Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ronald Acuña Turns Down $30M Contract Extension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Arturo Marcano of ESPN Deportes reports that Braves outfield prospect Ronald Acuña turned down a $30 million contract extension from the Braves. This comes on the heels of recent extensions signed by Scott Kingery (six years, $24 million) and Ketel Marte (five years, $24 million).

It’s no surprise that Acuña, 20, is betting on himself. Many young players end up signing extensions like that because they value the up-front security. Acuña, however, is considered to be the best position player prospect in baseball. The only reason he isn’t on the Braves’ Opening Day roster is for service time reasons, as he torched spring pitching to the tune of a .432 average with four home runs and 11 RBI in 52 plate appearances. Last year, between three levels of the minors between High-A and Triple-A, Acuña hit .325/.374/.522 with 21 home runs, 82 RBI, 88 runs scored, and 44 stolen bases in 612 plate appearances.

For the first two weeks of the season, left field will be manned primarily by Preston Tucker. Once April 13 rolls around, expect Acuña to be there.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I said this in the kingery thread and I think it's magnified for acuna, at their age they should be just hitting their prime when the contract would end, if they play up to expectations (not even sure that's possible for acuna) they are still in line for a massive pay day, I'm not sure what the down side is. I didn't see the amount of years offered acuna but he would be missing one, maybe two years of FA? I think some upfront security is worth that trade. 30 mil now, plays well for the contract then sign for a nine figure pay day when he's still in his mid twenties....not too shabby.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I said this in the kingery thread and I think it's magnified for acuna, at their age they should be just hitting their prime when the contract would end, if they play up to expectations (not even sure that's possible for acuna) they are still in line for a massive pay day, I'm not sure what the down side is. I didn't see the amount of years offered acuna but he would be missing one, maybe two years of FA? I think some upfront security is worth that trade. 30 mil now, plays well for the contract then sign for a nine figure pay day when he's still in his mid twenties....not too shabby.

It kind of depends on how many years of course but I'm on your side with this one. He's under Braves control for 6 years anyway so unless there were FA option years tacked to the end he wouldn't lose any free agency. $30 million can't be too far off what he'd make in that 6 year term with arb raises. It's probably a little bit short if he really is the player he looks to be but certainly it's close enough that the risk of a career ending injury tomorrow outweighs any difference. I guess not though for him. It definitely would be for me. $30 million is great grandkids set for life money, not just me. I wouldn't be able to sign it fast enough, especially knowing I'm going to hit free agency again at age 26 when it is done.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I don't pay attention to things in that detail, but I assume the agent does. Would he make more in annual arbitration until he reaches full free agency? Do they think there will be big changes in the next CBA?

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I don't pay attention to things in that detail, but I assume the agent does. Would he make more in annual arbitration until he reaches full free agency? Do they think there will be big changes in the next CBA?

He probably would, maybe by as much as $10-15 million though that would be a stretch. Josh Donaldson earned ~$35 million in his first 6 seasons, including his first 3 arb years. That includes bumps for winning the MVP, etc. He's a Super 2 and got $23 million this year in his last arb year but I don't see the Braves letting that happen with Acuna.

Acuna could fall down some stairs tomorrow and never be able to play baseball again too. It's stupid not to sign that contract for guaranteed set for life money, especially when you're going to be a free agent again at 26.

Last edited:

Members online