Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jeff Samardzija agrees to 5-year, $90M deal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Although they had to do something, I've never understood why this guy has been in demand. He has had enough time to show what he can do and I think that's a .500 %/4+ era guy. Can't see $18mil a year in that, but we see what those who have accomplished things bring.

Ryan

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
Although they had to do something, I've never understood why this guy has been in demand. He has had enough time to show what he can do and I think that's a .500 %/4+ era guy. Can't see $18mil a year in that, but we see what those who have accomplished things bring.

Ryan
The average MLB starting pitcher earns $14m per year and samardzjia has good stuff and has had success in pitchers ball parks. He also has low mileage on his arm due to becoming an sp in 2012. He's got the IP of a 27/28 year old. This is a high risk high reward signing for the Giants for sure. I'd rather have him than cueto.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
The average MLB starting pitcher earns $14m per year and samardzjia has good stuff and has had success in pitchers ball parks. He also has low mileage on his arm due to becoming an sp in 2012. He's got the IP of a 27/28 year old. This is a high risk high reward signing for the Giants for sure. I'd rather have him than cueto.

I get the average pitcher value , I personally don't consider him more than average. Not that I want him to fail , but I've never been impressed.

Ryan

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
He's got that Cain thing going where his peripherals are better than his rate stats.

sbib

Aug 17, 2008
I know they are reacting to the Greinke signing, but 5 years and $18M per may come back to bite them at the back end - I hope he pitches like an $18M man for at least a few years

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Nope. Quite a few of their starting pitchers came up thru the minor leagues! Best regards, David

Quite a few of their Minor Leaguers who were supposed to be "stars" , turned out to be fairy dust. It's always hard to count on prospects once in the bigs. I'm not saying the cost on ZG is "worth it", but it beats hoping someone else does something for cheaper IMO.

Ryan

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Should have kepted their pick and trusted that one of their pitching prospects in AAA or AA would rise to MLB. Best regards, David

+1

Pitchers with more hype than results put me off. Waste of money (and draft pick) imo. There are plenty of cheaper pick ups that can provide average results.

Members online