Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

You know you are a card collector when....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
If You Have Ever Uttered Theses Words........................

millionaire_zpscvwdadyn.jpg

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
You know you are a card collector when every non-card purchase is considered against what card(s) you could purchase with those funds. When I was a kid, I used to save my lunch money so that I could buy cards at my LCS on the weekends.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
When you can recall how much you spent on a card 8 years ago, but cannot remember birthday's of family members & friends.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
You know you're a card collector when you can only remember the specific year an important life event happened by connecting it to the cards you were collecting at the time.

"Hmm I must have graduated high school in 1996 because I remember pulling Topps Mantle inserts out of packs..."

^this - I do it from about 1983 to 1998. I have this faint memory of busting a box of 1985 Topps while Raspberry Beret was playing on the radio, for example.

When you're the jerk that crushes everyone's big money dream. Ie sorry bro that 90 pro set Bo Jackson in a screw down isn't worth that much

This is me at work. My first and usually only question is, "when did you stop collecting?" The most popular answer is 1991 or 1992 and I have to break the news to them.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
How about this: You equate the cost of a card or collectible you are considering for purchase in how many days, hours or minutes you'd have to work to earn that money? I have used this justification more than a few times and it seems to make the decision easier if I know I only need to work 1 hour to buy that card I want.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
How about this: You equate the cost of a card or collectible you are considering for purchase in how many days, hours or minutes you'd have to work to earn that money? I have used this justification more than a few times and it seems to make the decision easier if I know I only need to work 1 hour to buy that card I want.
Outside of those collectors that are either well off enough or don't give a care for their personal financial situation, this is the best response for a collector such as myself.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
You know you are a card collector when you get excited when MLB Network advertises Bowman Baseball cards and you and your son actually get excited and show your wife the commercial on the DVR. Wow a baseball card COMMERCIAL?????

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
...when you are annoyed that movies use fake baseball cards as props, when they could more easily have just picked up a stack of real cards for cheaper.

I was watching some movie trivia video on YouTube (maybe Cracked) and they pointed out several props that get reused from movie to movie, and one was a newspaper. Someone actually went to the trouble to create a fake prop newspaper, when they could have just bought one for 25 cents. Yet that same paper keeps showing up in movies and TV shows with the same photos, stories and headlines, year after year.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
...when you are annoyed that movies use fake baseball cards as props, when they could more easily have just picked up a stack of real cards for cheaper.

I was watching some movie trivia video on YouTube (maybe Cracked) and they pointed out several props that get reused from movie to movie, and one was a newspaper. Someone actually went to the trouble to create a fake prop newspaper, when they could have just bought one for 25 cents. Yet that same paper keeps showing up in movies and TV shows with the same photos, stories and headlines, year after year.

They do that so the show avoids becoming a period piece. Also, the content on the phony newspaper is guaranteed to be non-controversial.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Spotting anachronistic collectibles in period pieces is yet another hobby of mine. My favorite is a MASH sode (circa 1951) where Radar is reading a copy of The Avengers, an issue numbered somewhere in the 40s I think (circa 1965). I don't know what Topps would charge to license the trademarked design of one of their card sets, but I'm sure it's cheaper for movie production to have a PA create one. And probably only a really card-nerdy director would insist on it.

But you know you're a card collector when you really start contemplating selling it all, cashing out and buying a new house and/or car, and forgetting all about ebay, sniping, slabbing, wantlists, print runs, case breaks, toploaders, loupes, and all the unfullfilled desires you'll ever have in building this collection that never ends, but decide,"No."

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
You see the All-Star Game warm-up jerseys and immediately think that the patches used in Triple Threads are going to be pretty boring next year.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
....your wife/gf tells you that she has a great weekend planned and to get "plenty of protection" while at the the store and you bring home two packs a of sleeve, 4 packs of toploaders, and a package of 9-card pages.

Members online