Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Did you sell your Trout too soon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I don't want to be the one holding this card at this price in 10 years.

Selling early isn't as bad as buying late IMO.

Ryan

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Imagine the sick feeling someone would have seeing this sale if they had once owned an Orange, or a RED, and sold early. Oh my GOD that would hurt.

I know someone who hit an orange 09BDP auto of Trout and sold it for under $900 back in 2011 or early 2012.

I remember posting a couple Trout autos I had for sale and getting trolled by various members because I wanted $75 for one and $150 for the other. About one month after that FS thread and sale, the $75 card was going for over $500 and the $150 card sold for $1148 on ebay-- my exact card, flipped. I believe that $150 card last sold in the ballpark of $2500 last summer (xfrac auto bgs 9.5/10).

I imagine these type of sales hurt most are those people who missed out on picking nice Trout autos up because they had/have no vision of their own regarding the market. They are the same cherry-pickers who post stuff like: "You want $5-over ebay? Are you crazy? That card only sells for $70!" Haha.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
i had a shot to trade for a trout xfractor auto for under 200 and felt the same way. i got burned on brandon wood and thought of him and didn't pull the trigger

Brandon freaking Wood! Super nice guy but the reason I don't invest in minor league guys. I still want one of his cards but that's just so I can complete a rainbow

tavg

Nov 5, 2014
semo
i traded the topps base rookie for god knows what, at the time i had never heard of him because i collect cardinals. probably traded it for a descalso rookie or something

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I pulled out all my Trout RCs and sent them off to COMC when he started getting hot. Think I took an offer of 2/3rd my price for a lot of around 10 (one each Finest, Draft, Chrome Draft, 2010 Platinum Prospect, and 6 or so Topps Update), which was a sale of maybe $100. I've also had a handful of the Update parallels, and sold them for around $50 each, which isn't nearly as bad as throwing in a 2011 Heritage Minors Red /620 for free in a large deal (back when it was a $5 card).

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That is just silly to me. I just can't see that kind of price holding up. We'll see in a few decades i guess.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I was into my trout collection for about $900, sold for around $4000ish, market value now is $45,000 or so. Very happy with the return, but extremely painful to think about.

Had over 15 different chrome auto bgs 9.5.10's, over 15 sterling and sterling ref autos bgs 9.5/10, etc etc. 45,000 might be light on current market....

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I was into my trout collection for about $900, sold for around $4000ish, market value now is $45,000 or so. Very happy with the return, but extremely painful to think about.

Had over 15 different chrome auto bgs 9.5.10's, over 15 sterling and sterling ref autos bgs 9.5/10, etc etc. 45,000 might be light on current market....

Nuts. Imagine in 10 years what the values will be on these, if he keeps it up? Might be hard to swallow then. :)

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Nuts. Imagine in 10 years what the values will be on these, if he keeps it up? Might be hard to swallow then. :)

I hear you, trust me. I also have multiple gold and orange ref rcs in bgs 9.5 form, about 200 topps update rcs and parallels among others. It stings, but you can't win them all. I have also sold many many guys early that flushed down the toilet shortly after. Jesus Montero is an excellent example.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Guys, I hate being negative but this card is got nowhere to go but down in value. I can't really think of any examples where prices have stayed this way on anybody. Even Pujols stuff is a lot more affordable. You look at every single guy's stuff and you realize eventually, it has no chance of sustaining it's value. Not like this. Guy's get hurt, have decent but not superstar style stats after a few years, etc. I don't doubt Trout will have a great career but these kind of prices suggest a Ruthian career. One he has yet to have. That's why you never buy in on the hype. I'd like to think most of you understand this...

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Guys, I hate being negative but this card is got nowhere to go but down in value. I can't really think of any examples where prices have stayed this way on anybody. Even Pujols stuff is a lot more affordable. You look at every single guy's stuff and you realize eventually, it has no chance of sustaining it's value. Not like this. Guy's get hurt, have decent but not superstar style stats after a few years, etc. I don't doubt Trout will have a great career but these kind of prices suggest a Ruthian career. One he has yet to have. That's why you never buy in on the hype. I'd like to think most of you understand this...

