Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone had this problem on Ebay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
Sold some Bowman Chrome Autos. Buyer with 3500+ feedback receives cards, says two of three are "perfect". Wants me to exchange the one for a better centered card because they are a "grader and buy to grade and resell". I replied back to make sure if that's what they meant since they weren't too clear. Sure enough that's what they want with more of this "sure you know I am a former grader buy to grade and resell". Not sure why I would know that, they mentioned having a booth at Frank & Sons before(must be popular there). Scans of the actual card were used in the auction.

Reminds me of an old member here that wanted me to check centering and corners with a loupe for them while offering below raw prices. Trying really hard not to sound offensive with my response. They haven't left feedback, I'm prepared to accept the return for one or all the cards and block. Just curious what members have done or would do if this happened. Or does someone here know this person?

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
Unless a seller has multiple negative feedback and/or a low feedback score, I don't read much into it - especially if you respond back to the negative rating. Just, block him and list something really nice.

If negative feedback is left, let us know the ebayer's ID so I can add him to my blocked list.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
It's been a while but i had a similar experience. I take pictures of the card, send that exact card and the buyer wants to return it because he says it won't grade a 9.5. After back and forth i just accept it even though it irritated me. I think we all know by now that ebay is gonna side with the buyer already

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
If you listed as Nrmt-Mt and put good scans there really shouldn't be an issue with what kind of condition they're in. They should know what they are getting.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
I walked away from a deal recently, because the third time he asked about condition I realized I couldn't make it work. Antything that didn't come back PSA10 or BGS 9.5 was gonna get returned anyway. And like above he was wanting this level of scrutiny for below eBay raw price.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
They decided to keep the card. Gave me a positive for two cards last night then for the other card this morning. Still blocking, don't want to risk them winning a larger lot then returning what they think won't grade a gem. Also, they have a California address but a Virginia phone number?

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
They decided to keep the card. Gave me a positive for two cards last night then for the other card this morning. Still blocking, don't want to risk them winning a larger lot then returning what they think won't grade a gem. Also, they have a California address but a Virginia phone number?
My wife kept her texas area code. I think just to annoy me

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Since you include the option to accept returns it's pretty much a requirement to do so if someone asks for one, regardless the situation.

I've run across similar problems recently with a buyer telling me the card wasn't mint so he wanted a return. I list my cards as NrMt to Mint Condition (if there is a specific flaw I will mention it) so even if it wasn't Mint it would still fit my description. Despite this I accepted the return because if I had said no he would just open a case mentioning card not as described, e-bay would side with him (e-bay always sides with the buyer) and I'd be forced to issue a refund.

A couple weeks ago a buyer told me the SERIAL #d Jack Lamb refractor auto I sold him was damaged and he sent some blurry pictures of the corners where it was scratched up. I could have sworn it was in great condition before I sent it out but I knew that I had to refund him regardless. Once I got the card back I decided to inspect it before issuing the refund and turns out it wasn't even the same one I sold him, the frigging serial # was different! Of course I open a dispute and send e-bay both pictures of the card I sold him and the one I actually got back, including the serial # on the back. Less than 12 hours later I receive this response from e-bay:

We reviewed this case and decided to issue the buyer a full refund.
We understand that you received your item in a different condition than when you shipped it, but unfortunately we couldn't determine that this was caused by the buyer, or that this was something in the buyer's control.
A refund of US $62.70 was issued on Jul 6, 2017 to the buyer. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping.

WTF? You kidding me? So now I know e-bay will always side with the buyer and if you include the option to accept returns, you best bet if someone requests one, you are going to have to give one.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
I have a question. I've always been under the assumption that I have to include the option to accept returns with my auctions but I can't remember why. Is it a requirement if you have an e-bay store? Or if you want to qualify for top rated status and get the discounts?

I'd like to know because I'd very much like to remove this option with my Bowman Chrome sales but only if there are no repercussions to my status/discounts.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
I have a question. I've always been under the assumption that I have to include the option to accept returns with my auctions but I can't remember why. Is it a requirement if you have an e-bay store? Or if you want to qualify for top rated status and get the discounts?

