Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Phillies Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Pickups from the last couple of weeks:

Halladay_Lee_Hamels2011TTT_zpsd335eef4.jpg

Bunning2013TTT_zps0d37aff2.jpg

Asche2014TierOne_zpsb81164f3.jpg
Tocci2014Inception_zpse1e03e36.jpg
Gonzalez_Severino2014Bowman_zps0b2452cc.jpg
Hamels2013FiveStar_zpsb0a0faa1.jpg
Sandberg_zps0f42b404.jpg

Carlton2014TierOneAcetate_zpsb7aa6bc5.jpg
Schmidt2014TierOnceAcetate_zps7eea00eb.jpg
Daulton2014ArchivesSapphire_zpsc843e81f.jpg

Daulton is #5 /5

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Hey all. I finally made a Phillies pick-up from a recent ToppsVault auction.
$_57.JPG
My favorite player growing up was Bake McBride, and I can't even explain why this pickup makes me so happy. If you aren't familiar, Topps used to sign every player in spring camps to a perfunctory contract for $5 (after the Maury Wills incident). Then when the guy made a major league roster, I believe, he was paid I think $75 a year (in the 70s), and more if he was used on a card. Except their normal process wasn't to send them checks, but to keep the money in an account. Topps would send the players catalogs of stuff they could buy, or they could take a cash payout. Players could roll over the account year over year, and build up a fair amount (for the era) over a long career. The awesome Baseball Card Flipping, Trading, and Collecting book (whatever it's called) has an interview with Sy Berger, I think, circa 1972, and he talks about Al Kaline cashing in his account to buy a big color TV. Anyway, they kept track of all these transactions on these little cards. I think it's a fascinating snapshot of a much simpler time, both for the baseball business and the players, and the 70s in general. Back when players often had to find real jobs in the off-season, I'm sure the bonus of a "bug killer" or movie camera and projector were appreciated. This is a real look at Bake's life. I think he had 2 kids. Here he's buying a movie camera, 2 bikes, 2 matching headboards, a calculator that probably went up to 99,999. I don't know about the 2 chainsaws, though. Fascinating.

Members online

Latest posts