Ortiz
Napoli
Middlebrooks
Victorino
Lavarnway/Ross
Gomes
Iglesias

Look about right?

Too risky IMO (unless we can get him for a good price on a short term deal)...they do need 1 more starter though.

I think the reason you like the signing is because Victorino is not the player you think he is.

from keith law:

"Victorino is a platoon outfielder at this point, and paying him $13 million a year, even with the rapid salary escalation we're seeing this offseason, is mad as pants. His bat speed was noticeably slower in 2012, especially later in the season, and despite being a switch-hitter, he doesn't really hit right-handed pitching:
Against RHP
2012: .230/.295/.332
2011: .271/.333/.456
2010: .235/.306/.386
That's a .244/.311/.390 composite line over 1,388 plate appearances, and at age 32 he's extremely unlikely to suddenly learn how to hit from the left side. Victorino delivers the bulk of his value in the 150 or so plate appearances he gets against left-handed pitching each year and should be platooned against most right-handers, which means the Red Sox just paid $13 million a year for the equivalent of a fourth outfielder."

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Stanton is not for trade, nor would I want to give up both of our top prospects for him.

I don't think the Sox should trade Ellsbury right now, at least wait until AS break when his value is much higher (assuming he doesn't have another freak injury) or if we don't get any bites then wait to the end of the season to give him a qualifying offer and we get a draft pick. Win/win and we can still sign a SP this offseason. A season with both Ellsbury & Victorino in the lineup should score plenty of runs.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I think the reason you like the signing is because Victorino is not the player you think he is.

from keith law:

"Victorino is a platoon outfielder at this point, and paying him $13 million a year, even with the rapid salary escalation we're seeing this offseason, is mad as pants. His bat speed was noticeably slower in 2012, especially later in the season, and despite being a switch-hitter, he doesn't really hit right-handed pitching:
Against RHP
2012: .230/.295/.332
2011: .271/.333/.456
2010: .235/.306/.386
That's a .244/.311/.390 composite line over 1,388 plate appearances, and at age 32 he's extremely unlikely to suddenly learn how to hit from the left side. Victorino delivers the bulk of his value in the 150 or so plate appearances he gets against left-handed pitching each year and should be platooned against most right-handers, which means the Red Sox just paid $13 million a year for the equivalent of a fourth outfielder."

Uhm, well here are his career splits....which tell me that he is fine against RHP. I'm not too worried.

victorino.jpg

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Stanton is not for trade, nor would I want to give up both of our top prospects for him.

I don't think the Sox should trade Ellsbury right now, at least wait until AS break when his value is much higher (assuming he doesn't have another freak injury) or if we don't get any bites then wait to the end of the season to give him a qualifying offer and we get a draft pick. Win/win and we can still sign a SP this offseason. A season with both Ellsbury & Victorino in the lineup should score plenty of runs.

Yeah, I doubt Stanton would be available, but I bet Cherington has considered an offer or two, especially if he finds a good SP for Ellsbury. I doubt he'd trade Ells unless a can't-miss starter was offered, or a proven young vet-- we don't need anymore Lackey's around.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
What do you guys think of the Sox' chances of landing Brandon McCarthy? Would that be a wise pickup or should we try for someone else? If so, who?

MCCARTHYGOLDREFNS.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts