Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How can a card 5 km from me cost $17 to ship?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
USPS doesn't charge by the mileage; if I shipped a package to my next door neighbor, it would cost the same as shipping it to Hawaii. That said, if it's $17, it better be big or expensive or both.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I assume that's eBay's International Shipping program? Essentially the item is shipped to ebay and once ebay receives it the seller's part is done. Ebay then forwards it on to the buyer and assumes the risk. Or something along those lines where ebay basically becomes the middle man and the seller doesn't get screwed by an international buyer or by the sometimes randomly slow shipping speed in Canada (I've seen items arrive months after shipped). It's expensive but unfortunately because of the risks mentioned a lot of sellers are now using this as the only option for international shipping.

I'm making a lot of assumptions here but I believe that's why you're seeing such high shipping prices

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I just dont see the logic.

Since you used the term "km", I will assume you are Canadian and not american and 5 km is the distance to the border so that $17 is the ripoff USPS fee to send a trackable package to Canada.

RagingAcid

Feb 26, 2017
Markham, ON
Since you used the term "km", I will assume you are Canadian and not american and 5 km is the distance to the border so that $17 is the ripoff USPS fee to send a trackable package to Canada.

Nope, a solid 93 miles/150 km from the boarder.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
The details in this thread and what occured are lacking at best...

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
International shipping can be a nightmare...but so can shipping something across town.

...and nothing is ever cheap. :-(

p

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I have bought from many Canadian sellers but they live close to the border. They cross it to ship & receive their stuff. I'm not sure if driving 96 miles is worth saving the $17 or not (NOT!). It's the price you pay if you really want something!

Since the US has basically closed the open border with Canada, the USPS has to ship their stuff to a warehouse, get inspected for whatever and move it to a warehouse in Canada. Canada then inspects it as well, then they have to sort it for their mail system. All of these steps cost $$$ that you the shipper/buyer are paying for. Ebay assumes the liability for the package if you use their international shipping system.

Fordman

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
If the card is 5km (3.1 miles) from you, why wouldn't you ask the seller to meet up with you to exchange and not have it shipped?