Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Umm.... Mike Schmidt 5 Star Bat Knob?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjk10

Oct 22, 2010
I found mention of one that says sometimes his number and the bat weight were on the knob . . .

"
all marks include blue ink transfers. Also visible on the bat are cleat marks and red bat rack streaks. There is a light coat of pine tar on the handle. Mike’s number “20” and the bats weight “33.6” are on the knob in black marker. The model number “154X” is stamped on the knob. The ash bat measures 35.75” and weighs 33.6 ounces. The bat is signed in blue sharpie with “NL HR Champ 74 75 76” inscription, Mint signature. A Tri-Star hologram and a MLB Authentication hologram are affixed to the barrel. PSA GU 9."

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I have seen numerous Schmidt bats (As well as hundreds of others) in the bat rack and none of them ever had a number other than 20 on them. I remember seeing a stack of 4 Schmidt bats in the walkway to the dugout and thinking to myself that he would never miss one if one would walk off but I figured my job was more valuable than his bat. He may have picked up a bat that was someone else's to use in a game which does happen on occasion but usually a player will put his own number on the knob in a case like this and cross off the other players number if he intends to keep using the bat.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
It's possibly Schmidt had a clearly-marked spot for his bats to be and only needed to differentiate the weights - like said above.

I can tell you this didnt happen. Most players only bring 2-3 gamers to the dugout for the game and these gamers are usually lumped together in a group but there is generally no specific spot where one player's group of bats is kept so the player does not have to identify his bats on the knob. The number on the knob is specifically to identify the players bat in the bat rack.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
IIRC, Schmidt had a knob in Tier One and it also had "20" markered on it. Weight was the first thing I thought of when I saw this card, and it's plausible. I imagine if he was tinkering with his hitting while going through one of his slumps, he might have a variety of bats marked differently, and one of them makes it to the field. But spending hundreds on a card with anything but a 20 on it would feel bad.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
there's a chance its real but to me unless Topps could produce it's documentation from a well trusted authenticator then I wouldn't be interested. I doubt Topps has any such documentation and relys on auction or seller verifications.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
It's on eBay, obviously, with a $1500 BIN. I was thinking of plunking a few hundred down (don't know if it would have sold for that or not - I have never bought a bat knob), but with #33 rather than #20.... eh. Not so interested.

:lol: Its gonna cost ya more than a few Hundred if you want to own one of these, Try 600-800 maybe more. The Topps Teir one sold for 1100.00.
Im going to go out on a limb and say that its real and im sure topps has a valid reason for the 33. More than likely what others have said (Onces). I doubt topps would put their company on the line for a Piece of a knob and the fact that the product is highly publizied for being highend im sure they knew people would speculate and ask questions (Which im glad they do). If they just wanted to put any bat knob in they would have atleast put his correct number or left it blank. I mean they are at times incompetent but not stupid. Im sure its one of Mikes bats but with onces instead of jersey number which to be honest is even more rare if he rarely put onces on the bat which to me is more desirable. In another senerio maybe a mix up with knobs just like Those Jumbo tags with the authentication sticker that had a different player slated for the tag, the 33 could be Eddie Murrays and Jim Rice might have the Schmidt? I honestly dont know. I do know that the people they hire to put these cards together most of the time have no clue about sports period and im sure they hire people like that so they have an urge to steal as they really dont know or understand the real secondary value on these cards.

Here is one I picked up that I am still stumped about :lol: Let the Speculation and conspiracy begin :)

BobGibsonBatKnob1of1.jpg

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I have no doubt Topps had a genuine knob. But as Tony pointed out with some minor contradiction, the people who assemble them are clueless and have screwed up before. I doubt those employees take any special care just because a product is "high end". To those employees high end products are probably a pain in the rear and I bet they look forward to those products being off the assembly line quickly

In the minors I have seen players mark their bats with everything from initials to jersey number to numerical order.

I guess I would ask how the bats in Philly were stored throughout the Schmidt era. If they were in cubbys and marked by name this very well could indicate length, weight, or + - a 3.3 this would make sense at 35 oz 32" or any combination of 3.3

Then again lies the chance for human error.. I would just wonder how many bats topps would acquire at once to make this mistake. If its single bat then you would think it would be tagged ASAP.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I wouldn't trust anything purported to be game used by a specific player by Topps.

That's why the back of their cards are so vague- even they can't prove anything.

We all assume the Bat Knob cards are from the "knob" of the bat (handle end). I have seen a few knobs from various Topps products and it is my belief Topps is also using the "barrel" end of the bat and calling it a knob as well. This way Topps get 2 "knobs" from every bat. Did you really think Topps cut up that many bats to get all these "knobs"?
Would explain the 33 on the end of the bat.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
We all assume the Bat Knob cards are from the "knob" of the bat (handle end). I have seen a few knobs from various Topps products and it is my belief Topps is also using the "barrel" end of the bat and calling it a knob as well. This way Topps get 2 "knobs" from every bat. Did you really think Topps cut up that many bats to get all these "knobs"?
Would explain the 33 on the end of the bat.

Hmmm.....like how could the patient have been the doctors son. Great point

Members online

Latest posts