Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AJ Ellis+ traded for Carlos Ruiz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Not a huge trade on its surface, but Ellis was Kershaws personal catcher and good friend. Does the loss of Ellis effect Kershaw when (or if) he comes back this season? Does a move like this effect clubhouse morale, or do the positives that Chooch brings offset that? This is less about the trade at face value and more about how it effects the things we don't always think about.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I saw a stat that Kershaw's ERA pitching to Grandal is .01 different than to Ruiz, so my guess is that it has very little impact.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Insult to injury: the Dodgers took their team picture today. I'm far from an Ellis fan, but that's bull****.

My initial reaction to the trade was laughter. "About time", I said to myself. He really hasn't been Kershaw's personal catcher for a couple years (Grandal caught 13/33 of his 2015 starts, and 6/16 for 2016), and he's a real liability at the plate.

Then I felt like a complete dick when I starting reading Ellis' quotes. The tears, how much he loved being a Dodger and playing at Dodger Stadium, how much he was going to miss catching CK. Then I got to thinking that while he's about as much of an offensive threat as most MLB pitchers, his presence in the clubhouse was a huge part of their success. I remember when the Dodgers had the reputation of 25 players, 25 cabs after the game. With Puig gone, it looks like these guys all really like each other, and a big reason for that has been ripped out.

The timing is very baffling. Ruiz will be a better player, but will that make up for the missing element in the dugout? Time will tell, I suppose.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is Ruiz really much of an upgrade to be worth trading a beloved clubhouse guy?
Ruiz hit .211 last season. This year he's hitting .261 with 3 homers this year.
Sure Ellis can't hit, but it seems like a weird trade to make, especially with Kershaw about to come back.

Members online