Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Night Crew March 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Ok I updated eye appeal and now am thinking about which card to add, probably stick with the 90s insert theme.

Nice cards [MENTION=12878]death2redemptions[/MENTION]

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
It was a bittersweet day for me today. I decided to load up and go to Toys R Us for probably the last time ever. This company will forever hold a special place in my heart as it was the go to place after Tons O Toys and K&K and KayBee closed their doors. I remember going there as a kid and just walking the aisles in ecstasy. Wishing and hoping to find just one special toy to carry home with me. My dad made quick work in repairing lost time after he and my mom divorced by carrying my sister and I to our local TRU to shop. Its hard to believe that in a short future, they will no longer be in business. It was sad in a sense, as I perused the inventory, that many clearance tags were on the shelves and the markdowns had begun. I walked thru the aisles and took a fond trip down memory lane as I looked at Legos, Matchbox, HotWheels, and all kinds of action figures. Of course there were no cards there but it was still fun to reminisce about the good ole days when I would take every dime of allowance and go in to buy Legos, die cast cars, and sports cards. I'm sure gonna miss the place when it's gone.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
It was a bittersweet day for me today. I decided to load up and go to Toys R Us for probably the last time ever. This company will forever hold a special place in my heart as it was the go to place after Tons O Toys and K&K and KayBee closed their doors. I remember going there as a kid and just walking the aisles in ecstasy. Wishing and hoping to find just one special toy to carry home with me. My dad made quick work in repairing lost time after he and my mom divorced by carrying my sister and I to our local TRU to shop. Its hard to believe that in a short future, they will no longer be in business. It was sad in a sense, as I perused the inventory, that many clearance tags were on the shelves and the markdowns had begun. I walked thru the aisles and took a fond trip down memory lane as I looked at Legos, Matchbox, HotWheels, and all kinds of action figures. Of course there were no cards there but it was still fun to reminisce about the good ole days when I would take every dime of allowance and go in to buy Legos, die cast cars, and sports cards. I'm sure gonna miss the place when it's gone.

Likewise. Some days it feels like a million years ago I was a kid in a TRU, some days it feels like yesterday. :( Its the places that are disappearing like toy stores, arcades, record stores etc where you not only get to experience amazing sights everywhere but meet people you'd never otherwise meet and be apart of a specific culture. idk what happens next...

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I saw something a little while ago that said KayBee might be making a comeback now that TRU is going under. I would think that SOME company could put it together and create a national chain. People have to buy toys somewhere other than Amazon and Walmart so I would think maybe a smaller scale store would be able to compete. This really sucks.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
KayBee I don't have much experience with. Either I was in one 1 time or just have heard the name enough that I think I've been in one.

Remembering back to what I would buy/look at the most in a TRU:

1.Star Wars
2.Legos
3.WWF
4.GI Joe

Trying to think what else I would get there. hmm....

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I think they did a little on west coast but not enough to leave an impression.

Did TRA have MTG or was that too adult? I know they had a little sportscards and some Pokemon cards back in the late 90s.

....but we don't want to go down the path of talking about Pokemon again, do we ;)

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
My '90 Score one is cool but I like the idea of starting a TTM auto set the year it comes out and have the mere chance at hypothetical 100% completion. I started the Score one when Caminiti and maybe a few others were already dead.

I will have to keep a lookout for the common insert sets (the one that are 1 in every 2 or 3 packs, not Crusade style inserts!) that have a smaller checklist and don't look like horsht. :cool:

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Never done TTM, but I would think something like Heritage or Gypsy Queen would work. Everything else seems to have a glossy finish which SUCKS for the pens to adhere to. And I'm not one to put an eraser on my card fronts.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Never done TTM, but I would think something like Heritage or Gypsy Queen would work. Everything else seems to have a glossy finish which SUCKS for the pens to adhere to. And I'm not one to put an eraser on my card fronts.

It can be real fun if you like surprise mail... and I do mean *surprise*, as some cards will be out so long you forgot it was sent in the first place. :eek:
The other fun is being sarcastic. I wrote one to Dusty Baker talking about how "amazing" and "special" he was as a manager. :lol: I forget but I might have made a comment about clogging the bases, idk. He willingly signed.

Heritage is the main source usually but I'm mixed on whether I like this years throwback.

Members online