Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What Is the Best Way to Scan and Sell Vintage Cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie5354

Feb 9, 2017
Central Florida
Hi Guys,

I'm new at this baseball card selling and would appreciate some advice. I've got some old '53 and '54 baseball cards (couple hundred of them) and I'm wondering what is the best way to show them for sale online? I have a new scanner and I'm able to scan things and store them on my computer. I also recently bought some card sleeves that would fit these vintage cards and also have some toploader card holders that will fit these cards.

So now I'm wondering what is the best way to scan these cards for sale. Should I just place them bare on the scanner, or should I put them in a sleeve, or should I put them in both a sleeve and holder?

Thanks for any tips or info.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
I scan mine sleeved. The link in my signature will show you some examples.

A lot of collectors use Photobucket, but Imgur will also work for uploading your scans.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I place mine bare in the scanner and then a lot of times I'll place a black piece of paper over them. I do that so the scanner doesn't cut off parts of the borders like it sometimes likes to to. It ends up scanning the whole screen so you'll probably need to crop them, but you can really see the edges, corners, and centering better. The better the scans, the better money you'll get for them.

Charlie5354

Feb 9, 2017
Central Florida
Thanks. OK, so let's say that I get them scanned and uploaded to Photobucket (or similar). Then do I just list them here in the "For Sale" forum and put a price on them? How is payment usually handled? I don't do PayPal.

Also, is it acceptable to list them for sale as a group of 10 or 20 (or whatever) so that I don't have to fool with so many individual transactions?

Thanks again, and sorry for such basic questions.

Charlie

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
The Photobucket has really fallen back on most people's list.

Sell 'em in bigger lots of possible.

But has anyone told you about card grading?

Charlie5354

Feb 9, 2017
Central Florida
I have read about card grading and know several of the criteria on how the cards are graded. I've also read that it can cost perhaps $15 to get one card graded. While there are advantages to having cards professionally graded, I was hoping that by providing good clear photos of the cards that the buyer could decide for himself what the grade would be and decide for himself what he's willing to pay for it.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Thanks. OK, so let's say that I get them scanned and uploaded to Photobucket (or similar). Then do I just list them here in the "For Sale" forum and put a price on them? How is payment usually handled? I don't do PayPal.

Also, is it acceptable to list them for sale as a group of 10 or 20 (or whatever) so that I don't have to fool with so many individual transactions?

Thanks again, and sorry for such basic questions.

Charlie

We all started somewhere.

Yes, you can certainly list them for sale on the Buy/Sell/Trade part of the forum. Payment is usually handled via PayPal. Really, the only alternative is for you to accept a money order. Given that you're so new, it's likely people wouldn't feel comfortable unless you sent the card first, or used a willing moderator as an intermediary.

You're missing out on a big part of the market by not using PayPal, since without that, you can't sell on eBay.

It would depend on pricing whether or not you should sell as a lot of 10 or 20. For commons? Sure, team lots are the way to go. If you have Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle, there aren't many buyers that can (or would want to) fork over the money for 10 or 20 of those all at once.

Check Out My Cards could be an alternative for you.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
if its a star player or a high grade card i would definitely grade them. people will feel much better about paying more knowing theyre not altered in anyway.

Charlie5354

Feb 9, 2017
Central Florida
We all started somewhere.

Yes, you can certainly list them for sale on the Buy/Sell/Trade part of the forum. Payment is usually handled via PayPal. Really, the only alternative is for you to accept a money order. Given that you're so new, it's likely people wouldn't feel comfortable unless you sent the card first, or used a willing moderator as an intermediary.

You're missing out on a big part of the market by not using PayPal, since without that, you can't sell on eBay.

It would depend on pricing whether or not you should sell as a lot of 10 or 20. For commons? Sure, team lots are the way to go. If you have Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle, there aren't many buyers that can (or would want to) fork over the money for 10 or 20 of those all at once.

Check Out My Cards could be an alternative for you.

I suppose that I could set up a Paypal account, but I know nothing about it at this time. I'm not really interested in using Paypal credits to buy additional cards or anything like that. I just want to sell the ones I've been holding for the past 63 years or so. I'm an old fart now (as if you couldn't guess) :)

By selling in "team lots", I suppose that you mean selling cards of players who are all on the same team? Thanks. I was wondering what would be the best way to group them for sale.

As to selling expensive cards, I understand what you mean about the trust factor. I thought I might sell a few inexpensive cards first to build up a reputation for honesty and to show people that I'm not trying to screw anyone. I've never sold a baseball card before in my life, but I have sold a few guns and gun related items on shotgun forums. One of my hobbies is shotgun shooting (trap, skeet, and sporting clays). I'd much rather be doing that than messing with baseball cards. Typically in shotgun selling, the buyer sends a money order to the seller, then the seller sends the gun to the buyer. If a personal check is used, the seller may hold the gun for a week (or so) to make sure it's good.

BTW, I do have a couple of Ted Williams cards and several other rather expensive ones, but thought I'd hold them until I'd sold some of the less expensive ones first.

Thanks for the info.

MGiuseffi

Aug 22, 2008
I highly reccomend setting up a paypal account. You can print shipping labels directly from paypal which will add free tracking to your sales. Plus, if you choose to go the ebay/comc route, you really need it. Like others have said, grade the high grade examples. Your other choice is to sell on consignment to a big ebay seller if you have a large collection and limited time. One other option would be to find someone willing to buy most or all of the cards for a lump sum. Some guys are willing to buy in bulk if the price is right. Good luck with the sales.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
You can also link your paypal account to your bank account. That way you just transfer the money when you're ready and you don't have a credit sitting there never getting used.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Do you have a family member (that you can fully trust) that has/would set you up with a PayPal account? It would really help you get paid.

Also, is there a card store near you? Some of them sell things, in store on online, for just a small fee.

Heck, if the most valuable cards are that great or numberous, you might wanna use a reputable Auction house for selling.

Either way, Good Luck!

Charlie5354

Feb 9, 2017
Central Florida
I don't know what the requirements are for setting up a Paypal account, but I suppose I could do it if it would make it easier to sell the cards and for me to collect the money from the sale. I was just trying to keep my hassles and expenses to a minimum. I assume that Paypal would want some cut of the proceeds. Do they take a straight percentage, or does it vary with the amount? How easy and quick is it to get the money from Paypal into my bank account?

I don't have any family member who could offer assistance with Paypal, but I'm pretty sure I could figure it out if I tried. I just haven't given much thought as to whether it's worth it or not.

Oh, I haven't done anything on Ebay either. I guess I'm just an old relic or dinosaur. :)

The only card shop near me is a little dinky looking storefront that has a sign that says "Collectibles". I've never been in there and have no idea what they have, but from the appearance of the outside, it doesn't inspire much confidence. I would be very reluctant to trust them with anything of much value at all. It looks like one of those places that could be in business today and closed tomorrow.

Charlie5354

Feb 9, 2017
Central Florida
COMC....I have (had) several hundred 60's era cards sent and sold there over the years....let them do the scanning, all you have to do is sleeve them, send them and finally price them

I've looked at the COMC site a couple of times and considered them, but just wondered what was the advantage of having them scan the cards instead of me? Do they grade or price the cards?

I suppose that from the buyer's perspective, they could be more assured of receiving the card they paid for if buying it from COMC than if buying directly from an individual they don't know. But, as I understand it, it might cost me 20% to 30% or so to have them sell the cards for me. Is that correct?

Thanks

Members online