Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Sportlots still relevant?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Is it worth it to list cards for sale on Sportlots? I have bought some cards there a few times with good experiences. Mostly low end base I need to fill sets. What do the fees look like there as a seller? Would love to move a bunch of cards I just have sitting around.

Fees are astronomically high if you do minimal sales.

If I'm not mistaken, you don't get under 30% fees unless you sell $50 per month, and not under 20% fees until you get to $300 per month.

Only way around some of that is if you move higher $ items on there, of which it then gets a tiered fee attached

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Fees are astronomically high if you do minimal sales.

true, it's a high percentage for minmal sales, but I like it for trying to move my PC duplicates and unwanted inserts - they can sit in my inventory with no monthly fees and I break even or make very minimal money on my sales after the fees which is good in that i'm not losing money trying to send them to other collectors.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Funny that this was bumped recently. I've pulled all inventory off and won't sell on there again. was just not worth all the time/trouble.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
Hmm.. I was going through the huge hassle of adding 1000s of unsorted singles.. Only have about 450 do far but now I'm not so sure it's worth it.

Really? 30%? Wow.. Might be better letting a flat rate box go on eBay for $20 or $30..

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Funny that this was bumped recently. I've pulled all inventory off and won't sell on there again. was just not worth all the time/trouble.

thank you! Less competition for me.

As long as I breakeven on the transaction, I'm good as it's just trying to put cards I don't need into other collector's homes.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
I sell a bunch of commons there - I've always been pretty OCD about keeping my cards sorted and in order, so it was always easy to list there. It was a lot more lucrative when I started 9 years ago. Now many cards are listed at the .18 minimum.

The cards I have there might get $10 a box at s flea market, but generally there isn't much market for them in bulk and they don't have much demand on eBay.

Some of what I have listed would work on COMC, I've just never bothered to send it to them.

If you have a card that has value on eBay or COMC, then sportlots is not great, particularly if you have to move it.

But there are no listing fees and you can keep stuff there. I have some old odd sets that have little value, but I broke them up and listed them on sportlots and got something out of them.

WESTLAKE

Jan 11, 2015
I list all my cards on Sportlots

It's one of those things you have to be all in on. I started almost 4 years ago did $25.00 or so. $50.00 the next month, then into the hundreds.

The best part for me is no listing fees. I'm more then happy to pay commission on what I actually sell.

I range from near mint early 70's singles to late 00 inserts.All baseball

315,000 cards listed 150,000 different cards.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I'm at the point now where my collection is almost completely self-sustaining, thanks to Sportlots. Almost all the money I spend on cards in a month comes from the previous month's sales, which averages $250 a month. It'll never be the ideal place to sell high dollar cards, but I have sold several $10-$30 singles, so it can happen. As long as there are team collectors, player collectors, and set collectors, Sportlots will be a big part of the hobby.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I love Sportlots. I don't sell cards there but have bought hundreds of Thome cards there. Prices and shipping prices are very good. I have only run into 1 bad seller there and Sportlots zapped him really quick. I have bought quite a few Thome cards from WESTLAKE and he is a really good seller.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
thank you! Less competition for me.

This does get to one "problem" with selling on sportlots - there are a lot more sellers and a lot more cards than there once were. I've been selling there for 9 yrs +. When I started I could list and sell almost all Chrome cards at .25 and up and many base stars at something over the minimum. Heritage SPs we're routinely listed and sold at $5 each. These days most new base cards (chrome or not, stars or not) get .18 and heritage SPs are in the $2-2.50 range.

There are routinely case breakers listing large quantities of base cards at .18 (I assume to just get them out of the way for some cash). It still works for me, but it isn;t what it was back from 2006-2009.

Rabs

Jan 25, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL
I'm at the point now where my collection is almost completely self-sustaining, thanks to Sportlots. Almost all the money I spend on cards in a month comes from the previous month's sales, which averages $250 a month. It'll never be the ideal place to sell high dollar cards, but I have sold several $10-$30 singles, so it can happen. As long as there are team collectors, player collectors, and set collectors, Sportlots will be a big part of the hobby.

As a buyer I have found some cards on Sportlots that I have never seen on eBay or COMC. I picked up a rare Craig Kimbrel Topps Tier One parallel auto with a best offer on there for a good deal, along with other PC cards I hadn't seen anywhere else.

Members online