Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

LUCAS GIOLITO/DANE DUNNING/REYNALDO LOPEZ TRADED TO THE WHITE SOX FOR ADAM EATON!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Per Jon Heyman.

Holy ****. Holy ****.

Kenny Williams, you're a genius.

Their system has gone from the 20's to a possible top five over the past 48 hours.

Last edited:

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I have no dog in this fight...but I think it fair to say WTF were the Nats thinking??? Paid way too much.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
(phone rings)
Rizzo: Hey, we'd like to offer you Giolito, Lopez and Dunning for McCutchen.
Huntington: Sorry, we'll pass.
(hangs up)

(phone rings)
Rizzo: Hey, we'd like to offer you Giolito, Lopez and Dunning for Eaton.
Hahn: Deal.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I echo that the Nats got absolutely ripped off.

Tweet of the night by Casey Stern:
Ever go to a frat party and at 4am guys/girls alike are dead set on NOT going home alone, so they get desperate & make a mistake? See: #Nats

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I've been listening to Chicago am radio these last two days, since they're the only ones talking baseball (I live in Madison, WI). When I heard this, I missed the lead-in on the story and I thought, FOR SURE, they were discussing a deal that DIDN'T happen between Chicago and Washington that would have been for Chris Sale. I'm listening to the whole thing thinking "yeah, that's a little light for Sale, they were smart to keep shopping"; then, when dude recapped the segment and said this was a done deal for Eaton, I almost drove off the road.

They could have had Bruan for that.

My worry now is that the success Chicago is having is going to make people anxious to make deals just to keep up.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I may be biased but i think the Nats gave up more for Eaton than the Red Sox gave up for Sale

Not true at all. Moncadas ceiling is sky high (think Cano with more speed if everything clicks) and Kopech is developing into a frontline starter. I think the Nats are a little bit down on Giolito after his fastball command took a step in the wrong direction in 16' and he hasn't developed his changeup like they hoped he would. It may take him at least a few years to possibly reach his potential and the Nats figured Eaton would give them a better chance to win a WS during that span.

I think Eaton has to be the most underrated player in the majors, he has the 13th highest WAR [6.2] in baseball last season and has arguably the most team friendly contract in baseball at less than $8m/year for the next 5 years, which is at least $80m in surplus value based on WAR projections. Oh yeah, he's also one of if not the best defensive OFer.

Nats now have a much better team with Eaton improving the defense tenfold which brings Turner back to his natural position and now they have a true leadoff hitter who gets on base at a very high rate. I think all 3 teams made out very well in these trades, even if the price does seem steep based on future projections for those prospects.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I'm a fan of what Eaton brings to a ball club. Im glad he's in Washington. They gave up a lot of potential for those five years of control, and think/hope will get great value of out of his contract. That being said, I can't ever see myself putting a lot of weight/worth into WAR or UZR. I understand advanced metrics are a huge part of the game, but not to the point that the numbers get so deep that it overrules the eye test.

Jul 22, 2016
How are the same prospects mentioned for Chris Sale the same as for Eaton? Nice haul for Sox

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
How are the same prospects mentioned for Chris Sale the same as for Eaton? Nice haul for Sox

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Eaton is every bit as valuable as Sale is, based on his contract which is two more years at $5m AAV less. It would have taken a very similar package if they were to trade for Eaton instead.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
The thing is, if Washington blows up this team after Harper is gone, and Eaton is still going strong, you can flip him (with potentially a few contract years) for something nice.

Members online