Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ryan Dempster will not pitch in 2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Not too often Ryan Dempster makes a headline but he decided due to physical issues and wanting to spend more time with family he will sit out the 2014 season. He leaves a little over $13m on the table.

LINK

That's too bad. Even though he didn't pitch great last year, I really liked him as the veteran presence, a good clubhouse guy and who would do whatever was asked of him. One of the better guys in baseball IMO. Wish him the best...

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
08_dempster_5of6.jpg

08_dempster_1of6.png

Anthony

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego area
Am I understanding this situation? Dempster COULD have tried to pitch during 2014 (rehab, medical treatments, DL, etc.) and make $13 million despite not pitching during 2014. However, he decided to not try to pitch and walk away from baseball activities this year, thus giving up the $13 million. So, he knows he won't be able to pitch this year, and instead of trying to do something he know he can't (and get $13 million), he decided to leave the money on the table and spend more time with the kids.

Is that right? If so, I think it shows a lot of integrity on his part.

Not too often Ryan Dempster makes a headline but he decided due to physical issues and wanting to spend more time with family he will sit out the 2014 season. He leaves a little over $13m on the table.

LINK

That's too bad. Even though he didn't pitch great last year, I really liked him as the veteran presence, a good clubhouse guy and who would do whatever was asked of him. One of the better guys in baseball IMO. Wish him the best...

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Am I understanding this situation? Dempster COULD have tried to pitch during 2014 (rehab, medical treatments, DL, etc.) and make $13 million despite not pitching during 2014. However, he decided to not try to pitch and walk away from baseball activities this year, thus giving up the $13 million. So, he knows he won't be able to pitch this year, and instead of trying to do something he know he can't (and get $13 million), he decided to leave the money on the table and spend more time with the kids.

Is that right? If so, I think it shows a lot of integrity on his part.
That's about the jist of it. Ryan is one of the true class acts in baseball. Very few players would forfeit a guaranteed $13m contract because they feel like they are physically unable to perform at a high level. I think the main reason is to be with his family, because his daughter has a rare disease...but he does take pride in helping his team win by any means necessary so he must not feel like he can do so this year.

While he didn't pitch great in 2013, he was a reliable #5 starter and he did pitch about 175 total innings so you really can't ask for much more than that. I was looking forward to him being our long relief guy this year, because we haven't had one in a few years.

heavy_hitter - Very nice patches!

Latest posts