Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Clayton Kershaw is back to his dominant self.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
EDIT: Glad to see Kershaw is the best pitcher in baseball again.
Go Dodgers!

Clayton Kershaw just hasn't been his usually dominant self this year so far, as of mid-May.
After today's game, he's now 2-3 with a 4.32 era. He's lost as many games as he lost the entire 2014 season.

I thought he just had a mediocre April and he would dominate the rest of the year like he always does. But he has a horrible 5.03 era in four May starts.

And in nine starts this season, he's already walked more than half of the batters he walked all of last season.

I'm a Dodgers and Kershaw fan, and don't want to hear the usual responses of "he'll be okay."
He's not just having bad luck because the big increase in walks show his control is off.

For those of you who have watched him closely this year, what's different? Is he playing through an injury? Are his mechanics off?

Last edited:

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Clayton Kershaw just hasn't been his usually dominant self this year.
After today's game, he's now 2-3 with a 4.32 era. He's lost as many games as he lost the entire 2014 season.

I thought he just had a mediocre April and he would dominate the rest of the year like he always does. But he has a horrible 5.03 era in four May starts.

And in nine starts this season, he's already walked more than half of the batters he walked all of last season.

I'm a Dodgers and Kershaw fan, and don't want to hear the usual responses of "he'll be okay."
He's not just having bad luck because the big increase in walks show his control is off.

For those of you who have watched him closely this year, what's different? Is he playing through an injury? Are his mechanics off?

Ready for this? Nothing is wrong with Kershaw. His pitch mix is the same, along with his velocity. The results have been vastly different because of team defense and shifting alignments.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ready for this? Nothing is wrong with Kershaw. His pitch mix is the same, along with his velocity. The results have been vastly different because of team defense and shifting alignments.
In nine starts, he has more than half of the walks he had the entire 2014 season. That has nothing to do with defense and shifting alignments. His control is way off.

And why is teammate Zach Greinke dominating with a 1.52 era with the same defense behind him?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
His K rate is at a career best. His BB rate is higher than last season but largely in line with his career numbers. He has not been as dominant but I don't see any clear indicators something is wrong with him. Just not getting the results yet...

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
In nine starts, he has more than half of the walks he had the entire 2014 season. That has nothing to do with defense and shifting alignments. His control is way off.

And why is teammate Zach Greinke dominating with a 1.52 era with the same defense behind him?

His walk rate last season is not in line with his career numbers, it was a historic season. If you expect that going forward, you are always going to be let down. You are right that walks do not have to do with defense and shifting alignments but the extremely high BABIP does. Kershaw is a lefty and Greinke is a righty and it seems the defensive alignments have favored that, with Greinke having a career low BABIP that is well below his career average in their small sample size in this still young season.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Like I wrote, I'm a Kershaw fan and hope he does well. I'm just surprised by his 4.32 era.

An ESPN article tonight makes it sound like he was overthrowing early in the season, and now he might be getting tired.

Kershaw’s velocity was down a little bit on Thursday and he admitted he didn’t “have a whole lot in the tank, honestly. It just wasn’t coming out for whatever reason,” Kershaw said. “It’s tough."

Maybe he thought he had something to prove this season after the bad playoffs and living up to his awesome regular season, so he just tried to blow away every hitter, which is why his only great stat so far is Ks.

He has a 5.03 era in four mediocre May starts. To say something's not different makes no sense.

Last edited:

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Kershaw could be trying to play through an injury but it's hard to tell. I hope he is healthy and if he is I think he will turn it around. The Killer P's (Giants) are part of the problem.;-)

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
I watched the game today and Kershaw looks fine. He's not the same guy he was for most of last season but he's not far off. Even as a giant fan I hope he's not hurt, the dodgers couldn't afford to lose another starter, especially Kershaw.
What I did consider when watching him and bumgarner was how much more effort Kershaws delivery vs bumgarner. Kershaws mechanics will be more difficult to repeat than bumgarner. His mechanics are funky because of his lower half. His arm is in a good position but that hitch in his delivery may be tough to repeat when he gets into his 30's.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
His walk rate last season is not in line with his career numbers, it was a historic season. If you expect that going forward, you are always going to be let down.
I think that says it nicely. That's why last year was a big deal, it was historic. Its doubtful he'll ever have a season like that again just like its doubtful Mad Bum will have a postseason like that again. Although if I had to guess which is more likely I'd say Bum cuz you know, Dodgers suck!! :D

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I don't think anyone is too worried about Kershaw. He is posting the best K rates of his career and his K/BB is well above his career average. He is giving up hits at a higher rate (highest since his RC season) and is on pace to give up the most HRs in a single season for him. Those hits and HRs should normalize which will drop his ERA down to his career averages by the end of the season IMO.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I think it's because he became a father this offseason (and still has a fairly young infant baby).

The way I see it, kershaw as a new father, tiger woods in a monogamous relationship - not good for either of their careers! ;)

Really, I think it's just hard to keep up amazing numbers. You don't see a lot of closers have a long shelf life and it's the same with aces. Very few aces are amazing for most of a career - they all have some great years and some "poor" years by their reputation standards.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
Kershaws FIP is 2.89, nearly a run and a half lower than his ERA, which tells me he will be fine.

Who are the biggest player collectors of his on here? I want to sell my UD rookie auto of his, getting the card details now.

bedot

Dec 4, 2011
Does it even matter. He is a 3 time cy young winner and mvp. Shouldn't his cards remain stable now?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Does it even matter. He is a 3 time cy young winner and mvp.
Shouldn't his cards remain stable now?
Who cares about his card values. We're not all investors or speculators.
As a Kershaw and Dodgers fan, of course I want to know why Kershaw has a 4.32 era this year, so I asked if anyone's noticed anything.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Who cares about his card values. We're not all investors or speculators.
As a Kershaw and Dodgers fan, of course I want to know why Kershaw has a 4.32 era this year, so I asked if anyone's noticed anything.

Dare I say he might have been the subject of increased film scrutiny to pick up on certain habits so hitters could figure him out s bit easier? You know Kluber hasn't exactly been lights out this year either. Just a thought.

Btw, I don't prospect or speculate. I like buying proven MLB player's autos when the rest of the short sighted hobby is looking at the next hot thing. What's funny is many guys are a good buy as a solid player but get forgotten about(think miggy circa 2006 and 2007) and their stuff is cheaper. Then everyone comes to their senses and prices reflect that(long after I've scooped up what I can).

So yeah, if he has a bad season, it doesn't take away from who is or what he's done. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
He's married to a nice looking girl, but not a celebrity. I saw were u were going with that and its proven pretty true lately
Yeah, Kershaw married his high school sweetheart. They began dating when he was 15.

clayton-kershaws-wife-ellen-kershaw-twitter.jpg

Members online

Latest posts