Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Competing against your Nemesis...... do you have one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Brooks Robinson

It seems like I'm the only Brooksie collector on the planet, but when a rare card/item comes available all parties come out of the woodwork. I really liked it when eBay had all of the user ID's listed so you could at least know who's bidding against you as well as knowing who won the item if it wasn't you.

When it comes to test issues there are not only player collectors, but several set type collectors going after these type items so it makes it extremely difficult to come out on top.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
So how is it that some of you have actually found your nemesis or nemeses? From a lot of ebay auctions I *think* there's another Alomar collector or two out there, but who knows. I have found and contacted a couple guys online, but both of them are pretty casual. Not hard core enough to spend the big $ like these phantom nemeses do.

Maybe the way to smoke out other collectors is to start a website called "thebestrobertoalomarcollectionintheuniverse.com" and brag enough that they get pissed and write me :). Actually I've thought about that, but just can't get up the motivation needed to create a decent website!

Watching message boards and seeing people post new additions is a pretty good way.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Man that's no lie!

It seems like I'm the only Brooksie collector on the planet, but when a rare card/item comes available all parties come out of the woodwork.

I probably should get on another board or two and ask if there's anyone with the same PC. But I have done some pretty thorough searches of places like blowout and just don't come up with too much in the threads :-(

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
There is no shortage of buyers for the unique and rare. Set, type, team, player and impulse are a a few waiting to take your items away from you, even if you are the biggest collector of a player otherwise. I have tried to come to terms with the I won't have it all mentality, but it still sucks to lose something cool you didn't have.

It seems like I'm the only Brooksie collector on the planet, but when a rare card/item comes available all parties come out of the woodwork. I really liked it when eBay had all of the user ID's listed so you could at least know who's bidding against you as well as knowing who won the item if it wasn't you.

When it comes to test issues there are not only player collectors, but several set type collectors going after these type items so it makes it extremely difficult to come out on top.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Trying to finish the 1953 Bowman Color set with PSA 8 or higher has caused me much angst with a handful of collectors. I'm down to the last 17 cards and need to upgrade some others, so it's a battle every time one of the increasing rare ones hits the auction block. Cards are starting to skyrocket with so little supply now.

But when it comes to Greg Bird items I'm pretty sure I'm several people's nemesis...:cool:

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
I have a nemesis for my Sandy Alomar Jr. collection. He and I get along well though. We both have collection sites and comment on each other's new pickups. We have even traded with each other a couple of times. He has been going at it for longer than I have so we don't cross paths except on really rare and new stuff.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
The Frank Thomas community is all fairly tight knit, we lay off of certain cards for folks whom are in a particular need. There are a couple of more anonymous big buyers, but they have very specific, deep tastes most of the time. My nemeses are also good friends in most cases, so there don't tend to be hard feelings or crazy competition.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I have a few friends who collect my guy. We share and give each other heads up. My nemesis is money.

This is probably my biggest "nemesis' too. LOL. The other day when I saw a card that I knew that other guy needs as well and I got this pit in my stomach. I knew that I was going to have to spend way more than I wanted. I always hate to see the cards i need in auction format because I know it is going to be tough going. Especially when I see it was just listed cause I know I have 7 days to ponder how much money I am going to piss away. ::facepalm::

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Over the years there were 3 guys and myself competing for O'neill cards. One with deep pockets, one that was search savvy and the last one was a serial number to the uniform collector. I was in contact with all 3 and maintained a good relationship helping each other out. Eventually all 3 moved on to different players and I bought all 3 guys collections. I still am in contact with them.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
there are a few other sweet spot collectors out there. wish I knew who they were, otherwise I fall victim to player collectors mostly.
found another guy on a different board and tried to strike up a conversation but didn't get anywhere.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Watching message boards and seeing people post new additions is a pretty good way.

Yup. Using this info, i can figure out their "hidden" ebay winning bidder ids based on new items posted. but its a good thing, because it allows me to see when they have a bid on a card already, and so i will move on. If i can help them save some money, then i wont up their bids. Sure it sucks being outbid by someone who hasnt been collecting as long as you (there are so many new Bagwell collectors now), but like others, my nemesis is a lack of money to compete.

Members online

Latest posts