Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So I went to a card show yesterday....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MetalAndy

Aug 10, 2014
NH
Went to the Shriners card show in Willmington, Ma yesterday just to look around and hopefully find a gem or two that I need for my Ellis Burks collection. I was searching through all the .10, .25, .50 and up boxes hoping to find something. There was honestly nothing. It's obviously tough because he has some really tough 90's and 00's inserts that I need. Some of the dealers had a few boxes of that stuff, but mainly it was the newer stuff.

One dealer asks me "Looking for anything in particular?" I figured my response would definitely get a reaction. "I collect Ellis Burks". This dude almost fell over. I told him I know he's not a player that dealers would even think about bringing to a card show but I was searching anyways. He then tells me without a smirk, "you need to collect a different player". Hey look I'm all about jokes and giving someone a hard time, but this dude was dead serious. It's like, look pal I fully realize that I collect a player that no one cares about and his cards are pretty much worthless in dollar value. I'm just trying to enjoy myself by searching through the junk boxes hoping to even find one I need. I wanted to drag him over his table. What an ignorant thing to say to someone. There are plenty of collector whose favorite players have common value. It's not about that. It means more to us. Card collecting to me personally is about the passion and the hunt in finding new cards of your favorite player.

I've been collecting his cards since 1987. I have over 80% of his cards. I'm excited when I get something to check off of my list. It's a great feeling and that's what it's all about. Sorry for boring you with my story, but I just had to get it out there. To anyone who knows the pains of collecting a common player I salute you! haha. The struggle is real! Hope everyone enjoys their day.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
That's idiotic, your collection is yours and means something to you. People should never tell anyone else what, who or how to collect (except a spouse of course :D) when I tell people I like to focus on sets I get looks and I've actually been told that set building is dead. Like wtf, who are u to being telling me how to manage my collection? I'm curious though, why Ellis? I always like the background story of y a player was chosen

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
I've had dealers tell me the same exact thing about collecting Jeter.......

End game is the dealer didn't have any Jeters so he couldn't make money off me

Clowns

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
Who's in charge of telling us who to collect? You should say you pay triple book for every card you want, maybe he'd be inspired to look for you

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Went to the Shriners card show in Willmington, Ma yesterday just to look around and hopefully find a gem or two that I need for my Ellis Burks collection. I was searching through all the .10, .25, .50 and up boxes hoping to find something. There was honestly nothing. It's obviously tough because he has some really tough 90's and 00's inserts that I need. Some of the dealers had a few boxes of that stuff, but mainly it was the newer stuff.

One dealer asks me "Looking for anything in particular?" I figured my response would definitely get a reaction. "I collect Ellis Burks". This dude almost fell over. I told him I know he's not a player that dealers would even think about bringing to a card show but I was searching anyways. He then tells me without a smirk, "you need to collect a different player". Hey look I'm all about jokes and giving someone a hard time, but this dude was dead serious. It's like, look pal I fully realize that I collect a player that no one cares about and his cards are pretty much worthless in dollar value. I'm just trying to enjoy myself by searching through the junk boxes hoping to even find one I need. I wanted to drag him over his table. What an ignorant thing to say to someone. There are plenty of collector whose favorite players have common value. It's not about that. It means more to us. Card collecting to me personally is about the passion and the hunt in finding new cards of your favorite player.

I've been collecting his cards since 1987. I have over 80% of his cards. I'm excited when I get something to check off of my list. It's a great feeling and that's what it's all about. Sorry for boring you with my story, but I just had to get it out there. To anyone who knows the pains of collecting a common player I salute you! haha. The struggle is real! Hope everyone enjoys their day.

Now you know my plight. I hate a chunk of dealer's for this reason.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I get the same ish when I say I collect Griffey! I went to that show last year and didn't like the over attitudes of the dealers so I didn't go this weekend.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
There will always be people that have those type of attitudes and in this case I believe the dealer is in the wrong business. They will likely, never again, get a sale from you; that is a poor business practice.

Now, when it comes to collecting, we need to collect what we enjoy. This is a "hobby" for most of us and have fun doing so. People like this dealer will put a bad taste in our mouth, but there are plenty of other good individuals out there that we can purchase our items.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
I don't even bother telling them what I collect. I would rather just look hope to find something I want and grab other things that are at good prices.

MetalAndy

Aug 10, 2014
NH
Thanx for the replies everyone. It was probably because he couldn't make any $ off of me. That's a good point guys. He just had this attitude like I was beneath him or something because of who I collect. Unreal.

It's supposed to be for fun. That's why it's called a hobby. Get it? lol. That's why I first got into it as a kid. You watch the games and you have your favorite players so you collect their cards. It was awesome!
[MENTION=11924]AnthonyCorona[/MENTION] - I guess the reason I started collecting Burks was because I met him in 87 at Fenway Park when I was 10 years old. I yelled to him and asked if he could sign my ball. He walked right over to me. He was really polite and signed my baseball. I was literally beside myself. I was so excited that he did that for me. Very pumped 10 year old!!! haha. Plus I grew up in Central Mass and had been watching the Sox with the Grandfather since I was a baby. I loved the way he played the game and how he was a respectful person and player. I was destroyed when he changed Sox. Well there you go. That's pretty much the reason. Thanx for asking!

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
[MENTION=11924]AnthonyCorona[/MENTION] - I guess the reason I started collecting Burks was because I met him in 87 at Fenway Park when I was 10 years old. I yelled to him and asked if he could sign my ball. He walked right over to me. He was really polite and signed my baseball. I was literally beside myself. I was so excited that he did that for me. Very pumped 10 year old!!! haha. Plus I grew up in Central Mass and had been watching the Sox with the Grandfather since I was a baby. I loved the way he played the game and how he was a respectful person and player. I was destroyed when he changed Sox. Well there you go. That's pretty much the reason. Thanx for asking!

very cool reason. Athletes can really make fans for life with simple gestures that mean a lot to fans. Good luck finding more!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts