Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hobby terms which irk you

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
eBay 1/1 and rookie card

Everything is now a rookie card. Even though rookie cards have a nice little RC symbol, prospects are rookie cards, rookie cards are rookie cards, and I've even seen 2nd and 3rd year "rookie cards" or RC

Ogando, Michael Young, Leonys Martin and all Texas Rangers

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
And I love that RCs have an image stamp now but when will people learn a Bowman Prospect card isn't a rookie card.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Pretty much all of the grading related slang, but especially poppage. i have been lurking on the PSA boards for a while, commenting periodically, and I see it all the time. I guess I don't get it and that whole segment of the industry bothers me a little.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
This is not a term but another thing that makes me hate the hobby a little.

Joey Gallo BC Auto/150 sold for 130
Prince Fielder Relic/auto booklet/5 is listed on eBay for the same

A perennial all star auto/relic book 30 times rarer has lower value than a colored auto of a guy who more likely than not will never be an all-star. Likely will never be a regular starter by pure odds and time to the league. It's the market and I don't prospect so it's okay but it just makes absolutely no sense.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Having trouble determining if this is sarcasm?

Not sarcasm. I like the RC on base cards. I wish there were more inserts like there used to be without it, but base rookies are only the cards with the RC.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
And I love that RCs have an image stamp now but when will people learn a Bowman Prospect card isn't a rookie card.

It stems from the past when a players first card was his rookie card. A Bowman prospect card is a players first card so it is refered to as a rookie card, as a reference to said players first card.

Unfortunately, Topps/Bowman releases 6 different Bowman Chrome Prospect or Draft cards of almost every player now. I miss the days when a player had one Bowman Chrome prospect card.

Hobby term that irks me is ebay 1/1. No one cares!

Last edited:

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Same can be said for "pack fresh". God forbid you say mint or near mint because some SOB is gonna be filing another chargeback when that card doesn't meet their 9.5 minimum grade sub.
So most of these words you can't stand are necessary because of collectors you can't stand :)
Exactly. It's self defense for sellers.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
People who refer to them self as a super collector.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
It stems from the past when a players first card was his rookie card. A Bowman prospect card is a players first card so it is refered to as a rookie card, as a reference to said players first card.

Unfortunately, Topps/Bowman releases 6 different Bowman Chrome Prospect or Draft cards of almost every player now. I miss the days when a player had one Bowman Chrome prospect card.

Hobby term that irks me is ebay 1/1. No one cares!

Agree with this. Until 2006, the Bowman Chrome card was almost always the RC. The stupid RC logo crap just made it worse. Prince Fielder has a 2002 Upper Deck Prospect Premieres auto, yet his 2006 cards are his RC's. It's dumb. I still hate Bud Selig for it.

I can't believe no one has come up with this one yet ...... HOT BOX !!!!!

I can't stand it when I'm in my LCS and I buy a box ....say Elite and I pull 2 autos in the first 2 packs I open and the owner comes over and yells HOT BOX !!! You got a HOT BOX !!!

I feel like slapping the XXXX outta him because in most cases I end up opening up the next 12 packs with no autos and eventually end up with the 6 autos that were supposed to come in the box.

HOT BOX !!! Next time I'm throwing the box at him.......

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
How about the words used to describe the low-end of the grading scale?

Good, Very Good, Excellent

Only in sports cards are those words used to describe something really crappy.

+1! I hate especially when you see a listing, the idiot seller says "card is in good condition" or "card is in excellent condition", the scan looks fine -- good centering, apparently sharp corners, etc. -- and you submit a question to seller asking what is wrong with the card and they reply back that nothing is wrong with the card.

my other pet-peeve is when you have a base card or insert that is not autographed and the item description has "not auto" in it. ****s my ebay searches for autographed cards of targeted athletes by also returning search results that are non-signed cards of those athletes because of the "not auto".

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
This term doesn't really irk me per say it just conjured up some nostalgia...when I was a kid/teen we used to call a damaged card 'biffed'. Anyone else remember using this term?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
This term doesn't really irk me per say it just conjured up some nostalgia...when I was a kid/teen we used to call a damaged card 'biffed'. Anyone else remember using this term?

We used to say "yo, that card is pocoroba'd" instead ;)

Attachments

• 1393528752879.jpg
    1393528752879.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 32

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
Surprised nobody has mentioned "RAZZ"...

Can't stand when people say "were razzin' cards"

Also falling along the lines of "sick hit" mentioned earlier I personally can't stand "nasty"

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
In my childhood, a "biff" was a fart...so...no.

In another thread someone mentioned being irked when a card is numbered #1 /*** or ***/*** and they put in the auction "first one made" or "last one made." I agree. First of all, who cares? Second of all, it probably isn't. If anything, card #1 is likely the last one made. You make 10 copies of something, you are probably making them all at once, and piling them up so the last one made is on top of the stack. Then you run them through the numberer, which is either starting with 1 or, more likely, controlled by a computer that randomizes the whole range of numbers. So chances are the first card made is the last one numbered, which, IMHO, is extremely unlikely to get #1 on it. Now, there may be a small premium to card #1 or #*** , but why would anyone care in what order the cards are made, even if you could know?

Members online

Latest posts