Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where Did Everyone Go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I said above that I wasn't angry about it, though I never understood it. Our conversations there would rarely have taken away from conversation happening here. But by offering us a home and then taking it away, you directly removed some very knowledgeable members from your ranks.

In the end, I'm sure it was a drop in the bucket for membership, but those little things add up.

They indeed do. I'm sorry that went the way it did. You were and are a great example of class.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Well what do ya know? My password actually worked this time so I could log onto this place!! I'm still alive and kicking! I just had a really short fuse when I tried to log on in previous attempts. Couldn't remember my password and was pissed to have to ask for it. I guess it was a pride thing! Anyways, I appreciate the shoutout Dave.

I love you Brian ! :p

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
If it is any consolation, You are one of the members I have wondered what happened to. Are you also the one who had a niece/nephew who were battling a debilitating disease? I seem to remember that you were somehow connected to them and they used to send periodic emails detailing their journey but I have not seen one in quite some time.

I still lurk and post really randomly. I'm coming up on a big milestone for my Astros autograph project, so I'm sure I'll have a thread about it soon.

That was actually a very good friend of mine, Gary Carter. I'm glad you mentioned it, because I haven't talked to him in a few weeks.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Here's my take on why folks left:

1) The software. Again, as many that want to say it wasn't the case, it was. Folks, like fickle trading card aficionado's like us, like things to basically stay the same, with the occasional tweak or twist (not of the nipples, of course, unless you're into that thing). I can't even recall what the software was before the change, so, it shouldn't be an end all be all deal where it changed and you left, as something else must've precipitated that move away from FCB.

2) Some mods. Again, I know that some of the mods have a short fuse. Nothing wrong with that at all, as I'm in that same boat. Most every mod, every time I've interacted with them, has been cordial and listened to whatever jibberish I was spewing. I know in some instances, though, there were, what seemingly looked like grudges held against members. Now, were the mods in the right ? Most likely, yes, but, when posting on a forum and having the 'Mod' under their user name, the PM system would be a better system to use or have more colorful discussions. Again, most members that get a boot or public ***** slap needed it, but, sometimes, it seemed, even for me, that it was a bit premature.

3) The hobby direction. 5 years ago, how many raffle sites where there ? How many group breakers were there ? There was BlogTV, where I hung out w/other hobby friends, that, may break a box or two of something they picked up, for themselves, to share with everyone. Now, everyone and their grandmother's mortician is breaking boxes in every corner of the world and trying to cash in on being a breaker. Yes, I know there are some wonderful ones that aren't all about money, but take a look at Breakers.tv. Or Ustream.com The amount of folks opening boxes is unreal. I equate it to having a hot dog eating contest, but it's a box breaking contest.

And, it may just be me, but that personal connection is basically lost in raffles / group breaks. Sure, some of those folks may know who you collect, but that doesn't really mean a damn thing in breaking. Raffles, you may get someone to message you privately about buying something outright, but why give a deal when there's money to be made ?!?!?!

4) Companies / products. Too many, too expensive, too similar and flooded with redemptions that moronic C.S. reps can't fulfill.

(edit) 5) Life. We grow older and if something or someone comes into or out of our lives, priorities change. Losing someone, having a kid, getting a g/f / b/f or married, moving, etc. All of that can change ones priorities from cardboard to family.

6) No [MENTION=1727]ThoseBackPages[/MENTION] :(

Just my $0.02

Last edited:

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
They indeed do. I'm sorry that went the way it did. You were and are a great example of class.

I always try, but fail more than I'd like to admit.

Like I said, I have no hard feelings. Many of the TCs post here regardless. I'd be willing to be half of us don't even remember WHY we were mad at FCB. :lol:

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I still lurk and post really randomly. I'm coming up on a big milestone for my Astros autograph project, so I'm sure I'll have a thread about it soon.

That was actually a very good friend of mine, Gary Carter. I'm glad you mentioned it, because I haven't talked to him in a few weeks.

When you talk to him please find out how the children are doing. The last I remember they are adjusting well and are probably well into high school by now or maybe even in college.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I think the Facebook groups, be it just general groups or razzes and trade sites, have become much more popular than most folks who don't use them realize...

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Miguelcabrera posted here a few weeks ago. He tried to get chat going again, as usual, and everyone ignored him, as usual, so he left.

I miss Gary Carter the Lew Ford collector. He was a good guy. And I wish Eric, thosebackpages, would start posting again.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Miguelcabrera posted here a few weeks ago. He tried to get chat going again, as usual, and everyone ignored him, as usual, so he left.

I miss Gary Carter the Lew Ford collector. He was a good guy. And I wish Eric, thosebackpages, would start posting again.

TBP is consumed with twitter and comics; other faster paced social media outlets have hurt the smaller web forums

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

[MENTION=2449]glc00[/MENTION]
lewx.jpg

[h=1][/h]

Members online

No members online now.