Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where Did Everyone Go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I also have to add that I battle depression on a daily basis and on bad days(which there are a lot of) I post nothing on any of the boards that I visit. It's good days like today that I become an active member again.

Feel free to post in the General Chat any of THOSE'S other Times, I'm sure someone will be happy to lend a ear ;)

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
FullSizeRender_4efc7994-6c8f-428c-8c13-f2b26f8d03e3_1024x1024.jpg
Okay! Best regards, David

Waulk11

Aug 20, 2010
Los Angeles CA
I joined the forum before the "updates." I would spent about 1-2 hrs per day. The last 3 years of my life have changed, I work 60hrs per week. Sometimes I pick up an additional 12+hrs. My wife and I have added 3 beautiful babies to our lifes. So my time is spend working, family, and sleeping. I check in about every other day. I still collect cards, but my love for cards is not the same as it was 3 yrs ago.

Dpanthers14

Aug 7, 2008
Colorado
Thanks guys for the reply, I definitely missed coming here when I got out of the hobby but I'm glad I made the choice to jump back in.

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Thanks guys for the reply, I definitely missed coming here when I got out of the hobby but I'm glad I made the choice to jump back in.

I haven't bought a card since 2012 and yet I still come here and read about the hobby and the game, because I truly love the game of baseball and this place is a wealth of baseball knowledge.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
for me baseball is off now and cards is slow. Nothing new out there so buying is far and few in between. I usually get spent this time of the year from all baseball and cards and need to cool down.

Dpanthers14

Aug 7, 2008
Colorado
I haven't bought a card since 2012 and yet I still come here and read about the hobby and the game, because I truly love the game of baseball and this place is a wealth of baseball knowledge.
Don't get me wrong I love baseball but when I cut ties with cards I also cut ties with this site.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I try to get on at least twice a week. Even if it's just to make a post or check out what's going on. I am not sure where everyone went. But for me, I've kind of gotten where the gold has lost it's shine a bit. I spent countless hours reading the 90's thread and any other thread where there is info regarding things most of the hobby doesn't know. That to me is what made this place one of a kind. But...it's like we've damn near just about discussed everything to death. I truly do look just to see if something new pops up to discuss. Mostly it's just about new products, most of which I'm not going to buy anyhow. I don't think you can really blame anyone for that. Tanner(mouschi) has by far the best threads on the board these days. But the days where you couldn't wait to pop in to see what was said or what the next discussion is about are pretty much gone. Just doesn't seem to be as much to talk about. If anyone does think of something, we all give it a try but it...usually ends up being...something we've already discussed at length.

This pretty sums up my feelings too. I feel like things just slowed down because the products coming out haven't been that interesting to me and all of the older stuff has been discussed in great detail. This is still the board I like posting to, and feel that I can get a helpful response from but from a baseball point of view I just haven't been picking up much stuff. Plus it's Christmas time everything gets slow around now.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Two things did it for me:

1) Razor. This has been hashed out many times. I still remember when they had a fake auto in their president series and the admin here jumped to Brian's defense. (And in fairness, he totally owned up to making a mistake and purchased a legit copy for the person that pulled the fake)

2) Mr. Gilmore. I'm actually a fan of the former owner but one incident sums up how he successfully ran off members. I belong to a group called The Team Collectors. As with most groups of this nature, we occasionally lose members. I reached out to Gilmore about recruiting here. He said that it would be fine, so I let the others know. But when I logged back in, he had conditions. We had to use FCB exclusively for all TC posting and take down our website.

I was not personally offended by this, but at least ten members of the TCs still refuse to come here because he wanted us to tear down six years of our history (at the time, it was six years). That is a lot of members to turn away permanently.

It is possible neither of these are the real reason, but they are why I have slowed down my participation here over the years.

