Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1989 Upper Deck sample/blank back help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Hopefully there's at least one expert in these things here.

For many years I've had the card on the left, which has a stamp on the back that reads SAMPLE NOT FOR RESALE. I have also been searching for a blank back, which I have seen examples of in other player collections. One showed up on eBay last week, so I picked it up. That card is shown on the right. As you can see, it's MUCH darker than the card on the left, plus the registration is way off.

So my question is this: does anyone else have one of these '89 blank backs? Is yours as dark as mine? The card stock looks right and feels right, so I'm wondering whether it's legit or not. I didn't pay much, but that's not the point. I'd really like to knock a card off my very small list.

Thanks in advance.

10e4g8m.jpg

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I'd like to know that too. There's an Alomar on ebay right now that I would like for my PC, but it's $20 and I am not interested in spending that on a card somebody printed in their basement. Counterfeits are fun at $5 but not at $20.

I know Butler and a handful of others were in the legit blank-back promo set with no position on front, but these other blank back ones keep popping up and I don't know what to make with them. After all UD had a hologram to prevent counterfeiting, so it makes you wonder what an uncataloged blank back card w/o hologram really is :). So hopefully somebody here knows?

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Bumping this thread to the top...

Does anyone know the story behind 1989 UD blank back cards? I picked one up the other day for cheap, and noticed the printing is a couple shades lighter than the pack-issued cards. The card stock and gloss are the same, it's just the color is off. Are these legit, or counterfeit, or are there some of both floating around?

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
That is a cool one. There are several mentions online about black & white blank back proofs, but nothing about a sort-of colored one. Whatever it is, nice pickup.

I have this one which is blank on back and Beckett recognizes as some sort of printing test I assume. Maybe yours is related?

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
This Just In.....................

"These samples were produced before the prepress group did color correction. Not all will be dark like this, it depends on the exposure of the original photograph used."

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
This Just In.....................

"These samples were produced before the prepress group did color correction. Not all will be dark like this, it depends on the exposure of the original photograph used."
Atta boy.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
OK I have another off the wall question about 89 UD. I got a BBOC (Big Box O' Commons) off ebay in the mail today, hoping to find some variations or errors inside. No luck, except for maybe one thing.

There were four 89 UD cards which looked exactly right, except they were printed on very thin cardboard stock. Actually I'd say it was closer to paper than cardboard. As I was flipping through them, this thin stock actually came apart into front and back halves. So then I'm holding the front half of the card in one hand, and the back half in the other hand...and these front/back halves were on very flimsy paper stock indeed.

So uh WTF? Has anyone ever run across anything like this with 89 UD? [MENTION=1759]magicpapa[/MENTION] ?

Last edited:

OhioCollectibles

Aug 28, 2008
OK I have another off the wall question about 89 UD. I got a BBOC (Big Box O' Commons) off ebay in the mail today, hoping to find some variations or errors inside. No luck, except for maybe one thing.

There were four 89 UD cards which looked exactly right, except they were printed on very thin cardboard stock. Actually I'd say it was closer to paper than cardboard. As I was flipping through them, this thin stock actually came apart into front and back halves. So then I'm holding the front half of the card in one hand, and the back half in the other hand...and these front/back halves were on very flimsy paper stock indeed.

So uh WTF? Has anyone ever run across anything like this with 89 UD?
Pics?

I collect Chet Lemon

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Hereyago. The first one shows two separated cards. Bottom row is the "middle" faces. The front and back halves were clearly glued together to make the "original". The second pic shows the one I have that's not quite fully separated yet, half of it is still glued together.

89 UD flimsy stock front and back.jpg

89 UD flimsy stock almost separated.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Seems like humidity could cause two halves of the card to peel apart, but the paper itself is really thin...and 89 UD wasn't produced with front and back sides printed separately, then glued together were they?

Dunno what these things are. I'm going to add an entry to my master PC checklist titled "1989 Upper Deck Executive Two-Part Prototype", with a print run of 10 copies. I will then make a check mark by it to show I own one.

Last edited:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

So uh WTF? Has anyone ever run across anything like this with 89 UD? [MENTION=1759]magicpapa[/MENTION] ?

UD reply..... "Never heard of cards using different stock before. Sorry, can’t help on this one."

Members online