Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Thrift Store Thread - Sports Edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

parsetdx

Apr 15, 2009
Philly
I would start higher. you paid 1.50. if it sells for ten, ebay takes a dollar (ten percent). Paypal takes 30 cents per transaction plus 2.9%. so thats like another 50 cents. so your cost is at three thus far.

Now shipping... Average is between 8 to 10 ounces, and depending on your ebay shipping discount, 8 ounce costs me 2.59, and ten ounce is like 2.97. but if you dont have the discount, then its like 50 cents more or so.

So 3 bucks plus 3.50 (worst case) puts you at making just 3.50... Not a big enough payout to make this worth it.

I played with mine a bit, settling on 11 starting bid, 14.50 BIN plus 5 shipping (i was sending a priority flat rate envelope). This was good for a bit, then people were asking if I could do better on the shipping costs. So, I switched to shipping first class using poly mailing bags for free, but raised my prices to 15/20. Been working thus far. Some people hit the BIN, others let it ride at 15.

However, I did recently reduce the prices on stuff I have had since the first third of the year, to 13/17, with free shipping. Been doing ok with that as well.

One reason I like shipping Priority is the better service level (less lost stuff), but also because the materials - boxes, padded envelopes, everything - are free. Where are you able to get free poly mailing bags for first class parcel shipping? Does the USPS also offer those supplies for free? Thanks for the info.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
One reason I like shipping Priority is the better service level (less lost stuff), but also because the materials - boxes, padded envelopes, everything - are free. Where are you able to get free poly mailing bags for first class parcel shipping? Does the USPS also offer those supplies for free? Thanks for the info.

i too liked shipping priority flat rate, cuz it didnt matter what it weighed. But people didnt see it like that. They saw that shipping was five bucks for a tshirt. Sure, it was priority mail, but it didnt matter. People still asked for cheaper shipping. Fine. So ill offer free shipping, but raise my prices. All they see is free shipping at that point, and so far, so good.

poly bags cost 9 cents each (100 bags for 9 bucks). Labels are a nickel each. And ship em first class mail, not parcel. Parcel costs are higher. Most shirts weigh around ten ounces. As long as its 13 or under, you can do first class mail. Anything more than that and then you can do the flat rate envelopes/boxes. Just depends on what you are shipping. Jackets, sweatshirts, more than one shirt per buyer... These can usually be stuffed in a flat rate bubble mailer. Starter jackets, hooded sweatshirts will need other ways. Sometimes you make your own box. Sometimes a regional box is even cheaper than the flat rates. Just gotta play around with the options.

Last edited:

Mellowturtle

Feb 3, 2014
Went thrifting this weekend for the first time is a while. Not much out there this go around, but here are some highlights.
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1410752498.931678.jpg
TMNT Youth bucket hat New With Tag.
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1410752551.195614.jpg
Youth Air Jordan cap.
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1410752580.205363.jpg
Atlanta Braves New Era Cap w/crushed velvet checkerboard pattern.
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1410752666.976915.jpg
1853 printing of the works of William Shakespeare. Paid $1.99. I'm keeping this one.
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1410752788.280160.jpgImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1410752802.750644.jpg
Early 70's Souvenir Ashtray from Disney World with original box and price tag. The wife collects Disney, so she'll probably keep this one.

djmilhaus

Sep 8, 2014
Seattle
Went thrifting this weekend for the first time is a while. Not much out there this go around, but here are some highlights.
View attachment 40755
TMNT Youth bucket hat New With Tag.
View attachment 40756
Youth Air Jordan cap.
View attachment 40757
Atlanta Braves New Era Cap w/crushed velvet checkerboard pattern.
View attachment 40758
1853 printing of the works of William Shakespeare. Paid $1.99. I'm keeping this one.
View attachment 40760View attachment 40761
Early 70's Souvenir Ashtray from Disney World with original box and price tag. The wife collects Disney, so she'll probably keep this one.

Cool stuff... that ashtray is amazing and love that old Shakespeare book. Great stuff!

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Seeing the Turtles hat reminded me of this that I picked up a while ago. Don't really know why I got it, it must have spoken to me subconsciously or something.

tmntComingOutOfTheirShells.jpg

djmilhaus

Sep 8, 2014
Seattle
My latest finds:

Chicago Bears youth Chalk Line (looks new)
TGp0r6M.jpg

SCxoJE2.jpg

University of Washington Huskies Chalk Line
4VB7XCf.jpg

Couple of almost new New York Yankees fitted caps
BAvIdZu.jpg

Members online