Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wow, upper deck busts a pack searcher!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Anyone want to bring him a pillow, perhaps a margarita?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Upper Deck didn't bust him...they didn't even show his face because they're scared he'd sue them

It gave them an excuse to say "Oh, look we care!" without actually doing anything different

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I don't recall any company ever speaking out against pack searching like this. I know they all devise ways to make it harder, but to take a photo from a collector and use it as a PSA is something I haven't seen before. Hats off to Upper Deck.

Upper Deck didn't bust him...they didn't even show his face because they're scared he'd sue them

It gave them an excuse to say "Oh, look we care!" without actually doing anything different

You're right in that Upper Deck didn't bust him. They didn't have a choice to show his face because they didn't take the photo. I don't know where it originated, but it was circulating on a few facebook groups.

Upper Deck passed along the photo and spoke out against it, possibly alienating some of their customers who are pack searchers. They also shared the photo featuring products from other companies, not even their own.

Last edited:

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
id love to catch one of these guys doing this and id sit and watch from a distance, seeing which packs he puts aside and near the end walk up next to him and just pick up his stack of hot packs and go directly to check out. lol

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Wow, that guy looks as if he'd been camped out there for a while! Flip flops off, barefoot and flab ass planted on the store floor. It might just be me, but you would wonder what the store mgt/employees or patrons thought of this as they walked by. I know I'd say something to him. Shame the crap out of him. Then again, maybe he doesnt have any shame!

On a side note: I thought thats why they keep those items up front by the registers and service desk, to keep a better eye on them plus to cut down on theft.

Fordman

Last edited:

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Not that it matter, but I was at target about two months ago and I ran into the same guy I ran into about 2 years ago, the first encounter didnt go well to say the least, the next even worse. Although he didnt remember me, I remembered him. so I asked him a loaded question first.

"Find anything good yet" I said
"not yet" and then he kind of laughed.

I just walked past at first but I guess the few cocktail I had at dinner with my wife had kicked in before we went to the store. and I couldnt help myself. I went back to this IDIOT and asked if I could take a picture of him, I feel that target should know who he is because he is "damging" their goods. This is when it got ugly, he stands up and proceed to yell at me and tell me what a POS I am and that he gives his packs to the McDonalds house.... (same LAME Ass excuse he used in our first meeting.) At least he is consistent. LOL Then says what am I the dork police. I had to laugh at this cause in realty, he may have a point. Although I am not the one wasting my time to find $2 dollar inserts. Why should I care? BECAUSE I buy blasters and racks from the local targets and to me he is ROBBING me of any chance I ever have to land a good card. Long story short we proceed to get into a shouting match where it almost comes to blows before security came over and told us to cool down. I know some people say, why do you confront these people, it is there right to search packs! To which I say F@@@ these people. If they felt they were doing nothing wrong why care what other people think. Yes, I initiated it, but he doesnt even defend himself, just uses some BS line that he is doing it for the KIDS> I hate PACKSEARCHERS. And to be clear, Not the ones that look through the packs and maybe sees a thicker pack and buys that one. That isn't where I find fault. but the A-Holes that finger/****** through each pack/rack pack ect. Sorry for the rant

caster513

Jul 16, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
How can target allow a guy to sit on the floor and spread out all these packs without saying a darn thing?? Feel bad for the kids that don't have much money and only pick up a couple packs, to them a jersey card would be a solid hit, to bad this ****** has no shame.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
One of the most popular responses I always see is "so they can get a garbage jersey card of a scrub" or something of that nature.

Some of these pack searchers don't even bust their packs. They'll sell them as hot packs and make at least $10 profit per pack.

I pulled this from retail. The pack seemed a little oblong and heavy, so I kind of expected a nice hit. But seriously, I did pull the redemption for this from a pack of retail 2007 Topps Baseball from Walmart, and have probably hit more cards of value from retail than I have from hobby boxes.

page.png

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
How can target allow a guy to sit on the floor and spread out all these packs without saying a darn thing?? Feel bad for the kids that don't have much money and only pick up a couple packs, to them a jersey card would be a solid hit, to bad this ****** has no shame.

A few reasons I'd guess:

1) Target sees him as a potential buyer and doesn't want to throw him out and lose that potential sale.
2) If he's not going to buy something, most employees don't care enough to do anything unless directed to by their boss
3) He's not stealing or causing a disturbance, just loitering, and Target as well as other chain stores normally don't care because, again, the longer you remain in store the more likely you are to buy something
4) Target, Walmart, etc, do not care about people searching cards and if someone is ripping another person off. It's all about their bottom line which is selling the cards.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Problem is that while WE know it's wrong, the store managers and workers just think they are some weird dudes who ****** packs of cards.

They aren't opening them or stealing so no laws are broken. In fact, to the stores, he is a paying customer.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
id love to catch one of these guys doing this and id sit and watch from a distance, seeing which packs he puts aside and near the end walk up next to him and just pick up his stack of hot packs and go directly to check out. lol

Holy hell this is an amazing idea. I'd do it just for the look on his face - "sorry, buddy - these weren't in your hands or in your cart, so they're fair game!"

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Holy hell this is an amazing idea. I'd do it just for the look on his face - "sorry, buddy - these weren't in your hands or in your cart, so they're fair game!"

Someone on another forum did this, then opened the packs on his website and then gave the cards to a kids home i think. cant remember his name right now. "Houdini" I think

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Reading some of the comments, this guy obviously is just as lost as the guy doing the searching.

Robert Welk
There must be some kind of law to stop this.
Like · 5 hours ago

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts