Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What eBay auction(s) have you been watching "forever" and it'll never sell - frustrating!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
This is just one of many that I have been watching for a long time. I have been watching his one for over 5 years and it has never came down 1 cent. The only other Shawn Green 1/1 Signing bonus, which was a full game used L A Logo, sold at auction about a year ago for $15+ shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380433201509?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Damn, that's a nice piece... crazy it's never come down... have you contacted the guy? Sometimes I'm convinced things like this are actually a PC item for the seller and they get off on having it up on eBay for a crazy price and it being theirs an no one elses.

jpruitt2

Aug 11, 2008
Searcy, Arkansas
Damn, that's a nice piece... crazy it's never come down... have you contacted the guy? Sometimes I'm convinced things like this are actually a PC item for the seller and they get off on having it up on eBay for a crazy price and it being theirs an no one elses.

It isn't a pc item. I have talked to him before. He had both of the 1/1's that I was talking about. He had them both listed for the same BIN as the link that I posted. After several years he finally listed the L A logo at auction trying to see how much they are worth. After it sold for $15 he says he will not come down at all on the other BIN. Says he lost to much money on the other.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't think I have seen anything still listed that long. Eventually what i watch seems to end unsold and go away. Recently though, several that re-listed many, many times in the last 2-3 years, including one jersey serial number that was a $150/OBO, that I was watching sold to a couple new or returning members at near or full prices, so you never know when that "crazy" price will be accepted.

Another player collector of considerable note who I won't call out by name has relisted a certain card I watch over and over for what I believe is ridiculous money (it hasn't sold, so I can't be too wrong here), even though I have not seen another one listed in that same time frame. That just shows me that even die hard player collectors will hold cards hostage from other player collectors.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I don't think I have seen anything still listed that long. Eventually what i watch seems to end unsold and go away. Recently though, several that re-listed many, many times in the last 2-3 years, including one jersey serial number that was a $150/OBO, that I was watching sold to a couple new or returning members at near or full prices, so you never know when that "crazy" price will be accepted.

Another player collector of considerable note who I won't call out by name has relisted a certain card I watch over and over for what I believe is ridiculous money (it hasn't sold, so I can't be too wrong here), even though I have not seen another one listed in that same time frame. That just shows me that even die hard player collectors will hold cards hostage from other player collectors.

Surprising you've never encountered a card like we've seen. I just feel like there has to be SO many examples.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I was actually in the opposite position of this - I had a lot of Pavel Bure cards that were "good til sold" and they were relisted for 19 months before they finally sold. My asking price was $325 and I got offers of like $75, $100, etc., which to me, were a joke since I was somewhat "attached" to the cards. I collected him back in the early-mid 90s when he was with Vancouver. They were my favorite team and he was by far my favorite player.

I had a lot of the hard to find singles and the lot consisted of over 400 unique cards. Someone finally offered me $300 for them and I took it.

Some people just aren't in a rush to sell stuff and they will let it sit for a LOOOOOOONG time. If it sells, great. If not, no problem. So while frustrating to those that perhaps want to buy it, I guess the bottom line is that there is precedent that asking prices (or close to them) can be had when you are in no particular rush and can wait out the right buyer. If you really want something in your collection, sometimes you might just have to pay for it, even if you don't think it's worth it (and, it might actually not be worth it, but that's life!).

On the other hand, if it's kinda common, you can wait it out for another to surface. I wanted a Rocco Baldelli Bowman Draft RC Auto in my collection and at one point there was only one or two on ebay and some had sold in the past couple of months. The two listed were for $100 and $75... the ones that sold were like $4.00 and $7.50. I think I offered both of them $10 for it and of course, they rejected. One guy even banned me from making any offers on any of his stuff LOL! I think I bought one that listed at auction a month or two later for like $4.00 delivered. Granted, they will probably NEVER get the $100 and $75 asking prices, but hey, their right to ask what ever they want.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Exactly , a seller who is in no rush to sell has the upper hand. I've seen and sold plenty if stuff that sat for a while , offers were half of listed price that bam it sells for full asking. I've wanted items priced IMO a lot over market , then I'm like where did that listing go? I check sold and sure enough they got the full asking price.

With VintageSnowMobiles , he sells a bunch of stuff at 50% or so off his list but he has a stash of great items and 24,000 feedback. So it may suck to see an item you want from him sitting there but it's not hurting him by keeping it up. As Bill said , if you want it , you may have to overpay a lil. Or wait for another one to get listed , and as you know some of his items are rare that you may not see them again.

Ryan

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I was actually in the opposite position of this - I had a lot of Pavel Bure cards that were "good til sold" and they were relisted for 19 months before they finally sold. My asking price was $325 and I got offers of like $75, $100, etc., which to me, were a joke since I was somewhat "attached" to the cards. I collected him back in the early-mid 90s when he was with Vancouver. They were my favorite team and he was by far my favorite player.

I had a lot of the hard to find singles and the lot consisted of over 400 unique cards. Someone finally offered me $300 for them and I took it.

Some people just aren't in a rush to sell stuff and they will let it sit for a LOOOOOOONG time. If it sells, great. If not, no problem. So while frustrating to those that perhaps want to buy it, I guess the bottom line is that there is precedent that asking prices (or close to them) can be had when you are in no particular rush and can wait out the right buyer. If you really want something in your collection, sometimes you might just have to pay for it, even if you don't think it's worth it (and, it might actually not be worth it, but that's life!).

On the other hand, if it's kinda common, you can wait it out for another to surface. I wanted a Rocco Baldelli Bowman Draft RC Auto in my collection and at one point there was only one or two on ebay and some had sold in the past couple of months. The two listed were for $100 and $75... the ones that sold were like $4.00 and $7.50. I think I offered both of them $10 for it and of course, they rejected. One guy even banned me from making any offers on any of his stuff LOL! I think I bought one that listed at auction a month or two later for like $4.00 delivered. Granted, they will probably NEVER get the $100 and $75 asking prices, but hey, their right to ask what ever they want.
Great post.

In response, I think there are a few schools of thought here...

(1) Some people post cards or items for sale with really no NEED to sell and more of a position of "Well I am totally happy keeping the item in my PC unless my price is met" and eBay allows them to just keep rolling the auction forward into eternity with no recourse, which is probably another topic, another problem

(2) It's one thing if you have an auction and you have a decent price in mind, yes, you're right - it takes time but a buyer will come... it's a whole other conversation though when it comes to the auction I showed in my OP which is a Belle printing plate for $450... let me tell you, that will never sell, period. The last 10 plates of his from the '90s went for less than $20 each... no chance $450 is ever going to be the price for that card.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Other than the usuall vintagesnowmobiles cards, I have had this card on my watchlist on and off for a year and a half or so. Made a couple offers on it in 2012 but gave up after that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-Donruss-Diamond-Kings-Twins-Signed-Kirby-Puckett-Baseball-Card-2-4-/280983978075?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item416bf3405b#ht_127wt_896
Wow, yea, I can see now.

Has 6 watchers and 8 offers. Not sure what the sale price of it is but seems high IMO but I have no idea.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110316288793?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

He had the Joey Harrington /3 also, but evidently sold it. I messaged him a couple years back and he said he would take $500 for both of them. HAHA!!!! No thanks.

Here is the offer history:

f***3
s.gif
( 371
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)
DeclinedApr-18-13 22:22:21 PDT
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
f***3
s.gif
( 371
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)
DeclinedMar-31-13 19:49:23 PDT
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
f***3
s.gif
( 371
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)
DeclinedMar-21-13 14:10:52 PDT
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
a***a
s.gif
( 21
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
ExpiredMar-14-10 21:58:47 PDT
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
****t
s.gif
( 5 )
s.gif
Not a registered user
ExpiredOct-31-09 11:58:01 PDT
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
****t
s.gif
( 5 )
s.gif
Not a registered user
DeclinedOct-19-09 05:43:08 PDT
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
7***2
s.gif
( 1441
iconRedStar_25x25.gif
)
DeclinedNov-24-08 10:28:03 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
a***s
s.gif
( 841
iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif
)
DeclinedNov-24-08 05:46:48 PST

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=2394]tonsofcommons[/MENTION] - That's funny! Perfect example of a card which will NEVER sell lol!

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA

Agree with this 100%.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Wow, yea, I can see now.

Has 6 watchers and 8 offers. Not sure what the sale price of it is but seems high IMO but I have no idea.

The highest I ever offered was $300 for it. It is low compared to what they are asking but it is in the ballpark of what it "should" sell for.

Members online