I'd like to know because I'd very much like to remove this option with my Bowman Chrome sales but only if there are no repercussions to my status/discounts.

30-day return window is a requirement for top-rated status.....i had it for years until i fell below the item-count threshold following my fire and fortunately i never had any issues with any returns.... under ebay's current rules , even if you do not offer returns , any buyer may still get their money back for almost any item they complain about under the guise of "ebay's buyer protection"....that said , i have had ebay side with me in every dispute i've ever been involved with both as a buyer or seller (knock on wood)....

as for your situation with the serially numbered card - did you try calling ebay directly after the "resolution" against you ? it may take a phone call or two and several requests to speak to level upon level of supervisors , but from my personal experience you SHOULD be able to get that decision overturned....

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009

I think you need a 30 day return policy to get the now 10% off final value fees. I lowered it to 7 or 14 days for cards so it doesn't apply, market can change quickly and 30 days is too long. Even if you put down that you don't accept returns they can still open a dispute if they claim it's damaged or not what they ordered.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
30-day return window is a requirement for top-rated status.....i had it for years until i fell below the item-count threshold following my fire and fortunately i never had any issues with any returns.... under ebay's current rules , even if you do not offer returns , any buyer may still get their money back for almost any item they complain about under the guise of "ebay's buyer protection"....that said , i have had ebay side with me in every dispute i've ever been involved with both as a buyer or seller (knock on wood)....

as for your situation with the serially numbered card - did you try calling ebay directly after the "resolution" against you ? it may take a phone call or two and several requests to speak to level upon level of supervisors , but from my personal experience you SHOULD be able to get that decision overturned....

I think you need a 30 day return policy to get the now 10% off final value fees. I lowered it to 7 or 14 days for cards so it doesn't apply, market can change quickly and 30 days is too long. Even if you put down that you don't accept returns they can still open a dispute if they claim it's damaged or not what they ordered.

Thank you for letting me know. Apparently I've had it 14 days for a long time now so I guess I haven't been receiving the 10% Final Value Fee (or top rated status) anyway. I figured they could just open a dispute even if you didn't offer returns.

And to answer your question game****, no I didn't call e-bay after the resolution, in fact I didn't even think of that as an option. As per my recent situation, I've just decided to let it go. I was very angry at the time and not because the money, $60 was no skin off my back, it was the fact of the matter that I was scammed and I don't think anyone likes that feeling but it's nice to know that calling is an option in case anything else arises. This is the only time anything like this has happened where I've been forced to open a dispute against a buyer so hopefully I won't need to worry about it again.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Since you include the option to accept returns it's pretty much a requirement to do so if someone asks for one, regardless the situation.

I've run across similar problems recently with a buyer telling me the card wasn't mint so he wanted a return. I list my cards as NrMt to Mint Condition (if there is a specific flaw I will mention it) so even if it wasn't Mint it would still fit my description. Despite this I accepted the return because if I had said no he would just open a case mentioning card not as described, e-bay would side with him (e-bay always sides with the buyer) and I'd be forced to issue a refund.

A couple weeks ago a buyer told me the SERIAL #d Jack Lamb refractor auto I sold him was damaged and he sent some blurry pictures of the corners where it was scratched up. I could have sworn it was in great condition before I sent it out but I knew that I had to refund him regardless. Once I got the card back I decided to inspect it before issuing the refund and turns out it wasn't even the same one I sold him, the frigging serial # was different! Of course I open a dispute and send e-bay both pictures of the card I sold him and the one I actually got back, including the serial # on the back. Less than 12 hours later I receive this response from e-bay:

We reviewed this case and decided to issue the buyer a full refund.
We understand that you received your item in a different condition than when you shipped it, but unfortunately we couldn't determine that this was caused by the buyer, or that this was something in the buyer's control.
A refund of US $62.70 was issued on Jul 6, 2017 to the buyer. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping.

WTF? You kidding me? So now I know e-bay will always side with the buyer and if you include the option to accept returns, you best bet if someone requests one, you are going to have to give one.

You have to let us know who this buyer is. Even if I don't sell on a regular basis, this scammer might be selling and I don't want to buy anything from a scammer.

Members online