Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

You can't make this up - Ebay bidder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I had to share this exchange with a bidder on my auctions today because it was just too funny not to share:

Dear lisu,
Shield bid?

My response:
I don't understand what you're referring to - there's no shield on the bid. If you believe that I am shill bidding - that isn't the case. Thanks.

Dear lisu,
I seen how much it went for
Thanks

My response:
Looks like the high bidder just really wants the card -
I even gave him the high bidder's user name (897 feedback score: 897) 100%
Dear lisu,
I have won and bought private over 20 of these Seth jones so I can tell

My response:
There's still time left, so I don't know what you are referring to. Don't accuse people of shilling because someone else wants the card more than you do. Good luck.

Dear lisu,
Yea good luck buy ur own card

My response:
Ok, then go look at the ones that have sold for $200 with nice patches. The ones with nice patches will sell for more. Good luck in your hunt. Thank you.

I went ahead and sent him 3 auctions that sold for $200+ for the same card.

Dear lisu,
Let them have it

My response:
Good luck in your hunt, but you won't win this one, since someone else is willing to pay more. Thank you.

My response:
OK - but don't go around accusing Ebay sellers of shilling when that hasn't happened. The winner of the auction sniped at the end and won it for $157.50 - one of my regular buyers.
Good luck.

Now, this is the best response.

Dear lisu,

Bs I bid 155 already
I would be high bidder if he sniped at the end
Yea all other cards u send me are much nicer than ur of course it deserve more. Unlike u afraid of losing money so have a buddy shield ur ass

My guess is that he's so drunk that doesn't realize that $157.50 is more than $155?
:shock:

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
WTF? lol that was hilarious.

He was all hurt that he couldn't win the card for $155, and there were two legit bidders - 1 who bid $155 (so of course his bid got outbid), and then a snipe for a 8000 feedback guy at the end for it to go for $157.50. I'm guessing he probably got 20 of them for less than $100 each but with either one color patches or weak 2 color patches. lol. Anyways - like I said - I couldn't make that up!

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
He was all hurt that he couldn't win the card for $155, and there were two legit bidders - 1 who bid $155 (so of course his bid got outbid), and then a snipe for a 8000 feedback guy at the end for it to go for $157.50. I'm guessing he probably got 20 of them for less than $100 each but with either one color patches or weak 2 color patches. lol. Anyways - like I said - I couldn't make that up!

The best part was after reading it i asked myself it that was jeremy. lol

jeff_bichel

Nov 4, 2010
Houston, Texas
It just aggravates the dickens out of me when bidders call it a "shield bid". I have no idea where that all started. I believe the term to be "shill bid", an old auction term.
A shill is a false bidder, coming from tobacco auctions in North Carolina. Shield does seem to work though, in that you are trying to shield your item. Oh, well, maybe I'm all wrong and just rambling...

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
HAHAHA yep that was the only thing missing, the purple drank

Grip and sip ******
0.jpg

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
Classic. I got one the other day on some Harley-Davidson leather bags I was selling. Get a message saying she's a single mom, and wants to buy both bags and would I cut her deal. Said if you win both I'll combine shipping costs and throw something else in for free. Bids on both items (the min), and doesn't win either. Get another message asking for $$ since she "bid it up for me". So instead of each of the bags going for $59.99 and $69.99, they went for $61.01, and $71.01......wow, thanks!

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
It just aggravates the dickens out of me when bidders call it a "shield bid". I have no idea where that all started. I believe the term to be "shill bid", an old auction term.
A shill is a false bidder, coming from tobacco auctions in North Carolina. Shield does seem to work though, in that you are trying to shield your item. Oh, well, maybe I'm all wrong and just rambling...

Eggcorn

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggcorn

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Great exchange. It irritates me more and more dealing with people who can't type or spell or speak intelligently but yet they have the nerve to come at someone like you in that way LOL.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois

Seems when I type shill in using phone it kept changing it to shield until I saved the word shill.
[MENTION=2110]lisu[/MENTION] post up the jackwagons user name so I can block them. Because this has happened to me before and this is one of the reason to get on my blocked list

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011

Thank you sheldon cooper.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
You have more patience than me. After I had figured out what shield bid meant I would have blocked him.

I did block him after I realized what shield bid meant, but I just wanted to see why he thought I would bid up a $150 card - seems kind of pointless if you ask me. ;)

Members online

Latest posts