Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Braves Signed Baseball Project - Opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamaroDMD

Jun 18, 2013
OK, so I really like signed ROMLBs and have been thinking about starting a project of some kind. Originally, I just wanted to get a big display case and fill it with random HOFs and famous players. But, that is a really daunting task and something that I'm not really up for the challenge at this time. What I have decided I would rather do is a small set for my favorite team...the Braves.

I have discovered that you can buy a home plate shaped wall display cases that hold 12 baseballs and I think that would be perfect for this particular project. The cases appear to be very esthetically pleasing and they filter out 98% of the UV light so the balls should be fairly safe. I was thinking of a case like this:

Now comes the planning part where I would like some input. I have been thinking about 2 ways to do this. One would simply be to find 12 signed balls. The other would be 11 signed balls and one logo ball. I was thinking the bottom holder, where only a single ball goes would be a great place for a non-signed Rawlings Braves logo baseball. I know they are cheap plastic skinned balls...but it would add a nice visual that it is a Braves set. What do you think...12 signed or 11 signed and one logo?

I also need to come up with the players for the set...and here I would like some opinions. I want the set to represent the great players throughout Braves history. When you think of the Braves...I want the players here to be the players that come to mind as their best. For example, Babe Ruth played for the Braves for one ugly season...I don't think he would be a good fit because although he was a great player, he wasn't with the Braves. I thought the best place to start would be with the Braves' retired numbers (not including Jackie Robinson).

The retired numbers players are:
John Smoltz
Bobby Cox
Dale Murphy
Warren Spahn
Greg Maddux
Phil Niekro
Eddie Mathews
Hank Aaron
Tom Glavine
Chipper Jones

With the retired numbers, there are already 10 players. If I decide to go the logo ball route...I would only need 1 more.

A few other players come to mind that could be that 11th player (and 12th if no logo ball was used). Other players I have been considering are:

David Justice (3x all-star, '90 NL ROY, as a child my favorite player and the guy who hit the 1995 WS winning home run)
Andruw Jones (5x all-star, 10x gold glove)
Terry Pendleton ('91 NL MVP)

Of course, there might be a player or two I have failed to consider...especially older players. I would love to hear some opinions.

CamaroDMD

Jun 18, 2013
would you do a current player?
Brian McCann or Andruw Jones.
I'm considering Andruw Jones...but he isn't really a "current player" IMHO as I believe he's playing in Japan and his legacy as an all-time Braves great is pretty secured. As for players currently on the Braves roster...I don't think anyone has yet defined themselves as a long term great Braves player...since they are all pretty young. Kimbrel might one day if he sticks around.

ATLSports

May 11, 2013
McCann is a 6x AS but he will most likely be gone after this year. I think Kimbrel would be a great bet too.

CamaroDMD

Jun 18, 2013
McCann is a 6x AS but he will most likely be gone after this year. I think Kimbrel would be a great bet too.
I know McCann has had a good career...but he has only been there since 2005 and like you said, could very well be gone after this year. If he is still a Brave in 5 years and has played in 10 AS games then I think he would be perfect. But, at this point...with so much baseball potentially left for him to play, will he be remembered as a Brave when he retires (or as something else, like a Yankee)?

OK, so I really like signed ROMLBs and have been thinking about starting a project of some kind. Originally, I just wanted to get a big display case and fill it with random HOFs and famous players. But, that is a really daunting task and something that I'm not really up for the challenge at this time. What I have decided I would rather do is a small set for my favorite team...the Braves.

I have discovered that you can buy a home plate shaped wall display cases that hold 12 baseballs and I think that would be perfect for this particular project. The cases appear to be very esthetically pleasing and they filter out 98% of the UV light so the balls should be fairly safe. I was thinking of a case like this:

Now comes the planning part where I would like some input. I have been thinking about 2 ways to do this. One would simply be to find 12 signed balls. The other would be 11 signed balls and one logo ball. I was thinking the bottom holder, where only a single ball goes would be a great place for a non-signed Rawlings Braves logo baseball. I know they are cheap plastic skinned balls...but it would add a nice visual that it is a Braves set. What do you think...12 signed or 11 signed and one logo?

I also need to come up with the players for the set...and here I would like some opinions. I want the set to represent the great players throughout Braves history. When you think of the Braves...I want the players here to be the players that come to mind as their best. For example, Babe Ruth played for the Braves for one ugly season...I don't think he would be a good fit because although he was a great player, he wasn't with the Braves. I thought the best place to start would be with the Braves' retired numbers (not including Jackie Robinson).

The retired numbers players are:
John Smoltz
Bobby Cox
Dale Murphy
Warren Spahn
Greg Maddux
Phil Niekro
Eddie Mathews
Hank Aaron
Tom Glavine
Chipper Jones

With the retired numbers, there are already 10 players. If I decide to go the logo ball route...I would only need 1 more.

A few other players come to mind that could be that 11th player (and 12th if no logo ball was used). Other players I have been considering are:

David Justice (3x all-star, '90 NL ROY, as a child my favorite player and the guy who hit the 1995 WS winning home run)
Andruw Jones (5x all-star, 10x gold glove)
Terry Pendleton ('91 NL MVP)

Of course, there might be a player or two I have failed to consider...especially older players. I would love to hear some opinions.

Hugh Duffy
Fred Tenney
Javy Lopez

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
My list would be Niekro, Aaron, Matthews, C. Jones, Spahn, Smoltz, Maddux, Glavine, MCCann, Murphy, A.Jones, and David Justice. That covers the HOFers and potential HOFers and the only two über ATL prospects in Justice and A.Jones.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'd do Justice n Andruw and do the Cox ball as the bottom ball instead of the Braves Logo maybe..??? Or the logo ball no Bobby C ball ? Stick w players

Ryan

Members online