Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards I wanted as a kid but only got as an adult

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
Went through a card collecting hiatus for a while due to a job/disposable income change.
Recently started dabbling again. For some reason I've gravitated towards some nostalgia cards.

I always wanted to pull one of these elites as a kid. I dreamed of it. I don't think I ever even saw one as a kid, not even at the LCS.
I had fun picking out some Hall of Famers and stars to get at least 1 example of the years I wanted.

Similar to the elites, 1993 finest was awesome, but I never even had the chance at a single pack. I always wanted a refractor from this set as a kid, but it took until my adult years to get one. Not HoFers as those are crazy expensive, but some good players. I really wanted a base refractor and an all-star as well. I'm pretty happy with these.

Let's see some of your nostalgia pickups...

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
mine would be 1984 donruss factory set. Because of its reputation, it was way too expensive for me on a lawnmowing income but once I got my first job plus the usage of the internet for commerce made it easier and less expensive to pick it up for the PC.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Mantles were always out of my price range for the most part when I was a kid. I did have copies of the Bombers Best and World Series Batting Foes cards, because those multi player cards weren't worth much early on. It's a great feeling to pick up cards I never thought I'd have as a kid. Added a couple since this pic, but here's my start:

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1462569261.924814.jpg

Last edited:

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
Mantles were always out of my price range for the most part when I was a kid. I did have copies of the Bombers Best and World Series Batting Foes cards, because those multi player cards weren't worth much early on. It's a great feeling to pick up cards I never thought I'd have as a kid. Added a couple since this pic, but here's my start:

View attachment 62031

Just a start huh? That's quote impressive in my opinion. Nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
those are great. Elites are on my list of sets I want. I remember opening so many 93 donruss packs hoping to hit an elite. never did though. :(

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I have considered making some of the Elite sets several times. I have pulled two of them over the years both from 1991 Donruss.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Nice cards!
I can’t think of any baseball cards that I wanted as a kid that I don’t have by now (I was a “kid” in the 70’s and never had much interest in collecting guys that I never saw play).
I did however pick up 2 “nostalgia” cards this past month that I’ve wanted for a long time:

2001 Topps Fusion
Peavy_zpsfurjo7x5.jpg

1994 Sportflics R/T
ARodStarflics_zpsqyw8qaop.jpg

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
Aside from the Elites and '93 refractors, huge cards back in the day (my uncle went through 2 cases of 92 donruss and nothing...my aunt buys a pack for him at the checkout and hit the griffey), I always wanted the nnof thomas. I had seen it listed in the beckett as a kid for what seemed like a lot at the time but had never seen one. I finally got a lower psa graded one a while back. Also, living in northern texas as a kid in the early 90s during the height of nolan ryan made getting his rc a must later on in life.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I bought a ton of close out boxes of that stuff at KMart in 1994-5. I built all the insert sets while looking for the Arod rookies and hoping for the AP as well (never got one) and this was the last card I needed. He got hot and the prices rose to $100+ levels. I finally completed the set maybe a year ago by buying this card for what I felt was a reasonable price ($25 or less). I don't know where they sit now, maybe less.

Nice cards!
I can’t think of any baseball cards that I wanted as a kid that I don’t have by now (I was a “kid” in the 70’s and never had much interest in collecting guys that I never saw play).
I did however pick up 2 “nostalgia” cards this past month that I’ve wanted for a long time:

2001 Topps Fusion
Peavy_zpsfurjo7x5.jpg

1994 Sportflics R/T
ARodStarflics_zpsqyw8qaop.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts