Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should Finest return to the Tiered version from the 90's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Back in the mid 90s, Finest set was changed to tiered levels named common (bronze), uncommon (silver) and rare (gold).

Common level were several cards a pack while uncommon was harder and rare cards were one a box (I believe).

Obviously, the refractors in uncommon and rare were much harder than common level.

So, should topps change up the base set (refractors and all it's colors are a different story) like this or not?

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I think it's a good idea, Finest has been completely forgettable (outside of the 1993 Refractor-style cards in 2013) for several years.

mrniceguy1126

Oct 6, 2008
NEPA
Bring back the 1 refractor per box odds, and quit releasing so many damn refractor colors.

How can people build a rainbow??? Seriously though, this would be a drastic change that I'd be in favor of. It'd probably annoy a lot of people who like "X number of hits" and lots of color.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
How can people build a rainbow??? Seriously though, this would be a drastic change that I'd be in favor of. It'd probably annoy a lot of people who like "X number of hits" and lots of color.

I was excited for the 1994 parallels this year, but screw that. I'll just buy a box or two of the 94 set and enjoy the old fashioned way of collecting. :)

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
The only way they could do all the colored refractors in the tiers would be to number them different.

So something like this:

Blue refractors
Common cards /199
Un common cards /150
Rare cards /100

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I think the whole point of going "old school" on it for me would be to get rid of all the various color refractors. Doing different rarity levels with 10 different color refractors would suck.

You do it like the 1997 set, with regular refractor versions of the bronze/silver/gold, plus rarer die-cut/embossed refractors for silver/gold.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
So how does this sound?

Base set broken down into common (bronze), un common (silver) and rare (gold).

Obviously, the rarity of each refractor or die cut is dependant on the tier it's paralleling.

Refractor parallel of all cards
Atomic refractor parallel of all cards
Die cut parallel of all cards
Die cut refractor parallel all cards

I just don't think topps would be willing to do embossed due to costs. They have had die cuts in many products over the years though.

As for colored refractors, they would clash with the colors of the tiered cards so they are out.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts