Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PROMOS/SAMPLES/PREVIEWS/PROTOTYPES/PRE-PRODUCTIONS/TESTS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
BTW @K34PuckettAddict your cards look awesome! Do you know if other players exist in the versions you have?

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I'm pretty sure an actual Ozzie Smith was released as well. I haven't seen enough of these to truly form a good opinion on them though. I've never had any of any player. But seeing those proofs that are currently listed makes it a lot more likely that other final production cards/players were made. I guess I wish I had stumbled upon the sheet for $25 seeing the asking prices of the cards cut from it. I don't think the uncut proof cards are worth quite that much, but they still are pretty cool. Now I really want to know where more of the final production cards are.

Last edited:

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
Thanks [MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION]. I've only ever seen 2 Nolan Ryan's listed for sale on eBay once or twice while I was looking for the Puckett's. With the exception of the three Josh has, the other Puckett's that sold on eBay have all sold for at least $350 or better. I had to pay $400 each for the last two that that I needed. Given the fact that these were supposed to be destroyed, it's entirely possible the other players never made their way out to the public. Since it took me forever to find my Puckett's and I had to pay around a grand for my four standards, I woulda ended a pair of those blankback/fronts the moment I saw them. He's keeping the Puckett's even though I offered the same price he's asking for the Ryan's.

You can tell by the backs of my four that they had to be at the last stage of getting that MLB license since they included it on the backs.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Just bought in a collection recently.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 10001.jpg
    10001.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 10004.jpg
    10004.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 161

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Thanks @mouschi. I've only ever seen 2 Nolan Ryan's listed for sale on eBay once or twice while I was looking for the Puckett's. With the exception of the three Josh has, the other Puckett's that sold on eBay have all sold for at least $350 or better. I had to pay $400 each for the last two that that I needed. Given the fact that these were supposed to be destroyed, it's entirely possible the other players never made their way out to the public. Since it took me forever to find my Puckett's and I had to pay around a grand for my four standards, I woulda ended a pair of those blankback/fronts the moment I saw them. He's keeping the Puckett's even though I offered the same price he's asking for the Ryan's.

You can tell by the backs of my four that they had to be at the last stage of getting that MLB license since they included it on the backs.

Very cool! To me, this is where history is EVERYTHING. Without being on checklists, some of the other cards are probably not going to be worth much more than Broder cards to player collectors. The fact that Puckett, Ryan & maybe some others have been chased for decades, and have other rare versions of the card available & in collections is where the big value is. I'd like to get the Cansecos, but at $425 for the pair & having condition issues ... I'll have to pass unless a drastic price reduction happens...which I hope it does!

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
[MENTION=4788]Kennesawsportscards[/MENTION], that's an awesome Puckett Promo, it was another one that took me forever to find.

Jan 14, 2015
New Jersey
I know there are Mattingly and Nolan Ryan's out there for sure. I have 3 of the 4 Puckett's.

I have two different Mattingly ones but that's all that I have ever seen. The prototypes are neat looking cards but, in my opinion, way overpriced for what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
Did anyone see their player available from those 1992 Ace Novelty Prototype blank back/fronts listed on eBay recently?

I had no idea there were that many players available and wonder if standard issue versions of their cards even exist? Does anyone have the standard issue of their guy? I was fortunate to find the four different Puckett's, but it took me until 2011 to finally find them all.

From what I know about that standard versions, Ace Novelty who used to make those crazy haired Troll dolls from the late 80's and early 90's along with other tchotchkes petitioned MLB for a license to sell cards. Why not, everyone seemed to be making them back then... I heard they made it pretty far in the process with the prototypes they created. They presented to MLB, but were denied the license and were supposed to destroy the cards. Fortunately, some of them made it out at some point in the production or after they were denied the license.

I used to see the 4 Puckett cards on want lists that I found over the years and couldn't find any pictures or information about them. I eventually found them all for my own personal collection. I managed to buy one from eBay in the late 90's and added the other three through offline deals from big time Puckett collectors who sold off their collections.

What blows my mind are these cards are prototypes at their very core, and these blank back/fronts may very well be pre-production prototypes and at the very least unfinished prototypes. They're super cool if you ask me, but then again I chased the standard Puckett's for years. I'd wager given the circumstances surrounding these cards, they'd have to be among the rarest cards of the early 90's. I wish he had Puckett's available for sale!

Clarkfan, do you have any knowledge about them? I've always been fascinated with these cards and would love to hear anything else about them or see more pictures of them.

Here's a picture of my four.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Do you know if there was a Thomas?

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
Have any of you guys seen the 1995 Score sample cards with the word SAMPLE in black letters rather than the white letters?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I believe PSA handed out these SAMPLE cards at various Nationals and Conventions. I had several at different times.

Yes , I believe that's true now that you brought it up. I am not home value a collector would put on them, but if there was a Clark if prob want it.

Ryan

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
According to the SCD both white and black sample cards were issued with the black in a lesser quantity.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts