Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mouschi's Rolling Canseco Pickup Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I had a picture of a nice new shiny rainbow autograph set I was going to post up today, but it will have to wait. Today, I got it a few squares that appear to have completed a neat little oddball chapter in my collection.

Based upon my research, these discs were produced by MSA (Mike Schechter Associates) for various grocery store chains and bakeries. MSA produced several sets of these in the 80's and 90's from Fantastic Sam's to give away for free whenever you got a haircut, to Hostess potato chips, to Iced Tea. You will see what appears to be the exact same disc several times, with different company brands on it.

Most/all (I don't know) came in 3 panel perforated form, and many had an offer to allow you to send in some discs along with money in the mail to receive a promotional press sheet calendar. depicting the entire set, full size These calendars typically had the disc artwork in square form.

As calendars are not too collectible, and difficult to store, many have been cut down to squares, and sold off. Many of the cut square backs have the exact same statistic information on the reverse side, just like the discs. Many try to sell these off as "proofs", but the fact of the matter is that they are highly collectible in cut disc form.

The discs and squares both range from fairly easy to obtain, to extremely tough to get your hands on.

To me, there isn't a mind-blowing story on these that I have uncovered. It is fascinating, nonetheless, to know how the discs were produced & distributed, and what had to happen to get the cut square promos. Here is what I believe to be the entire run of MSA discs/squares of Jose Canseco. If you know of any that I am missing, please let me know! (It looks like a King B disc / square pairing made its way into this evening's showcase as well...whoops!)

20150629_223517.jpg

20150629_223546.jpg

20150629_223651.jpg

These are the ones that I don't believe to have had the calendar offer for, so therefore there are no sister disc squares to match them with. If you know this to be wrong though, let me know!
20150629_223715.jpg

Last edited:

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Can't see the pics , I'd like to see the run you have n compare to the Will run I have

Ryan

How about now? Canseco wasn't in several of the MSA sets, surprisingly enough.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I have truly enjoyed the latest cards offered by Topps, Panini and Leaf. Though P & L are not able to show team logos, I love some of the stuff they put out. It probably "cheapens" the individual auto, but I am a sucker for rainbows, variations and color.

The other day, I picked up the last prizm color horizontal autograph, making it a complete run, aside from the 1/1.

prizm.jpg

There is the regular, checkered, camo, tye-dye, red/white/blue & the gold. I think they look great altogether!

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
I have truly enjoyed the latest cards offered by Topps, Panini and Leaf. Though P & L are not able to show team logos, I love some of the stuff they put out. It probably "cheapens" the individual auto, but I am a sucker for rainbows, variations and color.

The other day, I picked up the last prizm color horizontal autograph, making it a complete run, aside from the 1/1.

prizm.jpg

There is the regular, checkered, camo, tye-dye, red/white/blue & the gold. I think they look great altogether!

Ive been out of the loop with modern releases for a while, but those are great looking cards. Are those from BG?

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Ive been out of the loop with modern releases for a while, but those are great looking cards. Are those from BG?

They are Panini Prizm cards - they made another version as well which I'm sure will show up in this thread soon ... and I like them even better than the ones I posted tonight.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
About 16 years ago, you may recall Fleer putting out a set by the name of Brilliants. The base cards feature a chrome mirror like finish, and had a very premium look by itself. Very classy looking card. I remember seeing them from time to time whenever I would go through huge collections I purchased, and would find a Canseco. I would be ecstatic because it was so nice looking!

Later on down the road, when I got more serious into my PC, I sought out the parallels as well. They had a blue version, which was insanely beautiful - I was able to get my hands on that next, and they also had a gold version which was drop dead gorgeous. It was numbered to 99, and I think I've only seen one up for sale, which was from former Canseco supercollector [MENTION=2239]1st4040[/MENTION].

20150723_152515.jpg

I LOVE these types of rainbows.

But, there is one final parallel to the set. A 24kt gold version with a rainbow type finish and numbered to /24. This was pie in the sky for me - especially when you have guys like Griffey selling for $1,500. Heck, even the Thome recently went for $400.

I've only seen 2 others, and they are from 2 other fellow Canseco super collectors who wouldn't give theirs up if their lives depended on it ... or for anything less than $500 I'd imagine :)

I just so happened to be having the right conversation with the right person at the right time. This person JUST pulled it from a pack! I made an offer and he accepted! Here is my precious ...

20150723_152515g.jpg

And now, all in a row ...

20150723_152652.jpg

What's that you say? The pictures show my new treasure in different card holders? Well, I couldn't very well stage it with the others in a different holder, now could I? Don't judge me - you know you would do it too.

Anyway, I'm still mega hyped about my new pickup today. I didn't know if I would ever see one, and as it turns out - this particular copy has only been seen by the guy who pulled it, and me ... until now.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Congrats!

Thanks man! BTW, I'd love to see your collection at some point. I am not sure if I have heard of any person on the planet have as many cards of the same guy as you.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
When Topps decided to bring Canseco back into the lineup in 2014, there was much rejoicing in the mouschi household. Gypsy Queen was a particularly smooth release, because it mixed an old-timey look & feel with on card autographs. In typical Topps fashion, you didn't just have one card of your player to get. You could have several.

Here is my little rainbow sans the 1/1.

20150815_003720.jpg

They are numbered to /10, /25, /49 and the no number. Interestingly enough, it looks as though Topps was messing with us in some of these short prints by making the non numbered cards in a lower print run than some that are serial numbered. Believe it or not, the unnumbered short print was the last one I picked up. It really makes you wonder how many of them are out there.

Members online

Latest posts