Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Trying to understand billy beane "Moneyball"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I think he's lost his mind

I tried to understand the donaldson trade & I can kinda agree with the 3 for 1 for the better of the teams future. But now trading moss an all star of/1b for a prospect not even ranked in the top 100, then trading the shark for 3 mediocre prospects. If you want to trade the shark why not wait until a team is desperate for a starting pitcher in the middle of a pennant race??? Just makes no sense. Worse part we basically lose addison Russell for nothing now

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
I wonder if there is some plan to try to fund a new stadium/move. Not that it is good seeing this team changing so much, and I agree it is tough trying to see what he is doing for the good.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I found this to be interesting and it is being discussed in here too

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...ite-Sox-For-Semien-Bassitt-Phegley-amp-Ravelo

Said the same thing in 2012 when they sold off their entire pitching rotation. They won the AL West that year.

Every preseason fans are scratching their heads and screaming "he's an idiot, what is he doing, we have no chance". Every year he refuses to make the obvious moves. Every year the A's are competitive with a lineup that makes no sense. Every year, half way through the year the same people calling him an idiot are chanting "in Beane we trust". Every year Beane puts together a team that is so much fun to watch. Every. Year.

Do I get these moves? Nope! Does he? Yup, and that's all that matters. He has a plan and because of his plans the A's have been one of the most consistently successful teams since Beane has come along. He knows what he's doing. He is infuriatingly brilliant, the only obnoxious facet of this at the point are the fans pretending like they didn't see this coming. I don't get by now why people won't just let it play out and see where he goes with it.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I wonder if there is some plan to try to fund a new stadium/move. Not that it is good seeing this team changing so much, and I agree it is tough trying to see what he is doing for the good.

If it wasn't for the Giants they'd be in San Jose so maybe. That has gotta be the worst stadium in sports.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I get the rebuilding & adding youth plus we only had shark for one year. It's the Moss one that has me the most upset. Still think we could have got more value for shark too

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Ownership may have told him too.

I think he's lost his mind

I tried to understand the donaldson trade & I can kinda agree with the 3 for 1 for the better of the teams future. But now trading moss an all star of/1b for a prospect not even ranked in the top 100, then trading the shark for 3 mediocre prospects. If you want to trade the shark why not wait until a team is desperate for a starting pitcher in the middle of a pennant race??? Just makes no sense. Worse part we basically lose addison Russell for nothing now

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I don't understand any of these moves at all. Mabye someday.

Plus, Billy Beane's silence and lack of any communication with the fanbase doesn't help either.

I'm not Local to Oaktown, but I try and stay in touch with the local media and I don't see much from Beane recently and not usually at all...

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Beane is considered a genius, but his teams have won the Western Division title only 6 times in his 18 years as GM, and the A's haven't been to the World Series in a quarter-century.

Sure his teams do well (in the regular season) for having a small payroll, but I think manager Bob Melvin and previous A's managers are much more responsible for getting so much out of the young players.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Yeah, I feel bad for Melvin. I will get to see what Moneyball is about when the Triple A A's come to Nashville next year, in a brand new stadium, lol.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Gregorson gone too as FA.

He bombed as Doolitte's replacement but was real steady as a set-up man. Went to Astros.

And Callapso to Braves too...

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
Anybody still supporting beane is simply not paying attention. Beane is an egomaniacal control freak who is hell bent on proving that he is smarter than everyone in the room. I don't know how anyone can still be a fan of the A's. You finally get a nice young core that you could control for a few seasons and you trade it away? He's so determined to prove the doubters wrong that he went 'all-in' for two months and mortgaged the future franchise SS. The Donaldson trade was all ego and the moss and samardzjia deals were heads scratchers at best. The A's are always good May-August, but when the real contenders start their push at the end of the season the A's are always sputtering out with momentum going against them. I just don't believe that you can win big the way beane designs teams. You just can't always catch lightening in a bottle with AAAA guys in their prime years. It's embarrassing really and ultimately bad for baseball. Fans need continuity, you do need a face of the franchise, unfortunately the face of the A's franchise is the GM.

These moves are not new. They are the ways of the Oakland A's.

Trade away Mark McGwire
Let Tejada Walk
Let Giambi Walk
Let Hudson, Mulder & Zito walk
Trade away Carlos Gonzalez
Trade for Matt Holiday then let him walk
Trade Cespedes
Let Lester walk (never expected him to sign)

Do you get the point?

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal

Trade away Mark McGwire
Let Tejada Walk
Let Giambi Walk
Trade Cespedes

Do you get the point?

Nobody ever said they were new, just don't understand some of these ones.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008

Trade away Mark McGwire
Let Tejada Walk
Let Giambi Walk
Trade Cespedes

Do you get the point?

Don't forget all the closers, Beane loves trading closers!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts