Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A Triple Booklet Style Custom is Born

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Over the past three years, I've done a lot of different things. *I've tried to do things that card companies have not done before. *There is one thing I've shied away from, and that is using super premium pieces. *It is coming up on two years since I was at Canseco's house, and while I have no shortage of player-worn material, I have not done much in the way of custom cards with premium pieces.

*The main reason for this is because I simply haven't felt "good enough", so to speak, to cut into a lot of the good stuff and do them the justice they deserve. *Things have been heating up at work recently, and just like that ... WHAMMO ... I've had inspiration for the first time in a long time. *It hit me all at once, to the point where I have three cards or so to work on, but for this article, I can only show one as it has taken up every single spare second I have had for quite a while now.

I cracked open photoshop, did some planning, looked around at the material I had available to me, and got to work.

But not before I had some fun with my friend's picture he posted on facebook recently.

fish3.jpg

This semi-obscene picture was just screaming*to be a*movie, so I made it so.

fish1.jpg

Disappointed it won't hit theatres? *Well, apparently I was wrong....

fish2.jpg

I know it isn't baseball, but when you are riding the creativity wave, you go with it.

So anyway, for my latest project, I wanted to do something big. *Something that included pieces I was previously not ready to use. *Included in these are ...

The Jose barrel piece shown below from the game used bat I cut up a while back. *I wasn't sure what I was going to use it for, but it turns out it was perfect for this project!

Untitled2.jpg

Here it is, being sanded down for this project.

20170328_004635.jpg

When I went to Jose's house, I had brought along a few gloves for him to wear. *We traded one (as you've probably heard me retell a million times by now), and he wore the others. *This was not too long after he shot his finger, so I brought both a left and right handed glove to wear just in case he couldn't put on the right handed one. *Thankfully, he was able to wear all of them! *This is the one I used for this project.

20170326_170400.jpg

Here is a video of us talking while messing around with the gloves. *Forgive me for looking and acting like a dork here. *I was*talking to my baseball hero!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o89hHY_zeJo

This project also includes a cleat. *Fun fact: *I researched what size he wore, and it was size 13. *When I brought them out, he told me his feet have been growing since he was 40, and*now wears size 14 shoes. Being a good sport, he crammed as much of his feet in them as he could, and did a funny little tap dance for us in them while he was sitting down. *It was great!

20170328_010019.jpg

And last but not least, this project includes a jersey piece that I had him wear as shown below. * This card was something I put together for my Topps guest blog. *Check it out when you get a chance!

meandcanseco.jpg

*So, without further adieu, I present to you:

blackout2.jpg

The logo / card name was actually something I designed after I did everything else. *I tossed and turned on it for a while, and it seemed to come together nicely.

So, why blackout?

Well, because it's black :)

Not just the design, though - everything is black. *Normally when I do THICK cards, the edges look like this. * I'll show you in a bit what the edges look like now (I'll give you a hint ... they are the opposite of white.)

Untitled-4.jpg

*Even the top and bottom layers got the blackout treatment ...

Untitled-5.jpg

This project had so, SO many things go wrong. *My least favorite of which is when I dropped it when it was finished, and I had to redo part of it. *URGH!!!! *Heck, I probably have half a trash bag full of scrap alone. *Everything took so long, but I'm very happy with how it came out. *Here is the back of it. *The back and fronts are ultra glossy, so you see a lot of reflection on it.

20170330_152013.jpg

As you can see, the card is actually a triple booklet. *I've seen card companies do this more and more recently, but nothing I've been mega hyped about (for Canseco, anyway!)

Here is what I came up with:

20170330_151207-copy-copy.jpg

Though it was a HUGE pain, everything came together nicely. *I had thought about putting a cap button in the middle instead of the patch, but I'm a sucker for a nice multi-colored patch, and I thought it tied in everything quite nicely, with the rest of it being black.

20170330_150945.jpg

See how the edges turned out? *I LOVE the whole thing in black, and love how thick it is.

It refracts light beautifully, but unfortunately one picture alone cannot do it justice. *Here it is using the new animated gif process I came up with. *It still doesn't show as nicely as it does in person, but I think it does well.

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

Yeah, I like that :) *Last, but not least, I thought I'd do an artsy shot of it with the pieces I used to make it. * I'm not sure what part exactly I like best about it. *I LOVE The glove, but then again, the jumbo patch and bat barrel seem to go so well together. *Then, the cleat laces ... yeah, that might be my favorite part. *I dunno ... I can't pick!

20170330_151434.jpg

All I know is if a*card company came out with something like this, I think I'd lose my mind. *I think this is my favorite custom I've ever made, and am glad it all worked out, even if it took forever.

Update: I posted a video here to show it off as well!

https://youtu.be/4lTNoEMK_UY

Last edited:

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
Wow! That's a beautiful card! The black out look is awesome, I love the sides. There's a lot of prime packed into that gem! I want a Puckett =)

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Um, who's this Canseco guy you keep talking about?

Oh wait, I did see him in Tacoma back in the mid 80's.. Some other kid was with him as well if I remember.. Oh yeah.. Mark McGwire was his name I think..

:cool:

Fantastic job as always..

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
What, no autograph?

LAME!

Haha totally kidding. At some point the "real" (I use that term loosely) card companies are going to have to come knocking...

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Thank you tons guys! [MENTION=11496]goobmcnasty[/MENTION], funny you mention that. The plan was to have an autograph in the bat barrel section. It wasn't until I opened my box of goodies to see what I had in the way of bat material. I placed it in and ... well ... the autograph had no chance at all after I saw what the barrel looked like there :)

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Meh. If it's not serial numbered, it's worthless! :)

But ... it says one of one in the upper right! LOL - actually to be honest with you, I wasn't going to have it there, but didn't like it not being there, so I added it in after creating a logo and such as well :)

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Oh! I missed that.

OK, well, then, I suppose I must concede that it is officially cool now.

Seriously, nice work. Some card company needs to put you on their payroll.

But ... it says one of one in the upper right! LOL - actually to be honest with you, I wasn't going to have it there, but didn't like it not being there, so I added it in after creating a logo and such as well :)