Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about shipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roundtree34

Aug 9, 2008
I just had a person win 18 auctions I had on eBay, I charge $3.25 for the first item won then 0.50 for each lot won on the same day. At $8.00 shipping charges stop.His total was $11.75. So I sent invoice for $8.00. I get a email from him as follows "is shipping really $8.00"? my reply was " as stated in description shipping charges are $3.25 then $0.50 for each additional lot win with a cap of $8.00", "cards will be sent in a small flat rate box"

My work hours prohibit me from going to the post office when they are open, that's why the flat rate box, I can print labels from work or home.

My question is, is this to much? Other ways to ship?

Am I wrong? Charging to much?

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Whether you're charging too much or not, you're charging the rate stated in the auction. The buyer agreed to this rate when they bid.

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Sounds like you made it clear what the shipping would be. A small flate rate box would be $6.80, so really charging $8 isn't an overcharge by much at all.

Something to think about. I used to charge shipping and trying to combine shipping in instances like these can be tough. I've just started offering free shipping on cards and just start them out $3 higher to factor shipping into each auction.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
You're charging too much, regardless of what you stated. Your star ratings will get dinged if you stick him for the full price.

Does it cost you $.50/card extra to ship? If the answer is no, then you're charging too much.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Regardless of if you're charging too much, we're splitting hairs. $6 sounds about right for the 18 cards maybe $8 is slightly high but the buyer agreed to the terms when he bid on the auction, if he had any issues he should have contacted you beforehand.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I think that's about right. $8 cap for flat rate shipping that costs $6 isn't crazy. Other option would be maybe charge him $5-6 but 1st class shipping.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
If u state the cost and he/she bids then I can't see how they complain. I try to always read shipping policies before buying, if I miss something like that, that's on me. Buyer should have contacted u first if they thought shipping was too high

tenballer

Aug 9, 2014
Don't forget that sleeves, top loaders, team bags, etc. cost money too. Not to mention the shipping labels. I don't think you are out of line at $8. I had a buyer question my shipping charges once so I did a cost analysis...I should have been charging more. Like swish says, I went to free shipping and charged more. Can't make everyone happy.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
At least you combine. Some sellers don't. Which is ok. Except they think they should be able to send the cards in the same bubble mailer and then pocket my extra $3. Just a heads up, I will leave appropriate feedback for that.

But an extra $0.50 is no sweat. I'll pay that.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Don't forget that sleeves, top loaders, team bags, etc. cost money too. Not to mention the shipping labels. I don't think you are out of line at $8. I had a buyer question my shipping charges once so I did a cost analysis...I should have been charging more. Like swish says, I went to free shipping and charged more. Can't make everyone happy.

I agree here. I think you are perfectly fine charging that, especially if its going small flat rate.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I think many people are missing the point, he clearly stated how he charges for shipping. I don't buy if I think shipping is too much. If he correctly described shipping charges then there's nothing to complain about

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I mean I really don't care but just because it's "clearly stated" doesn't mean $8 to ship some cards isn't too much.

I, too, offer free shipping and simply add a few bucks to my starting price. Small bubble mailer, print the label and stick it in the box. Cheap, fast and easy.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I mean I really don't care but just because it's "clearly stated" doesn't mean $8 to ship some cards isn't too much.

I, too, offer free shipping and simply add a few bucks to my starting price. Small bubble mailer, print the label and stick it in the box. Cheap, fast and easy.

I get u, that's how I sell too. I just don't think the buyer can gripe, I don't buy when I think shipping is too much

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
What was the total value of the 18 cards?
To me, that would determine if I would ship via first class vs priority. With priority I get insurance included, therefore I may choose to ship that way to protect the buyer and myself against loss and/or damage.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I get u, that's how I sell too. I just don't think the buyer can gripe, I don't buy when I think shipping is too much

Agreed.

To me the debate over how the seller is shipping and how much he's charging isn't the primary issue. The bottom line is that by bidding on an auction a buyer agrees to the terms of the auction. You can't win an auction and then take issue with what you agreed to pay.

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
If it's 18 singles, then you could send them in a bubble mailer, first class with tracking, for probably $4 or less with good protection. To me though, I read it as 18 LOTS, not singles and therefore if you're talking, say, 30+ cards or mixture of slabs/cards or something like that where weight is considerably more, then maybe the flat rate box is the way to go.

Members online

Latest posts