Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will Rhys Hoskins have any rookie cards this year?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
I read that Topps won't have any ready till 2018. So what happens if Panini gets him in a late 2017 product? Can you imagine all of his RCs not including logos and such? Yuck.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
He certainly won't have any RC's but he still may have some non-auto prospect cards in Bowman Chrome/Bowman Draft/Bowman whatever else.

My complaint is that he has absolutely no BC autos. If he had, I would have money invested in him and by the looks of it, he would have been a wise investment too.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
If Topps knows who Hoskins is (and it's doubtful since he doesn't have "Yankees" or "Mets" across his uniform), you'd think they could sneak him into 2017 topps update since there are probably open spots in the checklist for late-minute adds and the base cards/packout probably won't go to press for a month.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
If Topps knows who Hoskins is (and it's doubtful since he doesn't have "Yankees" or "Mets" across his uniform), you'd think they could sneak him into 2017 topps update since there are probably open spots in the checklist for late-minute adds and the base cards/packout probably won't go to press for a month.

Generally speaking, any rookie called up after August 1st (or one of those days in early August) will be in the following year's product & Hoskins debuted on August 10th so regardless the team he played for he'd still be in next years product. Aaron Judge debuted nearly the same day as Hoskins did last year (August 13th I believe) and didn't have a rookie card until the following year as well.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I don't see why Topps can't print the RC logo cards of late call ups in their update set.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
I don't see why Topps can't print the RC logo cards of late call ups in their update set.

They probably could if they really wanted to but I'm sure they hold off doing it with the breakout rookies to help boost pre-sales the following year (since Series 1 comes out before the following season begins, which means no new rookies to excite customers. Only the ones from the previous season)

I think it's lame. A players rookie card should correspond with the year they were actually called up. Maybe allow some exceptions with the September call-ups since it's so close to release date and they weren't on the 25-man roster.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
A players rookie card should correspond with the year they were actually called up.

I think Topps debut cards should be done away with. It's stupid to open an update pack to pull a debut card and it's from a debut that was more than a year before (i.e. in 2015 update, a debut card with a 2014 date).

Looks like Topps likes to be behind the times releasing rookie cards the following year after debut (Judge in 2017 topps when he debuted in 2016) and releasing debut cards more than a year after their debut (Judge probably will have a debut card in 2017 topps update with
his 2016 debut date on it).

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
They probably could if they really wanted to but I'm sure they hold off doing it with the breakout rookies to help boost pre-sales the following year (since Series 1 comes out before the following season begins, which means no new rookies to excite customers. Only the ones from the previous season)

I think it's lame. A players rookie card should correspond with the year they were actually called up. Maybe allow some exceptions with the September call-ups since it's so close to release date and they weren't on the 25-man roster.

This is part of the reason I dislike the RC logo cards and refuse to recognize them as legit rookies. X player's first MLB licensed card is their only true rookie in my view. Yes, I know many don't see it that way. By the time X player finally has RC logo cards made, he's already had 50 other MLB licensed cards printed years earlier.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Generally speaking, any rookie called up after August 1st (or one of those days in early August) will be in the following year's product & Hoskins debuted on August 10th so regardless the team he played for he'd still be in next years product. Aaron Judge debuted nearly the same day as Hoskins did last year (August 13th I believe) and didn't have a rookie card until the following year as well.

Actually, it's the all-star break.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I hate this debate. It's just way simpler to do things the way they were done in the first 100 years of the hobby so you don't have all these artificial rules and loopholes. Rhys Hoskins's RCs were in 2014.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
I don't get it. What's the point of having a rookie card issued 3 years before a player's major league debut? Was Hoskins a rookie in 2014?

Members online