Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official 2014 Cleveland National Sports Collectors Convention Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I will say this was my first time in Cleveland and i think it was the least time i've ever spent at the national. I probably spent 4 or 5 hours a day there for the 3 days i actually went and on Saturday, [MENTION=1763]moxacaine[/MENTION] and I decided that the Rock and Roll HOF would be a better time. The show seemed flat and having a house made it alot easier to be slow in getting ready but also led to some great conversation and laughs. Not sure a house will work in chicago but those shows are better by a mile and offer more options around the city!

tim carroll

Feb 15, 2009
Whew. What a week! I'm now back home in Conway (just outside Myrtle Beach). I have had several people ask me how it went, so I thought I'd go ahead and post the 2014 Cleveland National from my view.

I started my journey on Thursday, July 31. A friend drove me down to Charleston to fly out from there. I was worried I would not be able to take the Gretzky artwork (in my portfolio) on the plane. It was oversized, but I certainly wanted to avoid checking it and having it tossed under the plane. While at the gate, wondering the best way to approach the agent at the gate, an older gentleman walked past me. He looked at the me, pointed at the portfolio, and said, "Is that a Wayne Gretzky in there?" I was totally confused. How did he know that? He saw my expression and immediately walked up, shook my hand, and said, "I read the Upper Deck Blog." We talked for a bit, then he took me on board earlier than preboard. He explained to the flight crew what I had and what I needed. They were awesome the rest of the way - they put the art inside the front closet, and told me the "key words" to say at the next gate to ensure the art stayed in the cabin.

I arrived in Cleveland that evening and decided to take in the Indians/Mariners game. Since it was just myself, and it was my birthday, I figured I'd splurge and sit as close as I could. 2nd row behind homeplate wasn't bad at all!!

Friday came, and I arrived at the I-X center. I knew the place was going to be full of vendors - I just seriously could not have planned to see THAT MUCH stuff. I felt like a 10-year old all over again. I made my way to the Upper Deck booth to set up shop. They positioned my table to be at the entrance of the Fan Cave (Upper Deck's version of a fan's dream lounge). The setup was extremely impressive. I then had a table, anchored by easels that held my Griffey piece (signed by Junior), and my Gretzky piece. I began work on the Lebron James 2003-04 Exquisite RC AUTO/PATCH #/99. Nothing but UD Cavalier cards. I also used a store bought Lebron jersey to cut for the patch. Worked like a charm.

image_zps81ec4584.jpg

Rumor was buzzing all around the booth about the Saturday night UD Diamond Club party. Who was the special guest going to be? Lebron? Tiger? Rory? All 3 stars were in town, and all 3 are UD spokesmen.

Over the course of Friday and Saturday, I met a few Bench members, and many other members of other forums as well. Steve Mason, goalie for the Flyers, was a guest of UD at the Fan Cave on Saturday. He set up in front of the NHL HOF display of trophies. I'm not an NHL guy, but I completely respect the history and tradition of the sport and the trophies they award. It was pretty cool to be among so much hockey bling. Mason was gracious and signed for every fan in line.

image_zps85620538.jpg

7a492699-023e-4341-a0f2-11ce84c49321_zps739da8a5.jpg

By the end of Saturday, I had completed about 80% of the piece. I stayed up late at the hotel Friday night with my X-Acto and a cutting board working on the letters/numbers. I'm glad I did - I would not have come close to getting that much complete otherwise. I was running out of cards towards the 4:00 mark.

image_zpsefef2e0b.jpg

So, I packed it in and just talked to the guys within the UD booth (and the Diamond Club party invites that were arriving).

At 6:15, we hopped a shuttle that was taking us to destination unknown. Turns out, we landed at the Corner Alley in downtown Cleveland. Pretty cool place. UD had a table set up for the party raffle - everything from Exquisite boxes to many, many autos and memorabilia. Tiger autos, Rory autos, Gretzy auto'd torch, jerseys, basketballs, and a Jordan USA Jersey that was auto'd, inscribed, and numbered to 23. I was in awe. We had open bar and 6 lanes open to bowl. All in a glass-enclosed private area. Before long, Chris Carlin came out and introduced our host for the night: Who was it going to be? Lebron? Tiger? Rory?

Nope.

SHAQUILLE O'NEAL!!!

image_zps679a5b6f.jpg

Shaq was incredible. He picked on me a bit for my southern accent (in a fun way), and he also took the time to bowl with anyone that wanted.

He was too fun! Shortly before leaving, he came around and had about 5 boxes in his hand. He was walking around and choosing people to hand the boxes to. He walked past me and said, "Here you go, Mississippi!" He handed me a box of 2011-2012 UD Exquisite Basketball. By far the most expensive box I have ever owned. I immediately ripped into it, and I pulled this beauty (#'d 50/60):

208b6a16-ad60-44db-a842-d86ddf5f3ad0_zps07abe56b.jpg

The following day, I came into the convention and decided to do a walk-through. I didn't get to see everything, obviously, but it was nice seeing the history at the place. Gehrig game used pants, a Ruth Game used bat, the Ali gloves, a Gehrig game used hat, the Black Swamp find cards, a T-206 Wagner (first I had ever seen in person), T206 Magie ERR, T206 Planks, etc. Anything and everything I have always read about. I didn't have time to get started back on the Lebron artwork, but I was able to buy each of my boys a Mantle. For those of you that know the story about my father and the '62 Topps Mantle - I was able to pass that memory down to each of my boys.;)

I left the I-X and went straight to the airport, bringing the unfinished Lebron art to finish up at home. I was supposed to meet Joe Torre before he signed at the National this day, but my flight left out before Torre arrived. I was pretty bummed that the opportunity passed without me getting to see him, but lady luck had something else in mind for this Sox fan. When I arrived at the airport, I was able to meet my favorite Sock - PEDRO MARTINEZ!! We talked briefly before I made my way to the gate. I flew through Chicago and Memphis before reuniting with my wife. We spent a couple of days in Memphis before hanging out with family in Mississippi. I arrived in South Carolina last night, and I will be finishing the Lebron this weekend.

Here is a Beckett article that details a bit about my work - I will also have upcoming articles/mentions/segments in the following: Beckett Basketball, Beckett Hockey, ESPN the Magazine, and ESPN Mint Condition.

http://www.beckett.com/news/2014/08...ute-at-national-sports-collectors-convention/

If anyone is interested in updates on the Lebron piece, etc.....follow me on twitter: @timcarrollart.

Thanks for the long read!

Tim

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
thanks for the update. I last saw a photo of the piece when it was probably a quarter or third done in a Beckett blog entry. Good to see it much more complete and I'll follow Twitter to see the final version.

If it was a recreation of the auto version of the card, I'd be funny if Lebron was able to personally sign it with a much larger version of his signature rather than you have to slice and dice dark-colored pieces to create the auto.