Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player for a day? (Winning response gets a Xmas autograph + from team of his/her choice)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'd be Jackie Robinson in his debut. I know it's already been picked and it may sound weird, but I think what he did was awesome and trumps any other accomplishment in baseball, maybe sports. The man stepped to the plate and proved not only that he belonged and was better than a lot of his fellow players, but gave hope to the African American community that they too, could belong. That they too needed to push for acceptance, and that they too were just as good, if not better, than anyone else. For all the crap he had to take, his reward was paid back in a big way. What it must have felt like for him to step to that plate and carry an entire race's hopes and dreams on his shoulders I cannot say. But I'll bet it felt pretty damn cool!

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I would be Brandon Phillips. Day isn't particularly important.

I would get to the ballpark, sign autographs and take pictures with fans. Later, tweeting and re-tweeting with them. It doesn't matter which team they are there to support, just making people's day by signing an auto and posing for a picture. Then after the game, seeing how many of them favorited my re-tweet or response. I love how, home or road, he takes those few seconds to give someone a memory they will cherish for years to come. Of course, during the game there will probably be at least one eye-popping play because of the stellar defense.

His people skills and fan interaction are the main reason I would be him for a day.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
09/08/98 McGwire breaks Maris's record (and not just because I'm a McGwire collector) - this was one of the few times in baseball history the entire nation was watching in anticipation of the breaking of one of the most coveted records in baseball. Steroids weren't a part of the celebration or discussion that day. No matter what anybody else says, I, and most other baseball fans agree that the Sosa/McGwire chase revived baseball for the masses following the strike. Even though he's now an official steroid user, the end of the sosa/mcgwire chase was one of the best moments in baseball history and had a far greater positive impact for the sport in general than most (not all) single moments in baseball history. Not to mention that day he was a hero for more than just one team's fan base.

Runner up - Gibson's HR - has to be runner up since I'm an A's fan :)

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Mike Piazza - first game back after 9/11, hitting a clutch homerun to win the game for the Mets and for New York, the emotion must have been unbelievable, with all the first responders at the game and all that. Man, I'm shaking a little typing this thinking about that moment...

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Wow - lots of people taking time to reply. Here's hoping you are going to honor this one and actually send a prize!

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
I would pick John Paciorek.

We all tell ourselves that if we could just be a big leaguer for one day, we would be happy with that. Paciorek's career lasted one game, but it is the best one game career that anyone has ever had. On September 29, 1963, while playing for the Astros, he went three for three, walked twice, scored four runs and drove in three. This was the final game of the season and he never made it back to the majors.

Ryan The Orange

Mar 30, 2010
St. Louis
September 7, 1993. Mark Whiten hits 4 home runs for 12 RBIs. To have that kind of day at the plate would be incredible. By the fourth at bat, everyone in the park was looking for a home run. I can't imagine how crazy it would be to round the bases four times in one game.ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1387381127.375438.jpg

Ct Sox Fan

Aug 20, 2008
Connecticut
I would love to go back in time and be Bobby Thomson in that WS game in 1951. Winning a WS with a HR is one thing. To have your HR call be one of the most famous of calls of all time in any sport must have been an amazing thing for Mr. Thomson his entire life. You get to relive that moment for an enternity!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Tuffy Rhodes, April 4, 1994 - Cubs season opener!

Playing in an opening day game at Wrigley would be amazing - the great Chicago fans full of optimism, Cubs still in first place, the place hopping. Any Cubs fan that watched this particular game will long remember Tuffy Rhodes awesome day. A warm 53 degree day in early April with the wind blowing out to left. Hitting leadoff and facing Doc Gooden, Tuffy mashed solo homeruns in his first three at bats; 1st, 3rd and 5th innings. He ended the day 4 for 4 plus a walk. The Cubbie faithful were in a total frenzy. A huge curtain call on his 3rd homerun. Pats on the butt from Sandberg, Grace and Sosa.

Tuffy, who only had 337 career at bats and 11 home run total, had the type of day and admiration from the fans that would last anyone a lifetime. He could be sitting in the nursing home at age 90, drooling into his mashed potatoes, and still have a little grin on his face from the memories of that one day. Now that's a day I envy!

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Guys, I was just able to log on. Let me review these a little more closely and I'll post a winner shortly and PM the winner for his mailing address. I may not mail out til tomorrow, however.

Awesome moments here guys-- loved all the posts and think all are worthy candidates for winning.

But I must pick one.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I would love to go back in time and be Bobby Thomson in that WS game in 1951. Winning a WS with a HR is one thing. To have your HR call be one of the most famous of calls of all time in any sport must have been an amazing thing for Mr. Thomson his entire life. You get to relive that moment for an enternity!

You are the winner, sir, but it wasn't the World Series, it was the pennant winning homer.

Take a look at the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrI7dVj90zs

That hit capped a 4-run bottom of the 9th to win that game 5-4 and bring the Giants from 13.5 games out in August to a trip to the World Series: DiMaggio's last and the first for both Mantle and Mays.

Please PM me a team of your choice and mailing address. I will also PM you for these.

Thanks for posting, everyone. I hope you enjoyed reliving some great moments in MLB history here in this thread with me.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited:

Ct Sox Fan

Aug 20, 2008
Connecticut
Awesome! Thanks for selecting my post, even if I got it wrong. Still would be super cool to be the guy in one of the most famous calls of all time! I just sent you my info via PM.

Wayne

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Easy 1996 Game six Charlie Hates who caught the last out just foul by 3rd base. That started the modern day Yankee dynasty and meant the world to me.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Easy 1996 Game six Charlie Hates who caught the last out just foul by 3rd base. That started the modern day Yankee dynasty and meant the world to me.

So you would have been Charlie Hates for a day out of all the people you could have chosen?

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
September 8, 1993. I would become Darryl Kile and pitch his no-hitter against the Mets. My reasoning has nothing to do with it being particularly important for baseball history or for it being significant for the team in the long run. I would want to experience this game from his perspective to see it from the other end of the experience. This game is what turned me into a life-long fan of baseball and Darryl Kile. As a 12-year-old, this game is what turned me from someone interested in the game of baseball into someone that loved the game of baseball. I fully understand the impact this game, and others like it, can have on a fan. I would love to experience that exact same game from the perspective of the pitcher that threw it.

Wasn't his no hitter against Dodgers?

Members online