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I'm not a big poster but this is what I have seen:
PRO:
1. I have meet (not in person) some great people on here who know their **** and are very helpful especially for someone just starting out.
2. I have never been to BO, but with the knowledgeable people on here - like Jaypers, Rum and Astro, I never had a reason to seek another site
3. I think this is one of the best sites for true hobby news, history and learning information as a collector.
But here are the problems.
1. Whenever I did post (maybe my topics sucked) but hardly anyone would comment back. To have communication and have a dialog you need more than one person talking.
2. The hobby sucked after it was just Topps. I know people might have hated Leaf, but I always loved their older stuff (2000-2005ish) and once the "serious" collectors stopped buying because of the logo thing Leaf prices dropped and there was not nearly any interest in their cards. So you only have 1 brand to choose and we all know that Topps "F's" up so many things that a collector would have easily noticed before even sending a card to production it is a joke!
3. No kids. We all know this, but it is an issue that I do not think will ever change. Cost is too high for products that are "nice" and why spend $70 bucks on a regular box that at best will give you $30 back with a "Good" Auto?
4. Other stuff is a bigger craze now. Just look at Comic cons! Every city has at least one now. Being a "Nerd" is now cool - for the record, I do not think ANYONE who likes something that does not hurt a person or thing, is a bad thing at all. I actually think that is cool to love something so much that you would dress up or collect everything you could afford or throw yourself into (this is why Top Chef is one of my fav shows) with all you have. Loving a hobby whatever that hobby is, is great and it does not make you a bad person or weird to me at all.
5. Many collectors are getting older. For those of you without kids, you have no idea how much free time you really have, just wait!
6. Go back to #2 - Just having Topps. I think this is the biggest reason for the fall of the hobby and by a huge margin.
Just my small take.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
I'll admit I should and will try to post more. The interactions and generosity of FCB members has helped my collection grow and become more defined. I'm going to be breaking some old school products in the next few weeks. Hopefully I'll get to contribute to that 90's thread and box breaks section.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Well what do ya know? My password actually worked this time so I could log onto this place!! I'm still alive and kicking! I just had a really short fuse when I tried to log on in previous attempts. Couldn't remember my password and was pissed to have to ask for it. I guess it was a pride thing! Anyways, I appreciate the shoutout Dave.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Two things did it for me:

1) Razor. This has been hashed out many times. I still remember when they had a fake auto in their president series and the admin here jumped to Brian's defense. (And in fairness, he totally owned up to making a mistake and purchased a legit copy for the person that pulled the fake)

2) Mr. Gilmore. I'm actually a fan of the former owner but one incident sums up how he successfully ran off members. I belong to a group called The Team Collectors. As with most groups of this nature, we occasionally lose members. I reached out to Gilmore about recruiting here. He said that it would be fine, so I let the others know. But when I logged back in, he had conditions. We had to use FCB exclusively for all TC posting and take down our website.

I was not personally offended by this, but at least ten members of the TCs still refuse to come here because he wanted us to tear down six years of our history (at the time, it was six years). That is a lot of members to turn away permanently.

It is possible neither of these are the real reason, but they are why I have slowed down my participation here over the years.

You understand why I couldn't allow you to recruit for another forum here right?

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
I haven't found any other site that comes close to FCB...plus i've know some members since 2001 when i got back into the hobby. People might not be joining but they're lurking, this is the go to place for up to the minute news.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
You understand why I couldn't allow you to recruit for another forum here right?

I said above that I wasn't angry about it, though I never understood it. Our conversations there would rarely have taken away from conversation happening here. But by offering us a home and then taking it away, you directly removed some very knowledgeable members from your ranks.

In the end, I'm sure it was a drop in the bucket for membership, but those little things add up.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I said above that I wasn't angry about it, though I never understood it. Our conversations there would rarely have taken away from conversation happening here. But by offering us a home and then taking it away, you directly removed some very knowledgeable members from your ranks.

In the end, I'm sure it was a drop in the bucket for membership, but those little things add up.

If it is any consolation, You are one of the members I have wondered what happened to. Are you also the one who had a niece/nephew who were battling a debilitating disease? I seem to remember that you were somehow connected to them and they used to send periodic emails detailing their journey but I have not seen one in quite some time.

Members online