Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NFL Cuts! Any of them surprising to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Ya, I saw he was taking the Troy Williamson route. Lucky for me Burton was cheap fun and Williamson was not.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I think the Texans had a heck of a situation at running back but I just figured they'd keep Dennis Johnson over Cierre Wood although Wood is really awesome. We always have some tough decisions to make for RB. Tate would be a starter on a lot if teams if he doesn't keep getting hurt.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Personally, I always thought LaVelle Hawkins was gonna make it. Maybe his shenanigans this preseason tipped the scales. :(

The Iggles cutting Watkins and keeping 5 other OTs makes no sense to me. Alot of times, O-Lineman that are considered "Busts" can be developed into at least servicable players down the road. And Watkins was a former Fireman who didn't play OL until college.

Surprised by the Dwyer cut too. In fact, it was reported he showed up in better shape than ever. I always thought he had better upside and speed than Redman..

And not too surprised by his getting cut, but somebody will pick up Leon Washington fast. Maybe give Seattle to correct its' earlier mistake?

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
I'm surprised that Dwyer getting cut is a shock to anybody. Kid was just not good enough for the league.

But I just pulled a relic from 2013 topps base...
Yeah if he couldn't beat out the guys in front of him the past few years, he wasn't meant to be in the league. Steelers backs haven't been good since Willie Parker stopped being fast.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
I think the Texans had a heck of a situation at running back but I just figured they'd keep Dennis Johnson over Cierre Wood although Wood is really awesome. We always have some tough decisions to make for RB. Tate would be a starter on a lot if teams if he doesn't keep getting hurt.

No, Tate would just be an often injured backup in other cities.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I'm surprised that Dwyer getting cut is a shock to anybody. Kid was just not good enough for the league.

He had a better season last year statistically than both Isaac Redman and Felix Jones. But hey, don't let facts get in your way.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
But I just pulled a relic from 2013 topps base...
Yeah if he couldn't beat out the guys in front of him the past few years, he wasn't meant to be in the league. Steelers backs haven't been good since Willie Parker stopped being fast.

You do realize he was their primary back as far as carries and stats go last season, right?

bmc398

May 25, 2009
You do realize he was their primary back as far as carries and stats go last season, right?

And being the tallest midget on a basketball court is a good thing? I know JD (grew up in my neighborhood) and he's a GREAT guy....just not a great pro football player.

His stats weren't impressive by any means. I'm not here saying that Redman is a better back (Felix Jones if healthy IS a far better option though), just that Dwyer is not a legit #1 or even #2 guy.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
No, you said he's not good enough to be in the league. That's not remotely the same thing as saying he's not good enough to be a #1 or #2 guy. And what exactly does being the tallest midget on a basketball court have to do with literally anything that you previously said or that I said? You said he's not good enough to be in the league, I pointed out that statistically he had a better season last year than both RBs who the Steelers kept this season over him which would indeed show that he should be good enough to be in the league. Now you're trying to change your tune and say he's not good enough to be the #1 or #2 guy on a team and something about midgets on a basketball court which again has nothing to do with anything. You wanna make comments that are foolish, then stick by them and defend them. Don't try to completely change your tune when it's pointed out that your comments hold no merit.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
No, you said he's not good enough to be in the league. That's not remotely the same thing as saying he's not good enough to be a [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] or [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] guy. And what exactly does being the tallest midget on a basketball court have to do with literally anything that you previously said or that I said? You said he's not good enough to be in the league, I pointed out that statistically he had a better season last year than both RBs who the Steelers kept this season over him which would indeed show that he should be good enough to be in the league. Now you're trying to change your tune and say he's not good enough to be the [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] or [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] guy on a team and something about midgets on a basketball court which again has nothing to do with anything. You wanna make comments that are foolish, then stick by them and defend them. Don't try to completely change your tune when it's pointed out that your comments hold no merit.

Where did I not stick with my comment? Saying that he's not a #1 or #2 back (#1 back...feature back...20 carries guy or #2 back, changeup guy...10 carries) wasn't that he wasn't in that specific slot on the team (which he clearly isn't), just that his style doesn't match up to what teams typically look for when keeping a RB on the roster in those roles. He's not fast, he doesn't play to his size well enough, doesn't catch the football well, doesn't block well.....so he's not an NFL back. You act like the Steelers WANTED to have him play significant minutes last year. It clearly was not in their plans and they were forced to via injury. They feel that they can get more out of Bell (if he ever gets healthy) and Co. and I happen to agree. You act like there is an irrefutable case for this guy....when all he's had is an average half season and doesn't really fit the style of play for the league at his position.

Again, where do I deviate from my argument? Just because I did not elaborate for 10 paragraphs in my initial post doesn't mean you can safely infer what I meant.

And the tallest midget on the basketball court is a metaphor. Just because you run the game vs. sub 4 footers doesn't mean you can play at the highest level. Pittsburgh was an average team with a way below average run game stats wise last year. Being the best back (at the time) and not really backing that up doesn't mean you are guaranteed another year on the team.

Members online

Latest posts