You're right on. I like trout a lot but there's no way these cards can go up

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I'm sure people said that when this card hit $1000, then $2000, then $5000, then $10,000. How much could a presumably PED-free modern-day Mickey Mantle's rarest RC be worth in another 2 or 3 years if he just maintains? Couldn't possibly stay static, could it?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'm sure people said that when this card hit $1000, then $2000, then $5000, then $10,000. How much could a presumably PED-free modern-day Mickey Mantle's rarest RC be worth in another 2 or 3 years if he just maintains? Couldn't possibly stay static, could it?

Yes , in the short term I can see it maintaining a high level , an off year or injury or "new" phenom changes all of that. And there is a good chance one / some / all of those happen. IMO. Lets check back in this thread in 3-5-10 years

Ryan

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

Paying that kind of money for damn near just about any card, period, is borderline insane. Especially a modern one. Even The Famous Wagner card seems a bit over priced seeing as how it's more of a prestige thing rather than anyone even alive and owning one being a huge fan.

Point is, current sport stars are so easily forgotten and tossed aside value wise once the next big thing comes along, people realize they aren't the second coming of Christ, they get busted for PEDS, they turn out to have a normal or even a really decent career, etc.

Take Hunter Pence for example. Far be it from the truth for anyone to say the guy isn't a hell of a ball player. But once it became understood he'd hit around an average of 25 homers a year and not be the next Ruth, people stopped paying well over $300 for his sp auto'd rookies.

Or when Scott Kazmir was thought of as a beast and his best auto'd rookie was well over a bill and even though he turned out to have a decent career(independent league demotion aside) you can now nab one for the price of a meal at a burger joint.

And Ryan Howard, Prince Fielder, David Wright, Cole Hamels, Chase Utley, Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez, Etc.

The joke, in the end, will be on the guy who pays that kind of money for a card numbered to /25 that might not be of his favorite player, and that he might want to one day resell. In that case, he's a fool. And one completely parted from his money.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Paying that kind of money for damn near just about any card, period, is borderline insane. Especially a modern one. Even The Famous Wagner card seems a bit over priced seeing as how it's more of a prestige thing rather than anyone even alive and owning one being a huge fan.

Point is, current sport stars are so easily forgotten and tossed aside value wise once the next big thing comes along, people realize they aren't the second coming of Christ, they get busted for PEDS, they turn out to have a normal or even a really decent career, etc.

Take Hunter Pence for example. Far be it from the truth for anyone to say the guy isn't a hell of a ball player. But once it became understood he'd hit around an average of 25 homers a year and not be the next Ruth, people stopped paying well over $300 for his sp auto'd rookies.

Or when Scott Kazmir was thought of as a beast and his best auto'd rookie was well over a bill and even though he turned out to have a decent career(independent league demotion aside) you can now nab one for the price of a meal at a burger joint.

And Ryan Howard, Prince Fielder, David Wright, Cole Hamels, Chase Utley, Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez, Etc.

The joke, in the end, will be on the guy who pays that kind of money for a card numbered to /25 that might not be of his favorite player, and that he might want to one day resell. In that case, he's a fool. And one completely parted from his money.

Kris Bryant has played 1/2 a year at AAA and his red auto /5 sold for, what, $14.5k? He's done absolutely nothing yet at the MLB level and people are willing to drop serious cash on him. I agree it's borderline insane, but if you have oodles of cash on hand, it's just fun-and-games, I'm sure, to the buyer. At least Trout has proven he's an MVP at the top level. Bryant hasn't proven a damn thing......yet.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Kris Bryant has played 1/2 a year at AAA and his red auto /5 sold for, what, $14.5k? He's done absolutely nothing yet at the MLB level and people are willing to drop serious cash on him. I agree it's borderline insane, but if you have oodles of cash on hand, it's just fun-and-games, I'm sure, to the buyer. At least Trout has proven he's an MVP at the top level. Bryant hasn't proven a damn thing......yet.

Yes I'm hoping its people who have so much $ they won't get hurt if they need to sell it down the line for $5k or $5. It's a whole different level of playing field

Ryan

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Maybe he'll immediately grade it and resell it. I totally agree with [MENTION=4674]bmp1971[/MENTION] on the Kris Bryant point, people are paying crazy prices for a guy they think will be amazing, at least we already know Trout can play at the highest level

Latest posts