Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Announcement about new card company tonight at boomosbreaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
so boomo, after reading and busting the few cases, will you be busting more or are you done with Heroes of Sport?

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
i will do more if people want to buy it, but the tickets left a bad taste and I think the company needs to eliminate them.
No one would complain if they just eat those and charge a few hundred less per case. Otherwise, they may not be selling
all that much of this thru the case route.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I don't think they can just stop the Raffle and Lottery stuff mid-production. It leaves those holding the bag.

Interestingly, There are now enough people to be able to get every dollar back due to the illegality of the product and the grab bag/illegal lottery aspect. Boomo, be very careful with putting any more money into this product, as there is no doubt you'd be involved with the legal rpoceedings.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Highly doubt the product is illegal. I'm sure the company had lawyers who specialize in the area look into the legality of the product. Really don't see a difference between this and what topps does with the code cards. The product I believe is only sold by the box so you are guaranteed to get a card and/or items, not just the raffle ticket, and the fact you also receive points with the ticket I'm sure also is some sort of defense that it is not an illegal grab bag or lottery. I'm not an expert by any means in this area but I'd be very surprised if there are any legal issues with the product.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Highly doubt the product is illegal. I'm sure the company had lawyers who specialize in the area look into the legality of the product. Really don't see a difference between this and what topps does with the code cards. The product I believe is only sold by the box so you are guaranteed to get a card and/or items, not just the raffle ticket, and the fact you also receive points with the ticket I'm sure also is some sort of defense that it is not an illegal grab bag or lottery. I'm not an expert by any means in this area but I'd be very surprised if there are any legal issues with the product.

This isn't my first rodeo. Say what you want to about my attitude, but my analysis of most issues is typically dead on balls accurate (it's an industry term).

Here's the California Penal Code (of which Rick Vaughn is familiar as he played for their baseball team). Most other states have a code very similar to this, barring lotteries.

Penal Code Sec.319.

A lottery is any scheme for the disposal or distribution of property by chance, among persons who have paid or promised to pay any valuable consideration for the chance of obtaining such property or a portion of it, or for any share or any interest in such property, upon any agreement, understanding, or expectation that it is to be distributed or disposed of by lot or chance, whether called a lottery, raffle, or gift enterprise, or by whatever name the same may be known.

Penal Code Sec. 319.3.

319.3. (a) In addition to Section 319, a lottery also shall include a grab bag game which is a scheme whereby, for the disposal or distribution of sports trading cards by chance, a person pays valuable consideration to purchase a sports trading card grab bag with the understanding that the purchaser has a chance to win a designated prize or prizes listed by the seller as being contained in one or more, but not all, of the grab bags.

(b) For purposes of this section, the following definitions shall apply:

(1) "Sports trading card grab bag " means a sealed package which contains one or more sports trading cards that have been removed from the manufacturer's original packaging. A "sports trading card grab bag" does not include a sweepstakes, or procedure for the distribution of any sports trading card of value by lot or by chance, which is not unlawful under other provisions of law.

(2) "Sports trading card " means any card produced for use in commerce that contains a company name or logo, or both, and an image, representation, or facsimile of one or more players or other team member or members in any pose, and that is produced pursuant to an appropriate licensing agreement.

------

There is other legislation and statute, I believe in Georgia, that requires the sports card grab bag to have a clear and distinct "set" and checklist. This allows you to complete a set. This is why the Leaf product has "extra" cards -- so that you can complete the Leaf produced set in each product. This company isn't doing it.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Just because you do a Google search and copy and paste the first statute/code that pops up doesn't make you an expert on the subject. First I believe the company is located in Washington. I know your from Philly so doubt you're barred in Washington. Also since it involves a company that does business in multiple states I would think federal laws may be involved. What is your area of expertise? Unless you specialize in regulations involving gaming and/or gambling I don't think it's fair for you to make such a definitive statement as if you are certain it's illegal. I mean if I need brain surgery I don't go to a podiatrist. They may both be doctors but one is qualified to give a definitive opinion and do the surgery and the other is not. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't have an opinion or that you may not be ultimately right, just that for you to claim to know for sure it is illegal and act like an expert on the subject just because you are an attorney is a little presumptuous and borderline arrogant.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Just because you do a Google search and copy and paste the first statute/code that pops up doesn't make you an expert on the subject. First I believe the company is located in Washington. I know your from Philly so doubt you're barred in Washington. Also since it involves a company that does business in multiple states I would think federal laws may be involved. What is your area of expertise? Unless you specialize in regulations involving gaming and/or gambling I don't think it's fair for you to make such a definitive statement as if you are certain it's illegal. I mean if I need brain surgery I don't go to a podiatrist. They may both be doctors but one is qualified to give a definitive opinion and do the surgery and the other is not. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't have an opinion or that you may not be ultimately right, just that for you to claim to know for sure it is illegal and act like an expert on the subject just because you are an attorney is a little presumptuous and borderline arrogant.

Is your response meant to be serious?

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009

Wow, I don't post as much on these boards as I used to, but just Wow!

I've read a ton of your posts and you just come out "Guns-a-blazin'" on everything you think you know, huh?

Jeff may be abrasive and hard to take at times, but if he just "cut and paste" what he did, I'm sure its just because he didn't feel like typing it out.

It's well known that he was the reason that BG added the "set" of cards to his buyback products to avoid situations just like what is happening with this product.

And I don't know him personally, but I'm pretty sure he's in Florida, not Philly.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Hey guys keep investing in these used cars salesman, it only can end well.

Nothing like buying some guys old crap cards for 3x's the price 80 percent of the time. And oh yeah btw he isn't going to align himself with a known website no he will be behind a curtain laughing at you.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Just because you dont know how to interpret legalese and what Jeff posted--or maybe you just think you're smarter than him and don't want to believe it--doesn't make it so.

Also, I believe Jeff has helped BG out when it came to a situation like this.

Either way, I'm inclined to believe Jeff, a guy who may have strong opinions but usually contributes facts, over you who contributes really nothing.

Last edited:

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
I hate to bring it up again, and I did the research years ago in regard to he shall not be named, which prompted his own attorneys to do the same, and reach the same conclusion: even without the lottery cards, this is most likely an illegal grab-bag/lottery type promotion. With the lottery/raffle cards, it's clearly same.

First thing I thought of when I read about the lottery aspect. I won't say that it's prohibited, but I will say that this area is heavily regulated by state and federal law, and the company better have its ducks in a row from a legal standpoint.

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
You can believe every word Jeff says, because he's a lawyer, all you want. What do I care.

If you didn't care, you wouldn't post.

Unless Mario75 is going to pay me $300-350 an hour, I'm not going to provide further analysis for him. If he's truly interested, search my 9000+ posts and find a Leaf Rookie Retro thread from 3 years ago. I gave a relatively complete legal analysis there. Unfortunately, I didn't save it to any network as it is completely irrelevant to my every day life. That was research I did because I was curious on the issue and I had a desire to prove that I was right (which is one reason I'm good at what I do). BG took that info, ran it past his own attorneys, who obviously found enough information there to add content to the product. To his credit, he'll take all of the information he can in on his products and do what he can to make them better. I feel pretty confident that I'm right.

And if I'm not, I can still sleep well at night. WHile the law is on the books, it's damn hard to enforce when this product isn't in any real retail channel, and even if it was, it would take someone actually wanting to enforce it from the criminal side (ie an injunction on the sale of the product). Where it comes into play is if there's a class action claim to try to obtain a refund as the product was illegal to sell in the first place. Depending on how much of this is sold, someone may actually take up the claim. It won't be me, I can assure you of that.

I've read enough of Mario75's posts to realize that there's not a whole lot of intellect behind them. I believe same has been questioned numerous times in the past. It's like a grownup Miggy.

Thanks for the words, folks.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
If you didn't care, you wouldn't post.

Unless Mario75 is going to pay me $300-350 an hour, I'm not going to provide further analysis for him. If he's truly interested, search my 9000+ posts and find a Leaf Rookie Retro thread from 3 years ago. I gave a relatively complete legal analysis there. Unfortunately, I didn't save it to any network as it is completely irrelevant to my every day life. That was research I did because I was curious on the issue and I had a desire to prove that I was right (which is one reason I'm good at what I do). BG took that info, ran it past his own attorneys, who obviously found enough information there to add content to the product. To his credit, he'll take all of the information he can in on his products and do what he can to make them better. I feel pretty confident that I'm right.

And if I'm not, I can still sleep well at night. WHile the law is on the books, it's damn hard to enforce when this product isn't in any real retail channel, and even if it was, it would take someone actually wanting to enforce it from the criminal side (ie an injunction on the sale of the product). Where it comes into play is if there's a class action claim to try to obtain a refund as the product was illegal to sell in the first place. Depending on how much of this is sold, someone may actually take up the claim. It won't be me, I can assure you of that.

I've read enough of Mario75's posts to realize that there's not a whole lot of intellect behind them. I believe same has been questioned numerous times in the past. It's like a grownup Miggy.

Thanks for the words, folks.

I never said you were wrong. I mentioned how everyone was jumping down the dude's throat for questioning you, as if you are infallible and can't be wrong about anything. That's it. Everyone needs to chill the hell out. As I said, this is baseball cards. Jesus.

Members online